May 2014 Moms

Breast feeling check in

How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues?
How old is LO ? How long between feedings? What is the longest LO sleeps at night?
Raves, rants and anything else you want to share?

Re: Breast feeling check in

• How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues? Great.
    How old is LO ? How long between feedings? What is the longest LO sleeps at night? 7months, eats every 2-3 hours during the day and every 1-2 hours at night because she has no self soothing skills and needs to suck to fall asleep
    Raves, rants and anything else you want to share? I'm so tired! Also my phone autocorrected breastfeeding to breast feeling, I didn't change it because it's funny!
  • How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues? I BF mornings/nights and weekends and pump during the work day while supplementing with formula when needed. BF is still going well. She went through this spell last week where she would only nurse for two minutes before bed and then want to be put down to sleep. No idea what that was about. She started nursing until I'm empty again. 
    How old is LO ? How long between feedings? What is the longest LO sleeps at night? DD will be 7 months on Friday (12/19). Every 3 hours or so in between nursing sessions or bottles. She gets 2-3 solid meals a day. DD sleeps an 8-9 hour chunk, wakes up to nurse and then back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. 
    Raves, rants and anything else you want to share: We moved the nursery around this weekend and lowered her crib. I think she's pretty confused. 

Starting to think about weaning in the next few months - how does one do that while working? I noticed on another thread someone posted it could take about two weeks to not be engorged. Any STMs or FTMs that have done this with advice?

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues?
    It's going well, keep thinking DD is possibly cutting a tooth but nothing is showing up yet.  

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? What is the longest LO sleeps at night?
    DD will be 30 weeks tomorrow, 7 months on Saturday. She's going 2-2.5 hours during the day and usually 2 motn feedings.  She will sleep a good 5-6 hour stretch at night, eat, then back down for 3 hours, eat then back down for 1-2 hours . 

Since we stopped giving DD bottles she's been nursing to sleep, which is fine and makes bedtime much easier than having to rock and sing to her for 10-30 minutes each night, BUT realized that when I wean her, bedtime is going to be one hot mess! Not looking forward to figuring that out. 
    • DH and I had food poisoning on Friday- I think Dante missed the level of hell that is having food poisoning with a baby at home.  Fortunately LO was not affected, and so far my milk supply has been okay.  I'm struggling to eat enough.
    • LO is 7.5 months old.  During the weekdays he has 3 bottles at DC.  On weekends I nurse him every 2-3 hours.  He's still waking up 3 times a night.  Sometimes I only get 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, or sometimes I get 4 hours.  Just depends on how he times it.  He's slept up to 6 hours at a time, but it's pretty rare.
    • Just the food poisoning.  Ugh.
  • Going fine. Only issue is sore nips. Somebody is growing teeth and has had a lousy latch.

She'll be 8 months on the 23rd.

2-5 hours is generally her range. The long one is at night. One night waking... which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take an hour to get her back down.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues? Going well.  

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? What is the longest LO sleeps at night?  LO will be 7 months on the 23rd.  2.5-3 hours between meals during the day, and usually one waking up 1 time at night.  This past weekend she slept all night on Friday and Saturday.  She's been going to bed around 8:30pm, and wakes up between 2-4am.  

Raves, rants and anything else you want to share?  I'm glad DD is finally starting to not fight her naps.  Most days mommy needs one too.
  • Also my phone autocorrected breastfeeding to breast feeling, I didn't change it because it's funny!

I saw that and thought hmmm..... DH would enjoy this check-in!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • @usernameedit - nooooooo! 

I'm so sorry. 

FWIW, we started supplementing in December. I cried at first because I felt so guilty. However, two  weeks in - its the best. I don't count my ounces and pump for x amount of minutes to get x more ounces. I pump 2x at work for 10-15 minutes at a time. It is what it is - DD is getting some BM and I'm getting my sanity back. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• So sorry about the spill @usernameedit!

How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues?   Per my separate post, I'm afraid my production is declining.   I'm eating my lactation cookies, oatmeal and drinking the god-awful tea and did an extra pump session today to try to nip it in the bud.  Ha.  I said "nip" in the breast feeling check in.  ;)

I've lost track of weeks.   He's 6 1/2 months.   He's been going 4 hours during the day and 3.5 - 5 at night. 

Raves, rants and anything else you want to share?   We've been working to break the nurse to sleep association, which means LO isn't on the breast as often during the day.  I miss it!   I've been trying to do lots of extra cuddle time, but little man is working on crawling and has no time for it.   He's got scooting to do!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • @becole42 & @jcrewgirl85 - thanks ladies.  I'm still fighting back tears.

How are you supplementing with formula?

Do you mix the formula first and then add it to the breastmilk or just have it separate?

Should I prepare the bottles myself or give MIL instructions on how much to add?

I've heard Similac is great so I might try that.  I still have a bit of freezer stash left so I'm hoping that will give me to the end of the year.  I also started drinking mothers milk tea which has helped a bit.

My new years resolution is to just relax and let it be what it is... I'm sure my husband will be happy to get his joyful wife back too.
    I give DD 5 oz bottles - if I only have 12 oz - I make two bottles of BM and then one bottle of formula and one bottle that is mixed. I make them the night before - formula is good 24 hours from time you make if (if refrigerated). 

My pedi suggested Earth's Best - I bought the Sensitive version of it. DD has downed every bottle - formula or mixed. No issues whatsoever. 

Agree with what @becole42 said - you're a rock star! I was so proud of myself for making it 6.5 months EBF and I'm going on 7 months of BF.

DD Born @ 40+4

• @usernameedit‌ , oh no, I would be in tears, too. I've had really low supply all along so any bit spilled or wasted made me an emotional wreck for the first couple months.

Our first pedi suggested mixing BM and formula for supplementing, but I think this was mainly a suggestion for taste for baby. Our current pedi (we moved -- we really like both pedis) recommended doing separate bottles, so you can give BM first, and if there's any waste, it will be formula and not your hard-earned liquid gold.

No issues now -- thankfully I seem to be over the mastitis/blocked ducts/milk blisters that were recurring for so many weeks.

DD is six and a half months. Still every 3-4 hours, with one 5 hour stretch if I'm lucky.

I am glad I persisted and am still able to give LO a little BM. I love how she's starting to be able to communicate when she wants milk, and how happy she is. So sweet!

But the biting! Still no teeth here yet, but her new trick is she likes to bite down and then tug like a puppy. Fun!

• I stopped nursing. After my vent last week, I tried a couple of times to nurse "one last time". DS bit, hard, every single time I tried to latch him on. My anxiety over it was awful so I just decided to stop trying. I'm very sad that I won't get to appreciate one more time, but I am thankful for the BFing journey we had. Snuggling with a bottle in the morning isn't so bad either :-)

Now that I'm done nursing, I'm just over pumping too. I'm going to wean from pumping as fast as possible while trying to avoid clogged ducts/mastitis. Hoping to be done in a couple of weeks. I still have a bit of a freezer stash so DS will get one BM bottle a day for the next couple of months along with formula and solids.

Thanks for letting me post here! I always felt like I was in the middle - not EBFing, not quite EPing - but I really appreciate the support I've received. Good luck to all of you ladies on your BFing journeys! Enjoy every moment :-)
  • How's breastfeeding going this week? Any issues? I BF mornings/nights and weekends and pump during the work day while supplementing with formula when needed. BF is still going well. She went through this spell last week where she would only nurse for two minutes before bed and then want to be put down to sleep. No idea what that was about. She started nursing until I'm empty again. 
    How old is LO ? How long between feedings? What is the longest LO sleeps at night? DD will be 7 months on Friday (12/19). Every 3 hours or so in between nursing sessions or bottles. She gets 2-3 solid meals a day. DD sleeps an 8-9 hour chunk, wakes up to nurse and then back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. 
    Raves, rants and anything else you want to share: We moved the nursery around this weekend and lowered her crib. I think she's pretty confused. 

Starting to think about weaning in the next few months - how does one do that while working? I noticed on another thread someone posted it could take about two weeks to not be engorged. Any STMs or FTMs that have done this with advice?
    I BF DD and pumped at work.  To wean from the pump at work I just dropped one pump a week so it was very gradual.  So, I pumped 3x a day normally.  One week I did 2x a day for the whole week, the next week I did 1x a day, then I stopped pumping at work (I wore the thick disposable nursing pads the first couple days after I dropped a pump because I knew I'd be a little more engorged than normal).  I bf DD in the morning and at night for a while after that, but I dried up pretty quickly after I stopped pumping (I didn't pump on the weekends after that fwiw).  It worked well and I plan to do that again if I make it that far.    
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How's breastfeeding going this week? 
    Going well.  I haven't been pumping a lot (away for the holidays with LO, home with LO who's sick, etc.), so I feel like my "pumping supply" (a little more for an emergency bottle at daycare and a little more for good luck) is dropping, but LO seems satisfied, so I'm trying not to freak out.  

Any issues?
    I just have a sick baby.  Not flu, thank goodness, but a 101/102 temp and boogers everywhere.  At least he's snuggly.  But no bf'ing issues except the possible supply stuff mentioned above.

6.5 months; 3ish hours between feedings; we've moving up - LOs been doing about 9 hours before I have to get up with him (sometimes he talks before then, but I leave him be).  He even did 10 hours one night!  I'm sure this sickness and the coming travel will mess him up though!

We have a couple new employees at work who I'm training so it's always interesting to leave for my pump break while trying not to make an awkward conversation happen.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"