March 2015 Moms
Options

Registering..So confused..

Ok..So I'm a military wife stationed in Hawaii. All of my DH's and my family live in Texas. I've had a few people say they wanted to throw a baby shower here, but I haven't heard anything in a while about it. At this point, I'm not sure if I should register. There are very limited options for registering here that can be accessed on the main land; and we've actually got some places here that are less expensive, but I can't register at. I'm wondering if maybe I should take a poll on FB and see what people think I should do. I figured I'd ask here first. Would it be rude to ask if people would prefer I register, so they can buy actual gifts? Should I maybe have the registry and also let people know that we would prefer gift cards/money so we can get it at a cheaper price? I know this isn't worded very well...And I'm not expecting anything present wise. But a few family members have been asking and so I just want to make sure I'm making an intelligent decision on how to handle it...TIA ^_^

Re: Registering..So confused..

• Options
    I could register online. There are 2 problems. One is that most of our family member's aren't computer savvy. The other is the cost of shipping here is super expensive...I'm about to just tell everyone not to worry about getting us gifts. Lol It's way too hard to make them all happy..
  • Options
    That helps a lot actually. Thanks. ^__^
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just a thought- register at Target. I know they have free shipping right now, and I'm pretty sure it includes Alaska and Hawaii. Those that ask, or close with, I would send them the link, and tell them to take advantage of the free shipping if they plan to buy anything. Or, if shipping isn't free, you can always pick it up in stores. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I also wanted to add that I ship frequently to Alaska and Hawaii, and I found that Priority Mail, flat rate boxes through USPS is the way to go; especially if it's something smaller (but a lot of)- clothing, bedding, small toys. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would create a registry simply to use the 10% off at some point. Then if people ask then you can mention it but leave it up to them.

I am not having a baby shower this time around but I may just create one at the end of this pregnancy to buy some last minute things and get a small discount. 10% isn't much but it is something!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Amazon might be a great registry tool for you. You can actually register on Amazon (so it doesn't matter if you have the same physical stores) or create a "universal registry" basically pinning things from multiple places onto one online registry. This is what my H and I did because our families live all over the place, without the same stores, and are shipping to us anyway. We put a note at the top to let everyone know that many stores do price match in case they'd prefer shopping in stores.
  • Options
    Do a few different registries (one at a store on the mainland, maybe one at one of the less expensive stores in Hawaii, and one online like Amazon or baby list). I have a few and am constantly deleting stuff from them as we buy of something is bought for us.
  • Options
    I would register even if just for the completion coupons. If your family isn't super computer savvy, when you register at places like buy buy baby and target even online, your family can go to the store and print it out.

I would not post a poll on facebook. Just register where you want and tell people when they ask.

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mamajack86mamajack86 member
    edited December 2014
    Shipping to Hawaii is very expensive hence why I'd understand your concern for those buying physical gifts to send. I use to work for UPS a while back and so many people did not realize how expensive it was to send items. I would probably have whoever is creating the shower announcement word it politely to those who cannot attend but wish to send gifts something along the lines of "due to the high cost of shipping, I'd advise sending a gift card" (obviously can be worded better).

#1 BFP 11/6/12 EDD 07/19/13 Delivered 07/23/13 - Baby boy Everett John

#2 BFP 07/06/14 EDD 03/12/15

• Options

Shipping to Hawaii is very expensive hence why I'd understand your concern for those buying physical gifts to send. I use to work for UPS a while back and so many people did not realize how expensive it was to send items. I would probably have whoever is creating the shower announcement word it politely to those who cannot attend but wish to send gifts something along the lines of "due to the high cost of shipping, I'd advise sending a gift card" (obviously can be worded better).

Please don't do this. People will either ask the host about shipping questions or send money/gift cards if that's what they want to do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

We didn't go to a physical store and register. I just found everything I liked on Amazon and Babies R Us, and I may eventually go to BRU to add things, but I may not.

Yes, register. Even if it's for you to organize everything you may need... and for the coupons :)

Only tell people where you are registered when they ask. Don't do a FB poll or post where you are registered on FB. People will find it if they want too.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have done registries for all of our babies even when it was just for my husband and I. It's a great way to have a list of what you need and it keeps track of what you have already bought. No one ever saw if since we didn't have showers but we could always print one up when we went to the store and it was much better than trying to rely on our memory of what we needed. Plus all the coupons you can get after!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"