Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Weird symptoms post miscarriage

reauxmariereauxmarie member
edited December 2014 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Hi everyone. I suffered a miscarriage in early November (my second one) and since then I have really been suffering with some physical symptoms.
Bleeding lasted about a week (I was about 5-6 wks along) and then about a week after the bleeding stopped, I suddenly had overwhelming adrenaline rush with nausea and vomiting. I ran to the ER twice on two consecutive days because it wouldn't go away, they ran every test imaginable, EKGs, chest x-ray, labs, everything kept coming back fine.
This lasted a couple weeks, then started to subside. A little over a week ago, I started spotting on Saturday, and thought I was getting my next period. The bleeding stopped halfway through the day and then the symptoms of adrenaline came back. Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night shaking from the adrenaline.
My doctors are stumped. Some of my doctors say its just anxiety due to the miscarriage (all the symptoms are physical first, the anxiety came later because of not knowing what is going on) they keep testing hormones, WBC and other labs and everything looks normal. My progesterone was a little low, which was what I suspected was causing my miscarriages (I have PCOS) but nothing that far out of whack that would explain all this. My heart feels like its racing out of my chest, but my actual heart rate is never that high (usually right around 100 or a little higher). I was nauseous all the time and with the exception of the last few days have barely been able to eat in a week.
I had an ultrasound and there was no retained tissue. My HCG came back down in a timely manner and I just finished my first period after my miscarriage. I am about 5 weeks out from the miscarriage now, and I am desperate to feel better. I am not sure what else to do at this point. Right now they have me on some medication to manage the symptoms until we figure it out, but its mostly just taking the edge off. I still have a constant adrenaline feeling that gets a little better or a little worse seemingly without reason, in addition to waking me up at night.
Has anyone else experienced this before? My doctor put me on progesterone-only birth control pills (just started yesterday) to see if that will help. Im also on propranolol for the heart racing, promethazine for the nausea and xanax for bedtime (and the occasional half pill if things are really bad).
I know that anxiety is playing some part in this now because its been going on so long and not knowing what is wrong, however I know the underlying issue is physical somehow. I have to assume it is hormonal and related to the miscarriage, but nothing seems to show out of the ordinary in tests.
If anyone out there has had any similar experience, I would love to hear from you what happened.

Re: Weird symptoms post miscarriage

• Options
    Hi, I can't say I've been through that or know how to help you really. It does sound to me like you're having anxiety or panic attacks, which can feel like just physical symptoms. Some people who have panic attacks think they're having a heart attack because it's so physical. But, it also could be something else... i'm sorry, i'm not sure.

I did want to say that before and after my d&c I would get the feeling that my heart was racing like I just ran a marathon. My husband is a doctor and I'd get him to check it for me and each time he said my heart was beating at a steady regular rhythm but it just was beating a tiny bit harder because of the pregnancy. It went away about a week after the operation. 

If you feel really unsettled about this maybe find some doctors who will work with you to figure it out.  Again, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this after a loss. Thoughts and prayers!
  • Options
    Also, i'd suggest some at-home yoga! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How frustrating and scary, I am sorry you're going through this. *hug*

This has never happened to me but I do have a couple of friends that suffer from panic attacks (like CMDD said) and that is exactly how they describe what happens. 

How are you feeling emotionally otherwise? 

If I were you, and Dr's haven't found anything physically wrong, I would go talk to a therapist. I am not sure if you're opposed to that but if you are, it's not a negative thing. So many women have found help with therapists. 

It's worth a try. I wish you luck and please keep us posted. 
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words. Emotionally and physically I feel....raw. I am not so much upset about the miscarriage at this point as I am scared and frustrated about the physical symptoms. I am grateful for all the good news on my labs, but at the same time, I am exhausted and drained from these symptoms.
    I am looking into a therapist, I just have been thinking that it was mostly a physical issue because the symptoms are constant, but I definitely think therapy is needed at this point if for nothing else to help me cope wiht the physical symptoms!
  • Options
    Thank you for the response! I am assuming its panic attacks now since they can't find anything physically wrong yet, but I always thought panic attacks were episodic and these seem constant.
    I have tried going for walks, i have not tried yoga yet, mostly because the nausea is still present.
  • Options
    UPDATE:
    After weeks of research on the internet, I think I finally found a name for the demon I am undertaking: Postpartum Panic Disorder. Its a postpartum mood disorder, much like postpartum depression, but less well-known. Cause isn't known but its believed to be hormone/neurotransmitter related.
    I am calling a therapist tomorrow to see about counseling and treatment, but I wanted to update here for the ladies who responded (thank you again!) And in case anyone else out there is going through the same things as I was. Hopefully they will find this post and before they suffered as long as I have!
    It feels like SUCH a relief to have a name for this monster, and to know that I AM going to be ok. Now the anxiety of not knowing what is wrong can subside, which will only help me cope with the underlying issue faster! :) Much love ladies!!
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear this. I had been following but had no idea how to help. GL talking to the therapist tomorrow ((Hugs))

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC since July 2014
    BFP#1 11/1/14, EDD 7/15/15, 
    MM/C (blighted ovum) 12/2/14 at 8 wks, D&C 12/5/14
    Fur Parents to Mercy, Fluffy and Big Tex
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am so glad you found out what you think is wrong and you will be seeing a therapist. 

Please keep us posted! *hug*
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with a therapist on Monday. In the mean time, propranolol and xanax seem to be managing my symptoms for the most part. I have also found a wonderful support group on Facebook that deals with postpartum panic disorder/postpartum anxiety. Its not as common in women with miscarriages it seems, but its still comforting to know I am not alone. :)
  • Options
    I'm am glad to hear you're speaking with people and have an appointment Monday. Good luck *hug*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"