July 2012 Moms
Options

Fever not coming down

Kid has croup and is running a temp of 104.3F. The problem is I give her a dose of Tylenol and an hour later, her temperature is the same. And I have to wait for at least 4 hours between doses. I've been using cold compresses to bring it to around 102. But does anyone have any experience with fever reducing meds not actually bringing a fever down? And what have you done? We've made two calls to the nurse help line, and they're telling us to keep doing what we're doing and it can be dealt with at home.

Re: Fever not coming down

• Options
    Thank you @Camskate, just looked this up and you're on to something! Will have to do a midnight pharmacy run.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks a bunch everyone. It's the sickest she's been, she's just burning up. She's such an active kid it's so strange to see her limp next to me half naked because I have to keep sponging her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The fever did break overnight, phew. She's in much better spirits, chattering away now... sounds slightly delirious, but hopefully it's just toddler stuff. Something about having painted christmas ornaments with a toothbrush and squeezing a cow's bottom for milk - a flashback from a recent farm visit I think.

That was scary for a while. Something I learnt from some quick research last night was that acetaminophen (tylenol) takes 2 hours to reach peak effect, so it may not have been surprising seeing no results after an hour. But we'll be switching to Advil the next time this happens to see if it works better.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"