February 2015 Moms
Options

Stretch Marks - edit (PUPPP)

babybravesfanbabybravesfan member
edited December 2014 in February 2015 Moms
Sorry if this is already a thread on another board. I searched but couldn't find it. Has anyone else's stretch marks been itching like crazy? I have tried hydrocortisone cream and it seems to do nothing. They almost hurt to touch bc I can't stop scratching them. I keep my belly moisturized, so I don't think it could be dry skin but I may be wrong. Anyone else having this problem and found a solution?

Edit: I left my original post for those who need relief for stretch marks bc there are some awesome ideas on here. Unfortunately, I mentioned the itching and what is now a rash all over at my dr. visit a week later and they have confirmed it to be PUPPP. I didn't want to create a whole separate thread for this bc I'm not sure how common or if anyone else is experiencing it, but if anyone else does have it I'm struggling with any relief from the itching. Even the cream the doctor prescribed is not helping at all.

Re: Stretch Marks - edit (PUPPP)

• Options

I would check with your doctor about using hydrocortisone cream, I had a pharmacist tell me it wasn't safe to use during pregnancy

I've been using coconut oil and Aveda beautifying oil. It helps some with the itching, at least it's keeping my skin hydrated 

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

Being able to get out of bed on the first try

• Options
    They make creams/lotions specifically for stretch marks. Have you tried any of them? Some of them can get costly but I have found one at Sephora that works well for me at least- it's called Mustela.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @racheltherose‌ Thanks! I didn't realize that. Good thing it wasn't helpful and I stopped using it. So many things are on the no no list it's hard to keep up. I will ask my doctor at my next appointment!

• Options
    @babybravesfan Yeah I was surprised when the pharmacist told me that. It's next to impossible to keep up with ALL of the don't use things on the list, luckily we have eachother

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

Being able to get out of bed on the first try

• Options
    @usmcwife89‌ I actually use coconut oil for the stretch marks but it doesn't seem to stop them from itching. And they are kinda raised and puffy, although it could be from me scratching them.

• Options
    The best advice I have is to use vitamin E,  it really moisturizes your skin, I even use it on my lips when they are really chapped and I need quick relief.  My stretch marks  don't really itch but some are really painful and it just helps to ease the discomfort.  I prefer to use the ointment which I get at GNC but the oil works too (just a little messier) but you can get it at more places. I like straight Vitamin E vs. the lotion with it because I feel like it absorbs into my skin better.  

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    It's like a really bad snowball effect when you scratch them. You want to stop because it hurts but they itch so bad! :-/
  • Options
    @chickyclg‌ does that help reduce the appearance of them too? Or is that just for keeping them from itching? And @usmcwife89‌ I knowww!! It's awful. My husband's tells me just leave them alone but sometimes I can't control it. I'll accidently scratch them and it's like I've set off a "you must scratch your belly non stop for the next 30 min" bomb.

• Options
    Vitamin e oil, witch hazel and cold packs have helped me in the past.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mine only itch if I touch them and then they hurt. I just avoid touching them unless I'm layering my body in oil! Good luck!
  • Options
    I'll have to try vitamin E! Seems like a lot of you all use it and like it.

• Options
    I love burt's bee mama bee nourishing body oil. It has been the only thing I've found to combat my dry skin, lately.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @chickyclg‌ does that help reduce the appearance of them too? Or is that just for keeping them from itching? And @usmcwife89‌ I knowww!! It's awful. My husband's tells me just leave them alone but sometimes I can't control it. I'll accidently scratch them and it's like I've set off a "you must scratch your belly non stop for the next 30 min" bomb.
    To be honest hun mine look really bad but I'm also having twins so I have grown really fast (I was measuring 41 weeks 2 weeks ago).  From what I understand for the most part they are genetic and there is no "miracle cream" that will stop them, so don't spend a fortune on a stretch mark fix.  After you have the baby though having your skin moisturized well should help the skin "bounce back" easier. They will fade eventually though.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    chickyclg said:
    To be honest hun mine look really bad but I'm also having twins so I have grown really fast (I was measuring 41 weeks 2 weeks ago).  From what I understand for the most part they are genetic and there is no "miracle cream" that will stop them, so don't spend a fortune on a stretch mark fix.  After you have the baby though having your skin moisturized well should help the skin "bounce back" easier. They will fade eventually though.
    This. I have done a really good job at keeping moisturized with miracle cream, but I owe my belly to my mom as it's primarily genetic.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @chickyclg‌ Yeah, my mom had them bad with me so I knew I was going to get them. I'm not as concerned about reducing the appearance (even though that is what I was using coconut oil for) as I am just making them stop itching so much. But I just figured it couldn't hurt to keep moisturizing so that after the baby they may fade.

• Options
    I use bio oil, baby oil, coconut oil, whatever I can get my hands on for the itchy itchy!
  • Options
    So this may or may not be good advice, but when I have an intense itch and nothing I have is working, I put ice on it for a few minutes and it goes away. Also as others have suggested, try your very best to not scratch as it makes it itch more. If you have to scratch ( and sometimes you do) try to rub instead. 

I am sure you probably already do all of this, but that is my advice :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
    MMC- 11/2013 @ 9 weeks
  • Options
    One of my friends had PUPPP when she was pregnant. She said it started from the stretch marks, looked more like a rash and nothing seemed to help.  The doc prescribed some steroids for her to take to help her sleep better. Not trying to scare you, but do get it checked out soon!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been using Palmers coco butter...so far so good.  No marks on belly, and while that could be genetic, I am prone to marks usually..I have them on my boobs from this pregnancy.  I love the way the stuff smells too.
  • Options
    I had PUPPS with my first and nothing helped with the itching. I think some itching is normal, but raised bumps and puffiness isn't. Definitely ask your OB about it. You should see a dermatologist if your OB/MW diagnoses you with PUPPS - there are safe creams/steroids while pregnant. Also, hydrocortisone is safe, at least according to my OB and dermatologist. My first is smart as a whip, so I'd say my twice daily slather of it from 36-41 weeks didn't hurt her. :)

Sorry you're all itchy. :(
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So I actually use Mary Kay night cream on my belly and my boobs! It has tons of vitamins in it and it really heals the skin. My boobs itch something terrible... I mean all the freaking time! But the Mary Kay actually helps a lot. I tried all kinds of other lotions, petroleum jelly, cocoa and Shae butter, nipple cream, etc- but the Mary Kay works the best. But that's not really what it's for, but I don't care. I'll take any relief I can get lol
  • Options
    I'm using Palmers Cocoa Butter, but honestly, I just like smelling like chocolat
  • Options
    Hydrocortisone is fine during pregnancy. I use it daily on my face to keep exema at bay. https://www.m.webmd.com/baby/guide/taking-medicine-during-pregnancy?page=2
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    I agree with Hydrocortisone being safe in pregnancy, especially if it is 1% (the stuff sold over the counter.) 
    It could very well be the start of PUPPPs, which is safe for you and the baby but unbelievably annoying and itchy. I have had some people/patients do well with topical Benadryl gel. If it is really itchy 1-2 tablets of oral Benadryl before bed at night specifically can be helpful (Benadryl is category B, which is safe, it just may make you drowsy). 
    Oatmeal baths and cold compresses/ice like others have suggested can be helpful as well. Hang in there, mama! Itching can be pretty uncomfortable but you're babe will be worth it!
  • Options
    mirigirl said:
    So this may or may not be good advice, but when I have an intense itch and nothing I have is working, I put ice on it for a few minutes and it goes away. Also as others have suggested, try your very best to not scratch as it makes it itch more. If you have to scratch ( and sometimes you do) try to rub instead. 

I am sure you probably already do all of this, but that is my advice :) 
    I was going to say the opposite lol... when I have a really bad itch (aka: poison ivy YUCK!) I love standing the shower and putting the shower head directly on the itchy spot... I also turn the heat up (bc it's typically poison ivy for me so the heat helps open it up to dry)... it feels amazing when I'm doing it and keeps me from scratching the skin w my nails!

***July Siggy Challenge***
    Favorite Summer Time Treat: "Anything Poolside!"

IAmPregnant Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! You guys are all so helpful!! :)

• Options
    You might try jojoba oil. It's my favorite (I'm a massage therapist and it's all I use). It's actually an ester not a true oil so it doesn't stain and it's the closest plant based oil to our natural sebum so it really nourishes and soaks in to ease the itching. I've personally had really good success with it.
  • Options
    I have some lotion made for stretch marks but I don't like how greasy it leaves my belly all day. I use just off brand cocoa butter and it seems to really help. My stretch marks are itchy too but worse on the days I forget to apply lotion.
  • Options
    Mentioned the itching at my visit yesterday. Doctor looked at my stretch marks and is pretty sure it's PUPPP. He sent me to the lab for some blood work just in case it had to do with my liver but he said it wasn't just normal dry skin or itchy stretch marks. So thank you to everyone for your advice! It never hurts to get stuff like that checked out!

• Options
    Ive been using regular aveeno lotion as soon as I started itching and it went away.
  • Options
    @amack22 Did you have PUPPP and this helped?

• Options
    I would be careful with hydrocortisone cream, not because of the baby but because it can cause thinning of the skin where it is applied, worsening the situation. Also if you are a person of color you can cause hypo pigmentation with it. Don't apply a steroid without having a doc or mw look at your rash. The steroid can change the appearance and confuse the diagnosis besides what I said above.

OTC products are not necessarily safe or indicated particularly if you don't know what you may be trying to treat. If what you have is temporary and painless, the risks outweigh the benefits for anything other than cold cream, even financially. If what you have is the beginning of something medical (tinea, striae, pupps, etc) you don't want to confuse it by converting it's appearance.
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options
    @babybravesfan‌ no I didnt! Just itchy in general lol
  • Options
    Does anyone else have PUPPP or has experienced it? Any advice? 8 more weeks of this itching sounds miserable :(

• Options
    A dermatologist can help you much more than an OB can. Their specialty is skin and rashes. I hope your blood draw comes back normal.

As far as OTC stuff... I used hydrocortisone minimally (1x a day right before bed) because it didn't help much. My OB also had me taking 2 benedryl at night, though I'd talk to your doctor about that. Cool oatmeal baths help; heat makes it worse. Oatmeal-based lotions are good. Try to touch it as little as possible. I've read that grandpa pine tar soap helps (I think that's what it is called), as does drinking v8 juice. I cannot tell you whether those work or not. But, seriously, see a dermatologist ASAP.
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @Jay_Cee‌ ! The earliest appointment I could get for the dermatologist is Jan 6 so I'm just trying to not lose my sanity before then. It's so miserable that I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

• Options
    I was diagnosed with puppp at the 19 weeks. Be glad you only have 8 weeks. Hehehe. I was told to use pin tar soap and it actually helped. Hydrocortisone is fine to use it was prescribed to me by both my Ob and when I went to the dermatologist
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with PUPPPS also. I've found relief with grandpas tar pine soap and natures own oatmeal lotion. Also drinking v8 about 3 times a day helps. I'm pretty sure I'm cured. Haven't itched in over 3 weeks. I also switched my detergent to honest company.
  • Options
    @babybravesfan‌
    I got it with my first pregnancy. didn't get it until about 40 weeks. Delivered at 40+5 naturally. But the rash hung around until about six weeks postpartum, so what they say about delivering makes the rash go away is utter BS. :(
    I hope it goes away quickly for you. No one needs that rash and a newborn.
    I hope I don't get it this time.
    Pregnancy safe antihistamines, pine tar soap, calamine lotion.

From what research I could find they don't really know what causes it, but it is more common with heavier babies, boys and first pregnancies.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Also, did you see the puppps thread? Some people have been taking dandelion root capsules with good effect. Speak to dr about safe dose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"