Potty Training
Options

Refusing to sit on potty til he has an accident

We started PTing LO (2y2m) last week. He did great the first 4 days or so...maybe 1-2 accidents a day, but would sit on the potty for a "special treat". However, the last few days, he has REFUSED to sit on the potty maybe 90% of the times when we ask him (which I try to only do if he hasn't gone in an hour or so). The treats we were using are not working any more. And he is having more accidents--not like FULL pee accidents, but he will start to go in his undies, sometimes say something, sometimes not, and then pee more when we put him on the potty (which he is willing to sit on after he has an accident). He understands where pee and poop go.
So now I feel like my options are:
1) Stop using treats at all and just kind of go with it--don't make him sit on the potty and wait for him to tell me (I was okay with this when he was having very few accidents). In this case, what do I do when we go out? Diapers or undies?
2) find a really special toy that he can only have when he sits on the potty (any suggestions??). My fear is that this will stop working, just as our "Special treat" reward stopped working.
3) table PTing until he is older (which I hate to do because I feel like we got a great start).

What do you all think? What would you do?

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
BFP 9/27/14
MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14

Re: Refusing to sit on potty til he has an accident

• Options
    I would not do a treat for sitting on the potty. If he doesn't want to sit on and use the potty then he probably isn't ready.

I would try having him use the potty a little less. It's unlikely he needs to pee every hour. We are working on this with DS right now as well. He is 27 mos and has been in underwear since Friday. We take him to the potty st natural times (bedtime, nap time, wake ups, before we leave). And then other than that we try to watch for signs of needing to use the potty.

I would give him a bit more space and see what he does. If he stops himself and then goes potty I think that's great. However, if he starts having more accidents he might just not be ready and that's ok. We had a few false starts with DD and while it's frustrating it's better than forcing it. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I guess we will stick to underwear at home when he requests and try to just let him let us know when he has to go, and do diapers when we go out to avoid messy accidents. I know he is doing really well--I guess we just know a lot of kids who PT early (like 24-26 months) so I feel like he's behind, even though I KNOW he's not at all. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"