February 2014 Moms

If you are a nanny or have a nanny come in!

So, I've reached my limit for illnesses with LO. I huat hate seeing him so sick! He's a wheezy kid so every cold turns into a major issue for his breathing. We are currently using a nebulizer 4x a day. We'll go to twice a day soon and have to do it through March. I feel like if we could keep him away from all the daycare kids he wouldn't be so sick and have to have all these breathing issues.

I'm considering a nanny but wonder the best way. I know of a service that's likely pricey but great. Or should I use care.com or similar.

We currently pay $1k a month for daycare for LO and $300 a month for before and after school care for dd. What do you think it would be to have someone 7-4 M-F. Ideally they would do drop off and p/u for dd.

I'm kind of just thinking out loud here. Any thoughts or suggestions? I've used all my sick time and am home today probably not being paid. This sucks!!
I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!

Re: If you are a nanny or have a nanny come in!

• kella0708kella0708 member
    edited December 2014
    I think price really depends on where you live. We pay around $2k/month for a nanny in Brooklyn. We found her through word of mouth.

I haven't heard great things about care.com - but again, I think it will depend on where you live. The biggest complaint friends have had is that the majority of interviews were with 20-something's who have no real interest in child care, but are looking for some cash until a job in their actual field comes along.

I would start asking around - in my experience my friends and family have found great sitters and nannies through personal recommendations.

ETA - Is there a local mommy/parenting board on Facebook? I also know tons of people who have found someone through recommendations that way.
  • @kella0708‌ Thanks for the response and insight. Can I ask if you provide benefits to your nanny?

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would encourage looking into a nanny if I was you. We currently pay 1100 a month and our 2 kids go to our neighbors. She watched our 2 boys and her 4 yr old. It is wonderful! Knock on wood, we have not been sick once, and they both get one on one time and direction. I love it and would not change it for anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @kella0708‌ Thanks for the response and insight. Can I ask if you provide benefits to your nanny?

No benefits, just a paycheck every week.
  • My nanny was word of mouth but I would use care.com or sittercity. com if need be.

Also, realize, regardless of nanny or not, kids will get exposed to stuff. My nanny has two kids of her own and she gets sick on and off, mostly because of her kids. Sometimes she will catch it and stay home, sometimes not, one cannot know. Also, he barely hangs out with other kids but still caught Roseola last week. Perhaps from the park? who knows!

So if sick kid is your radar perhaps best to discuss this with your dr. becuase depending on the nanny and kind of activities your nanny will make LO do, you will still be exposed to certain germs. Perhaps not as frequent but it will happen. For me, it helps build immunity, but I am not medical expert and I totally get with not being able to seeing LO sick anymore.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

• In my area when I was full time I made $14 an hour. I would take kids wherever they needed to go, with car provided. Make meals, clean up after the kids and do the kids laundry. But I think if you don't expect much from a nanny besides watching your kids you could negotiate a price. I now work part time as a nanny, making 12 an hour but don't really have any household duties besides cleaning up toys the kids get out (with that being said my kids with me so he makes the mess too).
  • Thanks everyone! I've asked around locally and 10-14 seems to be the range if not using an agency. It's much higher with an agency but they provide back up if nanny needs to be out.

And the points about kids getting sick no matter what are good ones. It's just hard seeing LO so sick. And I hate having to give him breathing treatments.

I'm just trying to figure out the best thing to do. I'm a rational step by step person so all this info was a huge help!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"