September 2014 Moms

What the heck is wrong with him????

my little boy is 14 weeks old and for the last two weeks unless he's sleeping eating or getting a whole lot of attention he is screaming. And it's hard to make him happy again after he starts crying. He used to be a baby that I could sit in his swing or bouncer or his play mat and he'd be happy until next feeding. I really don't understand. What should I do?? Is anyone else goin through this

Re: What the heck is wrong with him????

• I was going to say maybe it's the 3rd leap. It was rough for my LO too. Check out the Wonder Weeks app or book if you haven't already. It is very helpful!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree, it sounds like the third leap. I have the Wonder Weeks app to help give me an idea of what to expect and when they may happen.

• Probably closer to the 4th leap, no?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• what is the "3rd leap"?? I've never heard of this :-/

my son & I are sorta going thru the same, @nlhonaker‌. we just got back from a drive b/c I exhausted everything else.

I put him on his activity mat, which only works for a short period twice each day. he is liking his swing less and less. he seems to only be happy when he is on his back and my face (or his dad's) is in his face, talking, singing, etc...

I just chalked it up to him being bored w/ everything else. this is just the trials of parenting an infant, I guess. I tell myself it will pass.

• Thanks everyone. I have the wonder weeks app and it helps some but I thought he already went through the 3rd leap. It says the 4th one starts right about now. I wish I knew something that would help
  • Sometimes the leaps start early, so maybe 4 is starting now with him?  I heard it's a really rough leap.  Sorry you are going through this!
  • What's a "leap?"
    I'm sorry your baby was getting a little cranky, I hope he's been feeling better!
  • @paloma760‌ and @alexandrabb‌ the book and app explain it better, but as I understand it, leaps are basically periods of major cognitive development. Each one leaves the baby prepared to learn and do some specific kinds of new things, but they are fussier during the leap. The app is a couple bucks but it's nice knowing what to expect and seeing him start to do the things they mention.

@nlhonaker‌ I hope you guys get through this soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• My LO started her third leap according to the app and has been super cranky won't sleep in her crib and is also demanding attention just when I thought we finally settled into a good bedtime routine
  • Might be teeth.  My LOs gums are all swollen and he is chewy.  Might be that he can hold his head up and wants to be up now.  When my 2 y.o. was that old, she demanded that we hold her sitting up right or walk around with her because she wanted to see the world.  Didn't change until she could crawl, although she always enjoyed a walk in the stroller, so we lost some weight that spring.
  • My DS is 15 weeks and has been like this on and off for ages. I don't personally follow wonder weeks. His naps have also gotten noticeably shorter so we're working on that and hoping to improve his mood with more daytime sleep. For the time being, I put DS in a wrap carrier when he's being especially impatient. I just walk around doing light chores and the movement paired with being near to me is enough to keep him happy for ages!
  • I think today is worse than any other day...and it's only 11:30. :( I just hope this passes soon. I hate seeing him like this and it's making me go crazy. I'm ready for a nap. Thanks everyone. And @brachysira‌ that's what I've been thinking. He wants to chew on everything. If anything is in his reach he brings it to his mouth and goes to town on it. If it is teeth what is recommended?
  • Well, I don't know what to do about teething at this age.  A dose of infant tylenol if you really think he's in pain.  Sophie giraffe or cold teething rings if he's good at getting things to the right spot (A.J. mostly just gets stuff around his mouth).  When they are a little older, pieces of frozen banana in one of those mesh feeders was really popular.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"