August 2015 Moms
Options

Antibiotics? WWYD?

I believe my cold might be turning into a sinus infection... :( Normally in this situation I would call my doctor and get an antibiotic. If it gets to that point, WWYD? Call my GP that I see maybe one a year or call my OB because of the pregnancy? Also, any natural, non-medicated sinus infection remedies you swear by?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Antibiotics? WWYD?

• Options
    I am currently on my second round of antibiotics for a sinus infection. Different drugs each time, both category B which is safe during pregnancy. I would not suffer with a sinus infection. Also, use the netti pot or bottle, it helps a lot.
  • Options

Take the antibiotics.

You arent a Dr.... Are you sure you should tell her to take a medication?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Colloidal Silver works like an antibiotic.
  • Options
    Take the antibiotics.
    OP asked WWYD?  DId she not?

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    pmcd886pmcd886 member
    edited December 2014
    Are you a Dr.? Are you sure you should be telling her to take that? Is it safe during pregnancy? Have you researched studies? Gone to med school?

OP I would call my OB and see what she suggests. She might recommend you go to your GP and get checked out.
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    pmcd886 said:

Take the antibiotics.

I would assume that the Dr is prescribing it to her and not @bibliothecary, so yes. Doctors do know what is safe during pregnancy and plan accordingly. 

I know drs do, but she's not a Dr.
    pmcd886 said:

Are you a Dr.? Are you sure you should be telling her to take that? Is it safe during pregnancy? Have you researched studies? Gone to med school?

OP I would call my OB and see what she suggests. She might recommend you go to your GP and get checked out.

I didn't tell her to take it. Read carefully.
  • Options
    Take the antibiotics.
    I would assume that the Dr is prescribing it to her and not @bibliothecary, so yes. Doctors do know what is safe during pregnancy and plan accordingly. 
    I know drs do, but she's not a Dr.

I didn't tell her to take it. Read carefully.
    You're right you insinuated, my bad. 
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    No, did not insinuate. I offered information she can ask her Dr about.
  • Options
    No, did not insinuate. I offered information she can ask her Dr about.
    You did not say ask your doctor about ___________. You said, " ________ works like an antibiotic." 
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    pmcd886pmcd886 member
    edited December 2014
    pmcd886 said:

JFC are you serious @pmcd886?

Doesn't it go without saying that you would go to a real doctor when asking all of these medical questions? OP did ask for our advice, that's what @bibliothecary did.

I think it goes without saying that you would talk to your doctor after discussing here, but I don't know, maybe people need it spelled out for them. 

Lolz. I was mocking the questions she was asking biblio, but ok.

Edit: She was doing it over here, because she got asked by a couple of posters in another post to give accurate information.
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! For the good advice and the lively conversation... :x I love this place!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know about you folks, but I'm a hot mess today. 
    Is that your version of an apology for freaking out?
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    I have a sinus infection and my OB recommended trying sudafed first and trying to prevent it from becoming a secondary bacterial issue. So she thinks what I have going on is viral, i guess, fwiw.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pmcd886 said:
    I don't know about you folks, but I'm a hot mess today. 
    Is that your version of an apology for freaking out?
    Now it isn't.  Freaking out huh?  I wasn't the only one to take your post seriously.  
    As long as we're on the same page. It didn't really come across as one. For me, "JFC" is not something used lightly. So call it whatever you want, but I feel like it was pretty uncalled for. All I have to say to you not being the only one taking my post seriously is, ok. If you read through I think for the most part people got it, but maybe not. 
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    pmcd886  After re-reading the thread, I can see I completely misread.  My SINCERE apologies!!!!
    Thank you. I really do appreciate it.
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    I have a sinus infection and my OB recommended trying sudafed first and trying to prevent it from becoming a secondary bacterial issue. So she thinks what I have going on is viral, i guess, fwiw.
    Just an FYI, when I was pregnant with DD, I was told sudafed was not safe until after the first trimester.  Check with your OB in case things have changed in 3 years.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options
    LilMonster2LilMonster2 member
    edited December 2014
    lcwed said:

Just an FYI, when I was pregnant with DD, I was told sudafed was not safe until after the first trimester.  Check with your OB in case things have changed in 3 years.

Quote fail-------
    Yea, I looked it up and didn't end up taking it because of what I was reading. I guess I was just more pointing out that it doesn't necessarily have to be a bacterial issue, in which case antibiotics won't do anything.

Edit: also thanks for looking out :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I second a sinus rinse- I use the Neil Med squirt bottle instead of the Neti Pot but same concept. It sounds gross (it is gross and weird) but it really works!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hi Jaleigh I always get sinus infections that eventually lead to bronchitis. Before I was pregnant my PC doctor knew I was TTC and gave me a safe nasal spray. Now that I am preggo, I came down with a bad cough and chest infection and he gave me a Z Pac aka Azithromycin he said it is safe and told me that I could take Robotussin over the counter. So I say go to your doctor and I am sure he or she will give you safe meds. Natural remedies can help too, ie, netti pot, Vicks Vapor rub or Humidifiers. Good luck
  • Options
    I also do the sinus rinse bottle instead of the pot and I use it morning and night, sick or not. I love that thing. Just make sure you lean over and tilt your head down far enough. I let my sinus infection go on too long and ended up with terrible pink-eye, so better to be seen and get it taken care of then to let it get worse imo.
  • Options
    I second a sinus rinse- I use the Neil Med squirt bottle instead of the Neti Pot but same concept. It sounds gross (it is gross and weird) but it really works!
    Neti pot is the shizz-nit.  (Or the actual concept, if not the pot itself). 
    Neti pot is the most awesome thing in the world, seriously. I discovered it when we moved here, because I'm a runner and we live in the boonies and I was inhaling all sorts of insanity and then feeling like death. That thing is a life saver, once you get the hang of it.

Getting the hang of it is an adventure in and of itself :D
    Mommy to Teddy (2), born May 14, 2012

Americans living in the Middle of Nowhere, Germany

• Options
    Ok nasal rinse people- that's my next step. All I can think about is how bad it feels getting water up my nose. Is it going to feel like that?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Make an appt with your GP and tell them your pregnant so that if they have to prescribe you something, they give you something on the safe list. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ok nasal rinse people- that's my next step. All I can think about is how bad it feels getting water up my nose. Is it going to feel like that?
    If you do it wrong, it can for a second. But you'll discover the "right" way pretty quickly! I think the bottle is an easier introduction than the pot. I used that to start and graduated to the ceramic neti pot after a month or so.
    Mommy to Teddy (2), born May 14, 2012

Americans living in the Middle of Nowhere, Germany

• Options
    Not really. It doesn't burn the way water does when you're swimming, something about the pH of the solution vs regular water? It's a weird feeling, but (with the squirt bottle) you have to use enough force for the water to come out the other nostril. The first time I did it I wasn't leaning forward enough or squeezing the bottle hard enough and most of it ran down my throat. There's an instructional video on their website that helped me get the hang of it. I put off trying it for the longest time because I was so weirded out by it, but now I'm a little obsessed with it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Quote fail------- Yea, I looked it up and didn't end up taking it because of what I was reading. I guess I was just more pointing out that it doesn't necessarily have to be a bacterial issue, in which case antibiotics won't do anything. Edit: also thanks for looking out :)
    Of course.  I didn't have time to search, but I just remember getting a really bad sinus infection and having to make due with Affrin.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options
    I am recovering from Strep Throat. I am still taking Amoxicillin which is a type B & safe for the baby :). Your doc will steer you in the right direction.
  • Options

Not gonna lie, I find it incredibly uncomfortable but totally worth it when it's over and my sinuses feel so much better. It's a different feeling than getting water up your nose though (assuming you're doing it right).

BabyFetus Ticker
    image    image
    August '15 January Siggy Challenge: Favorite Mean Girls
    Nancy Downs - The Craft

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"