May 2015 Moms

marijuana and pregnancy ?

Re: marijuana and pregnancy ?

• OP--just don't chance it.

As pp's have already mentioned, there are not enough studies to prove smoking weed while pregnant cause birth defects, learning disabilities, or other problems. Certainly many people have shared anecdotal evidence, but correlation is not causation.

Just don't do it. Like many lifestyle changes you make while pregnant, this should be an important one too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • khaleesi123khaleesi123 member
    edited December 2014
    @HilarityEnsued‌ I thought I was but by the responses I got to my comment guess I was wrong :-/ all well learn something everyday here
  • I take back my comment about baby can get addicted as I was misinformed.. But OP just don't take that kind of risk with your baby wait till it is born (and after you have stopped breast feeding) you just don't want to take that kind of risk.
  • I'm suddenly grateful for this thread, because I have not had a urine sample collected since my first appointment, and now I'm wondering why that is. I'm also going to a MW (a very popular one, at that). This is my first pregnancy, so obviously I don't know what's 'the norm'. I will ask at my next appointment for sure. Thanks for sharing your experience @Poppy715.

• First off...seriously???  :-? .....that's all I've got. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you don't have to PIAC at each appointment, you can buy urine test sticks yourself. There is a color chart on the bottle. That way you can monitor your glucose or keytone levels yourself.
  • My cousin's GF smoked and ended up going into early labor at 30 weeks. Luckily the baby was healthy but did have some withdrawal symptoms and stayed in the NICU for a while.

My other cousin almost lost her baby to CPS because when she went into labor the doctor notice that her and her BF were high. They had to take classes in order to keep the baby.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Don't let all these people make you feel bad. I know many women that have consumed marijuana during their pregnancy with doctors knowledge. It helps many with weight loss and nasuea. It can cause premature birth and defects the same as cigarette smoking. So forget the negative and take in some positivity.
  • mcmury said:
    Don't let all these people make you feel bad. I know many women that have consumed marijuana during their pregnancy with doctors knowledge. It helps many with weight loss and nasuea. It can cause premature birth and defects the same as cigarette smoking. So forget the negative and take in some positivity.
    So... it's also OK to smoke cigarettes? I'd be careful about the medical advice you dispense. Someone might take it seriously!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Your annoying quit asking stupid common sense questions. (Sorry mood swing)
  • robotpcr said:

mcmury said:

Don't let all these people make you feel bad. I know many women that have consumed marijuana during their pregnancy with doctors knowledge. It helps many with weight loss and nasuea. It can cause premature birth and defects the same as cigarette smoking. So forget the negative and take in some positivity.

This might be one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time and that says something.

Agreed, @robotpcr‌
    Favorite fall activity: roasting pumpkin seeds!

• FFS, if they are testing for drugs, apparently they are doing so with good reason. If my OB is testing my urine for more than the regular pregnancy panel, because she is worried about my unborn child, then good on her.

Don't do drugs kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Next post "can I shoot up while pregnant? Will crack hurt my baby" seriously though wtf op??? I never usually comment but couldn't help myself on this one. There is fuck all independant studies on recreational drugs of all types, the main research for recreational drugs is called erowids. The rest is government funded and there is limited results esp for pregnancy. This is because no one in their right mind is going to sign up as a test subject while pregnant. I wouldn't that's for sure.
  • Excuse the Hell out of me for trying to reduce the stress all you negative have cause this poor woman who was just simply curious. I didn't say it was ok, I answered her question unlike the rest of you. I wasn't giving advice, chastising, or condoning it. So why don't you all get your facts strait, and grow the hell up. Thank
  • No, I was blowing facts up her ass. I said it caused defects. Lmao, this is the most ridiculous discussion I have ever read. What makes any of you better than anyone. I don't do drugs or smoke weed, but I believe in equality and respect. Maybe I should change my perspective to make all of you Debbie downers happy, nah. I don't think I will. Hahaha
  • It hurt my feelings to read how rude everyone was being. There is a respectful way to tell someone it's not good and causes defects, and then there is the completely disrespectful way. You all make yourselves look worse than she did by posting it.
  • Unintentional weight loss, dear. It increases your appetite. There are many woman that have trouble gaining weight during pregnancy. My neighbor lost nearly 50 lbs due to nasuea.
  • But it's more common in overweight women
  • mcmury said:
    Unintentional weight loss, dear. It increases your appetite. There are many woman that have trouble gaining weight during pregnancy. My neighbor lost nearly 50 lbs due to nasuea.
    What? Unintentional weight loss from an increased appetite? Gosh are you sure you don't use drugs?

-----
    DS1:15 
    DS2: 8
    DS3: 2
    Due May 2015 with twin GIRLS!

• DawnLillyDawnLilly member
    edited December 2014
    Devil's Advocate:

@mcmury‌ said "I know many women that have consumed marijuana during their pregnancy with doctors knowledge. It helps many with weight loss and nasuea."

What she meant was, "I know many women that have consumed marijuana during their pregnancy with doctors knowledge. It helps with nausea symptoms and appetite so that moms don't experience too much weight loss."

BTW it's still stupid to WK OP and we aren't talking in person so instead of thinking information is inferred, you need to write your thought out completely.
  • Why is it that my comments are the only references here. Marijuana CAUSES INCREASED APPETITE. Geez, I told her it caused defects, but since I said in a mature, adult fashion I am being completely targeted. Okay... makes as much since as half of everyone else's comments. I am really done with the irrational. See it how you want, facts are she isn't asking if heroin is okay during pregnancy. Marijuana is legal in many states medically. I just tried to give this person a truthful, yet respectful answer.

• I have way too much to say here. My vision is that OP was smoking one day, posted a bunch of posts, and then thought to herself, should I be high right now?

So the vast majority of folks, including myself, are saying not to smoke weed while pregnant!!!

And mcmury... Your posts don't make sense. It helps to make sense when you want to make a statement.
  • mcmury said:

Unintentional weight loss, dear. It increases your appetite. There are many woman that have trouble gaining weight during pregnancy. My neighbor lost nearly 50 lbs due to nasuea.

50 lbs? Ok.

I could be smoking pot right now. I am on drugs they give to cancer patients because of a condition I have with my pregnancy. I have lost hair, incredible amount of weight, 32 lbs to date, and cannot keep down a glass of water most days. I have been on IV so much my veins are collapsing and fucking up.... So I know all nausea, and I have had women in my HG support group who have turned to it and found it helpful..... But these are the most severe cases, and not your average nausea/morning sickness that most women have. I'm sure pot would help me a ton and be great, and if my OB suggests it I may consider it but she won't because it's NOT legal, they can't prescribe it in my state for anything.....and there hasn't been enough satisfying research yet. Not that I feel any better about my other medicines but that's another story. I have to work within my means and if I can go for a year pot free than anyone should be able to!
  • mcmury said:

WTF! What's positive about smoking weed while pregnant?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Me (34) PCOS

DH (36) Poor morphology and motility

TTC since 2011

2013 cycles 1, 2, and 3 on Clomid, all BFN

2013 cycles 4, and 5 IUI with Clomid, both BFN

DH and I took a break for several months

7/15/2014 started Acupuncture 

7/26/2014 start Follistim for IVF cycle, ER on 8/8, develop OHSS, ET almost cancelled

8/13/2014 ET proceeds on our wedding anniversary, transfer 2 5DB, 8/23 BFP

EDD 5/1/2015

• mbbach said:

I'm I the only one that gets drug tested EVERY APPOINTMENT?!?

I have crappy free insurance thanks for Obamacare and they make me pee in a cup and do a whole plethora of tests on my urine, and I'm 100% positive one of those tests is a UDS (urine drug screen). Every appointment. In fact the MW mentioned in passing that I passed my drug screen at my first appt. I was all "woohoo! Oh wait, I don't do drugs"
    -----
    So much craziness in one post. No am so confused. So, you think your doctor's office drug tests you because of Obamacare? Would your alternative to this subsidized insurance be no insurance?
    Yes. I had regular insurance (not paid for by the state) last time around and didn't have my urine taken at every appt unless I had a symptom they needed to check. It could be a state to state thing, who knows. I do know that until I was on govt sponsored insurance, I didn't have my urine taken each appt.

Eta- when signing up for my govt sponsored insurance, they gave me a bunch of paperwork and it stated that by having that insurance i consented to drug screens during pregnancy.
    I have insurance we pay for and have had to pee in a cup every appointment for every pregnancy. This is with 2 different doctors in two different states. And by the amount of ladies that questioned peeing in a cup when they get bigger I am going to assume they also pee in a cup every appointment.
    Well I'm not sure what to tell you. Last time when I had regular insurance I was not drug tested. This time, with govt sponsored insurance, I have already been informed that I have been drug tested. I assumed it was due to the difference in insurances, but that's an assumption.

I'm to lazy to read every thing to see if this was explained to you. You should have to pee in a cup every visit to check for the things mentioned earlier. Everyone is drug tested in the beginning of EVERY pregnancy. It's part of the initial testing that's done.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Did you seriously just ask this? It's pathetic how stupid some people are... SMH!
  • It may be too late now but in the future use protection until you've grown up enough to lay off the drugs for 9 months
  • Trying to keep it safe??? Are you effin kidding me right now??? You must be stoned to think a question like that on a board full of pregnant women, some with multiple losses is even a vaugly reasonable thing to ask.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"