C-sections
Options

All this time I was set on a VBAC....

CamoBride2010CamoBride2010 member
edited December 2014 in C-sections
A quick history. DD was born at 40 weeks and 4 days. I was in labor for 36 hours before I finally needed an urgent c-section. Baby would not drop and after they broke my water they had some trouble with her heart rate. So, now I'm due in May and have been totally set on a VBAC, even though my CS was no big deal ( recovery was fairly easy and minimal pain). I do have to say after my CS I felt really....beat up? Doctor said that was due to the long labor. Well apparently doctors have a magic calculator that gives them your odds for a successful VBAC. My doctor likes you to be in the 60-80% range ( or better), of course I'm only rated in the 50's.  So she said it was basically my call, she would support me either way but to be very aware that if I went ahead with a VBAC there was a real possibility I would need another c-section. All the sudden VBAC is not sounding so great. I have no wish to go thru with another long labor just to need major surgery again. Now with a toddler at home I can't help but think how much more convenient it would be to schedule the surgery ( as far as child care goes). I guess I would like some stories of ladies who tried and failed with a VBAC? and ladies who just chose the RCS? I hear the second time around is easier. I guess I'm just feeling a little guilty for starting to consider switching to a RCS, since I was so set on a VBAC.

Re: All this time I was set on a VBAC....

• Options
    My first was an urgent section following an induction and 18ish hours of labor. I fully dilated but DD would not descend. After (me) spiking a fever and getting my doctor all worried about infection DD started having heart-rate issues and I was taken in for the section.

The c/s (and recovery) was absolutely the worst experience of my life. So, when I got pregnant with DD2 I absolutely wanted a vbac. I found a doctor that would support me. She would let me go to 42 weeks but would not induce unless my cervix was favorable (previous induction, it was not). If no progress by 41 weeks, I would have to schedule the rcs no later than 42.

I spent most of the pregnancy really hoping for that vbac but doing lots of research on rcs as well. I realized that if I did end up with a planned rcs it would likely not be nearly as terrible. At my 40 week appt I had no cervical progress and hadn't been having any contractions. My doctor was ok with waiting another week to see what happened. After taking a day to think (and talk to DH) about it I decided I wanted to schedule the rcs.

I had my rcs 3 days later and it could not have been a better experience. The procedure was so much more laid back. I actually got to be fully present and enjoy DD2's birth. I went in to it well rested and my body healed fabulously. I never experienced anything I would describe as pain. The worst part was discomfort from gas. Totally different experience and I wouldn't change a thing. This time, vba2c is not a thought I would even entertain.

For me rcs was, without a doubt, the best decision. That said, this is 100% your choice that only you can make. I wish you luck with making the decision that is best for you and hope your birth experience is a positive one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was all set for a VBAC right up to about 37 weeks.

My reasons for my first c-section was simply cord prolapse and my firstborn had actually been a fairly easy vaginal experience. I was, as one might say, a prime candidate.

However, DS had measured larger than usual starting early in the pregnancy and we had monitored his growth starting in the 2nd trimester. After the final ultrasound, my doctor and I discussed my options. He expressed concern about DS's abdominal size and the risks that brought about in addition to the VBAC risks, but left the decision in my hands, saying he would willingly wait until 42 weeks for my VBAC if that was what I wanted.

My decision, ultimately, was to schedule a c-section for 39.5 weeks and allow a trial of labor should labor begin before then.

This is not to say I was 100% okay with the idea from that point on. Though I felt this was the best decision for DS, I was upset about the idea of going through surgery again. In fact, I remember one moment of sitting on my kitchen floor crying, because I felt like i had failed at something (all labor symptoms, BH contractions included, had stopped for a week and a half, so I didn't even have false labor to pin my hopes for a VBAC on).

The day of, though, I had become okay with the idea, happy even. The sudden stop of labor symptoms actually helped in this. So that was nice.

DS came out almost 10lbs at birth, to a chorus of "whoa!" (not exaggerating, I heard at least 3 people say it) from all the medical personnel in the OR when they saw how big he was as he came out. Though not abnormally large, he had his daddy's build and was all torso. I remember my doctor leaning over the curtain to say "I think you made the right decision!".

2 years later, I am still fine with my idea. There are moments I feel like I missed out on something. I experienced a vaginal birth and feel like I slept through the whole thing (only a handful of hours of sleep for 4 days due to complications my then-crappy doctor ignored). I barely knew what was happening the first time around and I was looking forward to being more in control with DS's birth. But, those moments are really only twinges and mostly only come when I realize I have no family pictures from my 2 c-section experiences, though that's more DH not thinking to document such events rather than the c-section itself.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a tough decision. I had my third via c-section b/c she was breech. I'm going with RCS. I had a long, painful, scary labor with DD1 and then pushed for 5 hours. She was almost a c-section and was born grayish/not crying and needed oxygen (luckily came right around!). DS was much better, but my water broke at 41 weeks and I still had no contractions w/out pitocin. Pushed for 3 hours; needed vacuum to get him out. B/c I had so much trouble actually getting the babies out, and b/c I needed a lot of pitocin each time, I felt (and my doctor agreed) that I was not really a great VBAC candidate. If I'd had quick, easy labors I would have done VBAC in a second. Also, each baby has been a little bigger than the last. As it is, I think my odds of ending up in the statistically worst situation (labor followed by c-section) are higher than average and my odds of successful VBAC are lower than average. I felt RCS was the most prudent choice in my personal case. Also, my c-section recovery was awesome and easier than my vaginal births. And, I have 3 other kids now, so planning is nice (although I'm starting to wonder if I will make it to my RCS date!). I hope I'm right and all goes smoothly.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think my score on the little calculator thing was 75%. I tried for a vbac and actually ended rupturing, so needless to say, my recovery from my 1st scheduled C section was a breeze compared to recovering from csection following rupture after about 18hrs of labor. If you want to try a vbac go for it, but definitely don't feel guilty if you want to change your mind! It is very personal and complicated decision.
  • Options
    My first was an urgent csec after 36 hours of induction. I only got to 3 cm and they tried breaking my water 12 hours in to kickstart labor. When she wasn't out by 24 hours later they did a csec. She was 11.1 pounds. No GD. That Csec recovery was no fun. I had terrible gas pains and had a very rough time.

Never tried for a VBAC with baby #2. He was 9.8 pounds and I was never in labor with him. The planned Csec was such a different experience. I was up and walking in 4 hours vs the 12-15 hours with my first.

This baby will be a RCS and our last. That is another consideration, how many are you planning on having? The more csecs you have, the more scar tissue as well so they recommend a limited number. I was lucky that i had no scar tissue when they opened me up for my second but they don't really know until they get you open. I feel no guilt or shame with my csecs. An 11 pounder....there is just no coming back from that...
  • Options
    I had my second c-section scheduled for 39 weeks. I liked the idea of having child care all lined up for my 21 month old. Problem was, at 36 weeks I went into labor at 2am so all childcare plans went out the window.  2nd time around was so much better because I didn't have to labor like I did with DD#1.  I had my DD#2 at 7am and was up walking by 7pm which really helped speed up my recovery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If DH has his way this will be our last but I would like one more, but neither of us want more than 3. DD was a normal sized baby ( 7Ibs 12 oz) She just refused to drop and we never made progress beyond 4 cm, then they has issues with her heart rate after they broke my water ( I guess the poor kid was determined to stay put no matter what haha).  A small part of me feels... obligated to maybe try a VBAC? I have always struggled with why a vaginal birth didn't work out the first time.I have no regrets, but I just don't get it. I had no issues, no apparent risk factors, went into labor on my own etc. So I suppose that is part of my inner struggle.

But then my rational side has started saying, why bother with a VBAC? We don't want a ton of kids, my recovery wasn't bad the first time around, ideally we'd be able to plan easier for childcare. I know there are many risk and benefits to both sides. I appricate the stories they help give me some real life perspective.
  • Options
    Both mine were scheduled. First due to breech baby. Second, because I was not interested in a vbac, but when they opened me it turned out this baby was ALSO breech so thank god! Also turns out baby #2 was large AND my uterus was very thin so it could have ruptured, all good reasons for an rcs. So glad I never had any interest in attempting a vbac... Not missing anything.

Both my recoveries were a complete breeze, but the second one was even easier and faster than the first. Maybe because I was already toughened up, had that experience before. Loved both mine and loved being able to plan for help and child care having a toddler at home already.

I think is's 100% true that a planned one vs one following active labor is completely different stuff.
  • Options
    My first was an unplanned but not emergency csection. She was born at 41w2d after a 30hr induction. I never progressed past 4cm despite adequate contractions.

I wanted a VBAC sooo badly. I cried over it and fought for it for 9 months. I finally at 39 wks I scheduled a repeat Csection for 40wk4d with the only Dr who seemed supportive of my VBAC. When that morning came, I cried all the way to the hospital. When they hooked me up, I was contracting every 2 min regularly so the Dr agreed to a gentle induction. She broke my water and I went from 1cm to 6cm in 5hrs. We all thought it was going to happen and everyone was very exciting about me getting past that 4cm mark. Well 8hrs later I was still 6cm and contracting well on my own so they could not use pitocin. I ended up agreeing to a Csection at that point.

I do not regret for one minute attempting a VBAC and I am so thankful my Dr let me attempt. I would love to go into labor on my own for baby #3 just because I have never had spontaneous labor but I am 99.9% this one will be a RCS.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    My first I was induced and labored over 20 hours, pushed for 2 and ended up with a c-section. This past one (just last week) I was all about a VBAC. My water broke on its own and I was able to be mobile during labor and try all kinds of positions, pushing positions etc., but still ended up with another c section (after 2 hrs pushing). I felt it was worth all the hard work to have had the opportunity to try, however once again the recovery is going alright but I am recovering from labor and c-section. If I have another I will schedule RCS as it is apparent I am not able to push baby out.
    It is a decision you must make and be comfortable with though. Good luck deciding!
  • Options
    *I didn't read all of the replies

I would check out your local ICAN FB page and get some opinions there.  They're VERY pro-VBAC (and some can be extreme and be very anti-c/s).  Personally I don't trust the % calculator.  I've had 1 vaginal delivery followed by 2 scheduled c/s.  My 2nd c/s was absolutely horrible (I was 3.5 years older but all of my kiddos were in school or daycare during my recovery time).  I'm now 14w in a 4th pregnancy and I actually switched doctors to a more VBAC friendly doc.  Your ICAN page may give you feedback on if your doc is VBAC "friendly" or VBAC "tolerant".  Do your own research and make a decision based on that.  Your % went down because you haven't had a successful vaginal delivery, but your c/s was due to the baby's heart rate, not necessarily because you're unable to have a successful vaginal delivery.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I wouldn't put much stock in the calculator. My odds for a successful VBAC with DS2 were really high and I still ended up with a RCS.

My first c-section was planned due to DS1 being breech. Recovery was so, SO easy but given that we have always thought we would have three children, I wanted a VBAC so that I could avoid three c-sections.

With DS2, my water broke two days before my due date and my midwives and doctors were incredibly optimistic that I'd be able to have a vaginal birth. After arriving at the hospital we learned he had flipped to breech. So RCS it was!

I do not for one second regret trying for a VBAC and I know that the way it all went down was for the best.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    Mama-Bear said:
    *I didn't read all of the replies

I would check out your local ICAN FB page and get some opinions there.  They're VERY pro-VBAC (and some can be extreme and be very anti-c/s).  Personally I don't trust the % calculator.  I've had 1 vaginal delivery followed by 2 scheduled c/s.  My 2nd c/s was absolutely horrible (I was 3.5 years older but all of my kiddos were in school or daycare during my recovery time).  I'm now 14w in a 4th pregnancy and I actually switched doctors to a more VBAC friendly doc.  Your ICAN page may give you feedback on if your doc is VBAC "friendly" or VBAC "tolerant".  Do your own research and make a decision based on that.  Your % went down because you haven't had a successful vaginal delivery, but your c/s was due to the baby's heart rate, not necessarily because you're unable to have a successful vaginal delivery.
    This! Those calculators are way off! I wouldn't trust them for nothing.  I wouldn't let that be the reason for not trying a VBAC.  If you really want to try, I would, but your OB doesn't sound very VBAC friendly if they are using that calculator and trying to sway your decision by it.  I'm almost 29 weeks and in a VBAC friendly office and they have never used such a calculator on me.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty if you decide to schedule a c-section.  For DS, I had a scheduled c-section because of his size/proportions.  They said his proportions in relation to mine would not be good, and he could have ended up with a dislocated shoulder or even permanent nerve damage.  The c-section was totally fine.  I had a minor reaction to the anesthesia, but everything else was no problem at all.  Now that I'm pregnant with #2, I just assumed that I would have another c-section.  A VBAC just didn't occur to me, so I was surprised when my doctor mentioned it at one of my first appointments.  She said I should think about it, but she did mention, as other posters have said, that a scheduled c/s does make it easier to arrange for child care when you already have a little one.  I talked to a couple of doctors about it, but they basically just left it up to me.  I'm honestly not really that interested in a VBAC, so I will probably just go with a scheduled c/s again.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"