September 2014 Moms
Options

Poopies or no poopies

DD is almost 12 weeks old (this Sunday) and since birth has always had poop just about every diaper - about 5-6 a day. About a week ago, it changed so she started averaging only has 2 poops a day. She is EBF. Anyone else have a change like this in LO's poop? I don't know if it's just her, or maybe my diet? Although, I haven't changed my eating habits...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poopies or no poopies

• Options
    Yea my DS poops once a day and a occasionally 2 times but his formula feed now. But when I was Bf it was the same the only thing that changed is that it's thicker now and more stinky. DS pediatrician said it is normal for baby to go up to 5 days w/o pooping just as long as it looks normal
  • Options
    Things are decreasing in quantity here also. I still get several dirty diapers every day but none overnight and usually one mid morning, and most happen in the evening but total is 5 or so all day compared to the 86 it was. (Slight exaggeration but it sure felt like 86!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS is 12 weeks and for the last few weeks has been going every 3-4 days. I was giving one bottle of formula a night before bed so I thought that was the cause but I haven't given any formula for 6 days and we are sure currently on day 3 without poop. If he goes more than 4 days I give him a suppository.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I wasn't expecting the change and I had forgotten that it was normal for BF babies to poop less often. Thanks for the reminder and the reassurance!
  • Options
    meganmccr said:
    My DS is 12 weeks and for the last few weeks has been going every 3-4 days. I was giving one bottle of formula a night before bed so I thought that was the cause but I haven't given any formula for 6 days and we are sure currently on day 3 without poop. If he goes more than 4 days I give him a suppository.
    i hope youve talked to your pedi about this first. this seems way too overreactive to me, especially if you are almost exclusively breastfeeding. my pedi indicates that FF babies can go up to 7 days without pooping and EBF babies can go up to 14. he cautions against artificially stimulating the reflex because it can cause the baby to "forget" how to use those muscles to voluntarily control when to poop. not all pedi's agree but 4 days is way off...

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have some little poops in most diapers but most of the time he has one big one in the morning and one big one at night. EBF.
  • Options
    My LO was going a few times a day, then suddenly went 4 days without going. I was starting to get worried because she seemed uncomfortable, but I think she was just adjusting to a new normal. She goes once a day or every other day now. EBF.

• Options
    Glycerine suppositories are not a stimulant so you cannot get dependent on them. They just help the poop slide out. He becomes very uncomfortable after 4 days therefore intervention is necessary. Pedi first said to add prune juice to his bottles but that did nothing so I asked about suppositories which she said were ok too.
  • Options
    My FF baby was the poop meister. He pooped every change then settled on twice/day for weeks. Then abruptly at 10.5 wks it stopped cold turkey. He didn't go for 3 days and I panicked and called the dr. She said it's normal some baby's only poop 1-2 times a WEEK! I talked to a preemie mom who said she gave her son a syringe of baby prune juice. We tried it..... And the drs rectal temp suggestion and finally he did go but it was really hard. Then averaged out but now is still going every 2-3 days.

Hope that helps
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"