Natural Birth

Advice for natural childbirth

Does anyone have advice on bearing through the pain at the hospital naturally?

I am unable to take a Lamaze class, hypnosis, doula or water birthing for financial and other reasons.

So it's pretty much just bearing through it for me in the hospital room. Yikes! And unfortunately hubby is not the best when it comes to helping me pain wise if our first child's birth was any indication haha

Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Advice for natural childbirth

• So when you labor out of the bed, do they keep the monitors on you? I've had 2 babies but I remember staying in bed and had the epidural. I'm hoping to go without this time. I'd like to walk and shower etc but I'm wondering how they do that lol. I'm so hopeful I go into labor on my own this time so I can do most of it at home but I was induced with my other 2. 
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with PPs in saying read lots of birth stories. We never took a class or anything and I had the med free birth that I wanted. Your body knows what to do. Let it do it. And I agree with the water! The tub was awesome. I didn't have any monitors on me unless they were checking the baby. They'd put them on, check everything, and then take them off so I could move around as I pleased.

My DH was awesome and super supportive. If yours isn't going to be a huge help, do you have anyone else you'd like to be there? Your mom? MIL? Friend? I think having someone supportive is huge.

During contractions you need to try to relax. It's so hard to do. Your body will naturally want to tense up. I was focusing on relaxing my shoulders during contractions and it really helped. Just having something to focus on helped me ignore the pain a bit.

Good luck! You can do it! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @Mommy2Boys09 I would check with your OB and your hospital about how they monitor you out of bed.  My hospital allows intermittent fetal monitoring so that you can walk around, be in the labor tub, be out of bed, etc.  If a laboring woman doesn't have an epidural or pitocin or other interventions, they allow her to be out of bed, not hooked up to monitors.  They monitor her with a remote monitor like every 30 to 60 minutes. 

• This has been a huge help thank you! I will definitely be looking into books about it.

I'm hoping to be at home as long as possible but I've read somewhere that you shouldn't be in a tub if your water breaks. That doesn't make sense due to there being water birthing so I'm looking more into it! Because I know that would definitely help me :)

• I agree that Ina May's book is very helpful.  I did not take a birth class with either child and did fine.  I do think that being as educated as possible is very helpful, but there is a ton out there (both books and different websites). I labored at home until I was contracting about a min to min 1/2 apart with my first and walked into the hospital fully dilated, which removed getting an epi from the list!  In all honesty- the entire process for me was mind over matter and letting go of any self doubt that I had.  I definitely had a few moments where I struggled, but then I reminded myself to keep going and just push through. 

Definitely check with your care provider and hospital on their policies- I'm with a hospital based MW group and we are planning on a water birth so they definitely let women labor in the tub after their water has broken!  We've mostly discussed the timing this time- I'll probably go to the hospital a little sooner so I can be sure to be able to get in the tub before I need to push.  I've also focused a lot on positioning and have been mentally preparing to use positions that are uncomfortable as those will be the ones that will help the most (with my first- I had a mental block and caved to the intense pressure that I felt in certain positions- in retrospect those would have been the ones that would have gotten me there sooner). 

I look back and was not in pain, I just felt crazy intense pressure the entire time and idk that pain meds would have done much in that case.  I felt great after I gave birth and my first nurse on the recovery floor commented about how great I looked- I'm guessing it was because I had not been pumped full of fluids and wasn't in labor very long (9 1/2 hours from the time my water broke).  Your body will do amazing things if you stay relaxed and trust the process.  You can do it! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had 2 natural births in the hospital.  I feel like the first one doesn't count because it was so fast I didn't have a choice!

But...my last birth was a bit longer.  I used the shower, but I didn't feel it helped the contractions.  It was relaxing between contractions, but not during.  I was at a birth center inside a hospital.  Hep locks and intermittent monitoring were routine.  They didn't ask you if you wanted meds unless you asked. 

The only thing I did to prepare was to read birth stories and read about birth itself.  I tried to relax through the contractions.  At the point where is feels like you just can't do it anymore...you're almost done.

Remember when pushing that once the baby comes out all the pain stops.  That is what really gets me to focus on effective pushing! 

It's painful, really painful, but it's definitely do-able.  Just remember that for most of human history there have been no pain meds for birth.  You can do it.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Taking classes doesn't have to be expensive.  I have GentleBirth and that's only $99 and I love it.  They have a Natural Hospital Birth class that's just $14.95.  I found hypnosis to be very valuable and I'm happy I did them, so if that's not out of budget I'd look into it.  Way cheaper than most other Birth Hypnosis courses I've found.

As for how to do it, read birth stories, be educated, and know what you want!  Listen to anyone who's done a natural birth and learn what they did.  I had what I call a big bag of tricks when I went into labor because I listened to everyone and what they had to say.  Some of the best advice was to lie back on a birthing ball, bounce on the ball, lean over at your waste onto the bed and sway your hips, and having someone squeeze your hips.  But what worked for me may not work for you so just make a mental note of every trick you hear!

For my childbirth wasn't painful.  It was just obnoxious being told I couldn't push when all I wanted to do was push!  Fighting that urge was horrible, but once I was fully dilated and got the green light to push it was pain-free.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• So when you labor out of the bed, do they keep the monitors on you? I've had 2 babies but I remember staying in bed and had the epidural. I'm hoping to go without this time. I'd like to walk and shower etc but I'm wondering how they do that lol. I'm so hopeful I go into labor on my own this time so I can do most of it at home but I was induced with my other 2. 
    Most hospitals will require constant monitoring if you have an epi.  It's 50/50 what their policy is if you don't get one.  I actually don't know what my hospital's policy was since I went into labor before my hospital tour and class.  They did put me on a monitor when I first got there to track my contractions, but after about 3 I took it off and declared it wasn't comfortable and they never tried putting it back on.  The nurse occasionally asked to put it on quickly between contractions, but held it herself and removed it as soon as my next contraction started.  Even if they'd tried to attach it to me again I wouldn't have allowed it.

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I didn't take a class either time other than the hospital class about birth in general, which included an hour of natural birth related info. Google c-breathing or j-breathing. That was really helpful to me. That technique concentrates on relaxing all of you, from the jaw and forehead, down in a c or j shape, all the way through your birth canal. And DH was absotively zero help. I didn't need him to be. I just wanted to be in my zone and wanted everyone to leave me alone. His sole job was to run when I told him to get the nurses bc I was about to push out a baby. He did that brilliantly. (And both times the baby almost came before the doctor did!)
  • Focus on relaxing through the contractions. It is really hard to do, like a balancing act, because contractions are strong, breathing and vocalizing really help. I sang and chanted through my contractions!

The best advice I was given was not to bear down or tense up, but to relax and to vocalize.
  • Hi Nichole!

Both of my babies were born naturally.  My first was a hospital birth.  While I did have a doula, I didn't use her very much.  It turned out that what she did really annoyed me.  There was nothing wrong with it.  I even got my own DONA certification after my son was born so I know she was doing everything right.  I guess I tend to be the picky type.  :P  For me, what worked the best was being in constant motion.  I walked and twisted and bent, however it felt best to me in that moment.  If I needed someone to apply pressure, on my back for instance, I'd ask, but for the most part I was so focused on myself that everyone else could have been 100 miles away.  The other thing I can recommend is borrowing or buying a Bradley method book.  I used those ideas with both kids and they were very helpful.  
  • If you live somewhere that offers childbirth classes and doulas, reach out. There are many women who want to support other mothers in achieving a med free birth even if you can't afford to pay them. Many doulas will reduce their fee if there is a real financial need, and doulas that are not yet certified often work for free because they need the experience. The same goes for Bradley Method instructors in training - I just recently met one that is teaching and attending births for free because it's part of her certification. Please look into these options! :) Support is sooo important. 

You also need to talk to your care provider and possibly switch if they are not natural birth friendly. The main things you want to make sure of is that either the hospital has a portable telemetry monitor (wireless) or the doctor will sign off on having you checked by nurses intermittently. You do not want to be on a wired monitor and kept to a bed. Likewise, talk to your doctor about having a hep-lock for emergency purposes but not having an iv drip hooked up if you don't need it.  You also need to be supported in eating and drinking through labor, and have access to move around in different comfortable positions and use water (hot shower). You can also bring your own tools to the birth - like a mat for laboring on the floor, a tennis ball for counter pressure if you have back labor, herbal tea, music, etc. 

The best tip I can give you is to read the book "natural birth in a hospital" and "ina may's guide to childbirth" and try to labor at home as long as possible. If you get to the hospital and are barely dialated, you are on their clock and have more time to consider interventions. If you are already in active labor (which can take some time...) you will not be pushed into induction or epidurals.  It is so important (but not vital) that your husband be educated about why you want a natural birth and gets on board. You are going to have times that you need his full support and need him to know how to comfort you. Talk to him and get him a book or two to help prepare. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I found the most helpful thing was to focus on a spot on the ceiling and really focus on taking slow, deep breaths. On the exhale I would make a vibrating noise with my lips and it seemed to help! Being vocal (grunting/moaning etc) also seemed to take some of the edge off. Find something that works and stick with it, it's over before you know it!
    for me they monitored me for 20 minutes when I got there and then let me get up for 40 minutes.  After that every hour they wanted 5 minutes on the monitor/hour.

After the first hour I was shaking so bad i couldn't even walk around so I stayed in the bed on the monitor the entire time.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I was induced for my first baby.  It was hellacious.  I was nervous about the induction and my baby was struggling and I was developing Pre E.  It was not in a good state of mind when I went in.  I lasted 13 hours on pitocin before asking for my epi.  For my second baby I went all natural.

1) Minute by minute.  Don't think about how much further you have to go.  Instead, think that every contraction is one step closer to being finished and meeting your baby.

2) Associate pain with positivity.  This pain is going to end with a baby!  Every contraction is your baby getting closer and closer to you.

3) Relax!  Worrying is the number 1 reason i got an epi the first time. I was so nervous I could never relax.

4) follow your instincts.  DH and I did hypno birthing for DS2 and it was NOT for me.  I just couldn't do it and gave up after a few weeks of practice (we bought teh kit for home).  Amazingly, during labor my body/mind knew exactly what i needed.  For me it was a focus.  I had DH talk to me the entire time I had a contraction telling me how strong I was, I am doing this, I am going to have a baby soon, I am amazing.  He would just use positive affirmations through the entire upswing of the contraction and then tell me it's over, you made it as they were on the downswing.

5) If your nurse is not supportive, DEMAND  a new one.  I had a horrible nurse for my first labor and I really regret not asking for a new one.  She told me that going all natural was pointless, I already had pitocin I should just get the epi.  She knew I couldn't last so I might as well get it now, etc.  If I think the pain is bad now, just wait it's only going to get worse.

6) If a position is not working for you, MOVE.  Don't stay in bed, or on a birthing ball just because you feel you have to.  Again, my first nurse kept telling me how amazing they work, etc. and i stayed because i felt i had to and it was hell.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • PPs gave you a lot of good options. I'd also add that the Hypnobirthing book has some good visualization techniques. I've been practicing some to help me fall asleep. Seem to help with the ADD and other random thoughts.

What I learned in my first class was that it's important for you to be able to teach yourself to relax on command. Think pavlov's dogs.... So whatever that is for you, try and practice that.

Also make sure your birth partner (husband, sister, whomever) knows your birth plan and isn't afraid to be the one making the decisions and asking about options (that's a big part of the doulas here) so you can focus on relaxing. They described it to me as he better be ready to think and I be better be ready to whisk myself away to lah lah land.....

I watched a live birth and the only noise the woman made was breathing and one grunt when baby flopped out. Didn't sound painful like it does in movies (visualize screaming) so also don't assume that it has to be.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can do homestudy classes.  No need to do an in person one.  

• Hi JC!!!

For anyone considering GentleBirth there's a $20 discount thru December if you use the coupon BLOSSOM (all caps) at https://www.GentleBirth.com

Best wishes for a very positive birth!
  • I would definitely suggest Ina May's guide to childbirth. I learned so much about what relaxation and positions can do for birth. I am hoping to go all natural for baby #2 due in March. I was able to check it out from the library and it really changed my perspective on what I'm capable of and how to achieve it.
  • For anyone that reads this and is interested, I have Ina May's guide to childbirth, which I have read in it's entirety, and I am willing to send it to anyone who may want it, my treat!  PM me if you'd like it.
    I am not a super fan of the book as everyone else is, because while the birth stories are very positive and reaffirming, I feel like they are a little too far removed from a hospital birth (since I believe most if not all of the stories take place on "The farm" - how many people do you know that have gone there specifically?), which might be the only good and comforting option for a FTM in a NB-UNfriendly state (I would consider mine one - there is only ONE birthing center in the whole state!).
    But whatever you feel you can do to mentally prepare - reading Ina May books, taking live or home-study classes, having frequent heart-to-hearts with your husband, or hiring a doula - to build your confidence and good attitude going into labor, will surely be great preparation!
  • I didn't take any of those classes either. I did do a lot of reading though. I found that when I was in labor the two things that helped me the most was counter pressure on my lower back and laboring in water. With the two of those combined I got through the birth of my second daughter with absolutely no problems! Natural birth is a wild ride, but so worth it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Watch the "business of being born" with your husband -- and take it with a grain of salt. I plan to have a natural hospital birth and the movie is clearly pro-homebirth. For my husband though, I think it started making more sense of why I wanted to go natural. Less interventions, less complications. It made him really start paying attention when I would talk about tips and tricks for having a natural childbirth.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Hi JC!!!

For anyone considering GentleBirth there's a $20 discount thru December if you use the coupon BLOSSOM (all caps) at https://www.GentleBirth.com

Best wishes for a very positive birth!
    This is a good deal!  Does it apply to the add-ons?  I'd love to get a couple but we're buying a house so we can't really spend a ton of money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"