Formula Feeding
Options

FF a newborn questions and intro

Hello everyone!  I just had my second daughter last week and I have a 3 year old.  I nursed my first daughter for 8 months and we dealt with tons of pain, cracked nipples, thrush, the works.  I feel like I was always in pain when she was young.  Now in the first week of my daughters life, I have already gotten mastitis and thrush.  I refuse to be miserable with this new beautiful baby and have decided to start formula feeding.  A couple questions for those who ff a newborn....how much should we be giving her?  Any favorite brands for a super young baby or does that not matter?  Thank you so much!

Re: FF a newborn questions and intro

• Options
    My baby has been eating similac advance 1 since she was 1 week old. We started with the liquid kind, then moved to the powder. I've also heard good things about enfamil, but I'm not sure that the brand matters all that much since its regulated by the FDA. My DD ate about 1.5oz every 2-3 hours the first week or so, then 2oz after that. It all kinda depends on your baby though, as to how much and how often.
  • Options
    We used Enfamil newborn and then when he turned about 3 months old we switched to the Target brand of Enfamil.  I don't think it matters too much and it's mostly a matter of which one the baby will take.  We have friends who tried off brands and their babies would refuse.  When our LO was a newborn, he was eating about 2 oz every 2-3 hours.  Babies are usually good letting you know when they've had enough to eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on the new baby! I would make a 2 oz bottle and see how it goes. We used Similac, but brand really doesn't matter. Just like with BFing, follow the baby's hunger cues. She will tell you when she's hungry, but don't go more than a few hours between feedings. Talk to your ped at her next appointment. Mine is a wealth of info (and free formula!).
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    Congrats! We use Enfamil Gentlease. We have also used the Target version of it but it seemed to make DD slightly constipated, so we switched back to the Enfamil brand. The brand doesn't really matter as long as your LO does well on it. In the first 2 weeks our DD ate maybe 1-2oz every 1-2hrs.

I would ask your pediatrician about how often to feed. In the first 2 weeks our DD's pedi ordered us not to let her go 2 hrs without feeding, to make sure she gains weight well. (When they are that young they can sleep through hunger). After her 2 week checkup we were allowed to let her sleep up to 5 hrs at night without feeding, then at her 1 month checkup we could just feed her on demand.

I like making one big batch of formula to use throughout the day...I use Dr. Brown's mixing pitcher for that.
  • Options
     Our twins were formula feeding when we left the hospital and on a schedule (thank you, nurses!) for 2-3 oz every 3 hours if I remember right? I might have little chunkers! :) We currently use Hipp First Infant Milk.  Most of the formulas I have tried have "recommended guidelines" per age or weight right on the package. Our pediatrician said any brand was okay, she just wanted to make sure the babies were getting the correct amount of calories, so maybe you could ask that at your next appointment? No matter what formula you use, I would suggest measuring the water first, then adding the formula.  Some people do it the other way around, but for me it always seems to dissolve better and then my kiddos seemed to digest it better.  Congratulations on your new baby!
  • Options

We used the Enfamily Newborn formula for the first 3 months. We tried some others but they all gave our LO such horrible gas. When he turned 3 months, we switched to Enfamil Gentlease.

Our little guy started our taking about 1.5-2 oz. at a time. He bumped up to 3 oz. within 2 or 3 weeks. I agree to start with 2 and see how much she wants. Good luck and congrats on your new addition! :)

• Options
    Congratulations on your little one! I went with Gerber Gentlease and have been using with my daughter since but every baby can be different so you may have to try a couple different brands to see which one will work best for your LO. I also agree with PPs about how much and when, it was about 2 oz every 1-2 hrs and just go from there as baby gets older.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"