December 2014 Moms
Options

Umbilical cord stump

LO had her 2nd pediatrician appt yesterday. She is officially 2 weeks old today and the doctor was a little confused as to why her umbilical cord stump was still attached pretty well. She has a deeper belly button like her dad and I so I guess it's taking longer to fall off. She told us to push out the stump and use alcohol swabs to dry it out. It's so hard to get the stump out to actually DO that though. Has anyone else ever had this issue? Anyone have experience or advice with this? Any tips on trying to make it fall off? Google wasn't much help. I know not to pull on it or anything like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

DH and I: Dating: 08/2008, Engaged: 02/2012, and Married: 03/13!
Adopted our Pup: 08/2011

DD born on 12/03/2014, Emma!
(TTC #1 (and only!): 12/25/13, BFP: 03/31/14, EDD: 12/05/14, Gender, girl: 07/16/14)

imageimage

Re: Umbilical cord stump

• Options
    Dd had her stump for 3 weeks. I had been using peroxide or alcohol (can't remember which) to "dry it out" but it didn't help. My midwife told me to leave it alone because basically it was too clean and it needs to "rot off". Gross but that's how she explained it. It eventually fell off and she's no worse for wear for having had it so long.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    RayRay007 said:

Dd had her stump for 3 weeks. I had been using peroxide or alcohol (can't remember which) to "dry it out" but it didn't help. My midwife told me to leave it alone because basically it was too clean and it needs to "rot off". Gross but that's how she explained it. It eventually fell off and she's no worse for wear for having had it so long.

LO's is pretty deep in there lol. Hopefully it falls off. The pediatrician was all this needs to already be falling off so you should be doing alcohol swabs to dry it out and get it to come out. I had no idea there was a time frame for the stump to fall out!

(TTC #1 (and only!): 12/25/13, BFP: 03/31/14, EDD: 12/05/14, Gender, girl: 07/16/14)

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO's fell off monday (5 days). Is there a medical/health risk if the cord stay on too long?

Test
  • Options

LO's fell off monday (5 days). Is there a medical/health risk if the cord stay on too long?

I don't actually know. The doctor didn't make it seem like there was or say anything like that. When I did Google there were people who had infants that did not lose their umbilical cord until 6 weeks. So I think it's more that it just needs to come off sooner than later maybe?

imageimage

• Options
    With DD1 it took 3 weeks to fall off. DD2 still has hers (2 weeks 2 days). The Dr said she predicted it would take at least 3 weeks with this one because it took that long with my first, plus her stump is short and thick. I was using alcohol to clean it but had to stop because it started to ooze a little bit which the Dr said it was not infected but by cleaning it I wasn't allowing it to dry and scab up. That's all it is, a scab, that needs to heal itself and fall off. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Options
    DS still has his. He turned 2 weeks yesterday and my pediatricisn told me the same thing. I hate messing with it though :/
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    chicorojo said:

DS still has his. He turned 2 weeks yesterday and my pediatricisn told me the same thing. I hate messing with it though :/

Me too! And it's deep in there so it's not easy trying to get to the bottom of it. Aye! This is not easy. Who wants to come over and help a sister out?? Haha.

imageimage

• Options
    My girls are two weeks today. One has hers and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere. We were at the pediatricians yesterday and they didn't say anything about it. The other's got knocked about while she was in the PICU last week and I accidentally knocked it the rest of the way off the day after we brought her home. :p I felt horrible because she cried and it bled a little.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our ped said to only swab it a couple times a day, but the midwife said to leave it. I swab it when I think of it but have been slacking.
  • Options
    I was also told to just leave it.

• Options
    I was just wondering about this yesterday because DD will be 2 weeks tomorrow and hers doesn't look like its anywhere near falling off. They told us at the hospital that after about a week of cleaning it with alcohol once a day that it would turn yellowish at the bottom and start to separate. It's really deep in there too so I was wondering if I'm just not swabbing it far down enough...
  • Options

I was just wondering about this yesterday because DD will be 2 weeks tomorrow and hers doesn't look like its anywhere near falling off. They told us at the hospital that after about a week of cleaning it with alcohol once a day that it would turn yellowish at the bottom and start to separate. It's really deep in there too so I was wondering if I'm just not swabbing it far down enough...

I feel like my daughter will have it forever! Lol. I have used alcohol on it three times today to hopefully dry it up (per my pediatrician). But now I'm confused as to whether it'll work or not. Aye!

imageimage

• Options
    We had our 2 week appt yesterday and pediatrician said it was nowhere near falling off and not to worry about it. She also said not to do anything about it.

I am impatient b/c DH says the snuza won't work well until it's off, but 3 weeks is evidently within normal range.

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
    2 Corinthians 12:9

• Options
    DS is 12 days old and his is hanging on by I thread! It should come off tomorrow.
  • Options
    ds#1 and #2 each took about 4 weeks to lose their stumps.  They both needed to have the silver nitrate put on their belly buttons after it fell off because it still had part of the cord attached.  ds#2's belly button looked strange for a while, but looks normal now.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    2JEL said:

We had our 2 week appt yesterday and pediatrician said it was nowhere near falling off and not to worry about it. She also said not to do anything about it.

I am impatient b/c DH says the snuza won't work well until it's off, but 3 weeks is evidently within normal range.

It seems that each there are so many different things to do or not do per the pediatricians! What's a snuza?? Lol.

imageimage

• Options
    kaylam714 said:

Sooooo....DS is 4 weeks old today and he still has his nub. I talked to the nurse at the ped office last week and this morning. She doesn't seem to be concerned about it because it doesn't have a foul odor or any puss coming out of it, and said that he must have just been really attached to me and had a great life line.

I don't know how much of it I believe, but we've been cleaning it with alcohol per the ped and it's STILL there. :/ I don't know what else to do!

My LO is 2 weeks and 1 day and hers is still in there. And it's deep, I have to push down her stomach and try to pull it out a little to use the alcohol to dry it out! I will probably be in the same boat as you in 2 weeks.

imageimage

• Options
    Cadg0986 said:

2JEL said:

It seems that each there are so many different things to do or not do per the pediatricians! What's a snuza?? Lol.
    Yeah, there's so much conflicting advice! A snuza is a little device (it looks like a shrunken down version of the guns you use to scan things for a wedding registry) you clip on baby's diaper and it monitors their breathing an alarm sounds if it pauses/stops. It's probably unnecessary for healthy babies with no risk factor, but it will cut down on the time I spend hovering over the crib trying to decide if LO is too still.

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 

• Options
    Ours started to really stink at day 6. Because we were having weight issues, we asked the pedi about the stench (stink enough to be considered a stench)... She said we needed to clean it with alcohol. Anyway, it ended up falling off at day 7, and we bathed her the next day. I think your pedi was probably just surprised that it's still there, KWIM? If there was something to be concerned about, she would say it right away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    2JEL said:

Cadg0986 said:

2JEL said:

Yeah, there's so much conflicting advice! A snuza is a little device (it looks like a shrunken down version of the guns you use to scan things for a wedding registry) you clip on baby's diaper and it monitors their breathing an alarm sounds if it pauses/stops. It's probably unnecessary for healthy babies with no risk factor, but it will cut down on the time I spend hovering over the crib trying to decide if LO is too still.
    I want one!! We purchased the $229.99 angel care movement, sound, and video monitor but the movement monitor pad isn't working right. It goes off all the time. We don't know if it's because she's in a bassinet or if it's defective. Either way, we haven't been using it and I haven't had time to call the company. Now I need to find myself a snuza!!

imageimage

• Options
    @Cadg0986‌ we got the angelcare as a shower gift. I haven't even touched it yet, but apparently there's different settings from super sensitive to not very sensitive.
    *********************************************BIG SIG************************************************
    FTM PgAL  IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We got the angelcare and I returned it for the Snuza that came with a video monitor. They were around the same cost :)
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options

@Cadg0986‌ we got the angelcare as a shower gift. I haven't even touched it yet, but apparently there's different settings from super sensitive to not very sensitive.

We've done everything we can think of to get it to work right. Used the troubleshooting guides and everything. I need to call the company because it should work with a bassinet.

imageimage

• Options
    Cadg0986 said:

We've done everything we can think of to get it to work right. Used the troubleshooting guides and everything. I need to call the company because it should work with a bassinet.
    Hmmm..well let me know what you find out! I'd like to be able to use it with a bassinet.
    *********************************************BIG SIG************************************************
    FTM PgAL  IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    For those who are interested, the snuza is available at Amazon-- the reviews will make you want to buy it-- but we have no personal experience b/c of the umbilical stump!

• Options
    My first two had no issues and cords fell off within two weeks. But with my third DS we had some gooey liquid coming out from umbilical cord area in third week and we were told to air dry the area. Eventually it helped and cord fell off, but I later found out about Assessable bodysuit that could have help us prevent the whole issue altogether. Because it lets you air dry baby's cord without undressing. I wish I knew about it before...image
  • Options
    My first two had no issues and cords fell off within two weeks. But with my third DS we had some gooey liquid coming out from umbilical cord area in third week and we were told to air dry the area. Eventually it helped and cord fell off, but I later found out about Assessable bodysuit that could have help us prevent the whole issue altogether. Because it lets you air dry baby's cord without undressing. I wish I knew about it before...image
    in each of your posts on TB it appears you are trying to sell something, and you don't seem to have a specific BMB you belong to. I am considering flagging you for TOU.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    When we saw the pedi at 2 weeks she said to push down around it to loosen it and then move the stump up and down. It fell off around 3 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"