Secondary IF
Options

Assisted Hatching

Does anyone know anything about assisted hatching? I just found out today that my RE includes assisted hatching as part of a FET treatment plan no matter what as long as insurance covers it. I am under 35, have multiple high quality frozens, etc. I don't know anything about this procedure. I am nervous about the thought of manually breaking any lining - can this cause harm to the embryo? Can this increase the changes of mental or physical disability?
TTC Since January 2011 Clomid - 3 cycles - BFN IVF Cycle #1 - 27 eggs, 0 fertilized - cycle cancelled ICSI Cycle #2 - 18 eggs, 16 fertilized - BFP (miscarriage at 5 weeks) FET Cycle #3 - transferred 2 - BFP - TWINS! (lost one twin at 8 weeks)

Re: Assisted Hatching

• Options
    It can increase the chances of successful implantation up to 20%. If you are concerned with this potentially causing a disability, discuss it further with your DOCTOR. 

You're welcome. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    IVF itself may come with a slightly higher risk of autism spectrum disorder. I don't know what risks hatching adds or what other disorders may be more likely with assisted reproduction technologies.

Your doctor should be well-read on this or know where to find the info quickly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why do you need to worry about assisted hatching if you are under 35 and have healthy embryos? Those would be two disqualifiers for assisted hatching. I feel like you're fishing for something and I'm not sure what or why. Have you talked to your RE? I feel like this is super random. Am I missing something?
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    Am I the only one who has never heard anything about disability and IVF?

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• Options
    It's a possibility in any form of conception, but it's very low unless you have specific reasons why that likely hood would be increased, AMA, known genetic issues, etc. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It's a possibility in any form of conception, but it's very low unless you have specific reasons why that likely hood would be increased, AMA, known genetic issues, etc. 

This is exactly what I thought. I've seen people mention this before about ivf and disabilities and always thought just what you wrote above.

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• Options
    I have heard BS talk about the idea that IVF is forcing the body to reproduce when it doesn't want to do it on its own, and that can cause an increased risk of not having a healthy embryo.

Just like my former OB who told me that I shouldn't take progesterone (even though I have documented LPD) because then my body couldn't get rid of a "bad genetic pregnancy" because the progesterone would force my body to keep it. < I couldn't run out of that office any faster
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Considering the replies to my question, maybe I am simply in the wrong forum. I was under the impression this was a supportive community for those using infertility treatment to have a second, third, etc. child?

If this is correct, I was simply reaching out to see if anyone had experience with having assisted hatching as part of their treatment plan.

Yup..I will talk to my Dr, but doesn't mean there aren't other people out their with experiences and opinions I am interested in hearing. Also NO idea why this question is so random or what I could possibly be fishing for. It is simple...all of a sudden assisted hatching is part of my treatment..it involves poking a hole in the outer lining of the embryo...the initial thought of this procedure seems scary/risky. I didnt ask for assisted hatching...I was just told it was standard procedure despite the fact we did not do that when we had my DD.
    TTC Since January 2011 Clomid - 3 cycles - BFN IVF Cycle #1 - 27 eggs, 0 fertilized - cycle cancelled ICSI Cycle #2 - 18 eggs, 16 fertilized - BFP (miscarriage at 5 weeks) FET Cycle #3 - transferred 2 - BFP - TWINS! (lost one twin at 8 weeks)
  • Options
    Ok, you didn't ask anyone's personal experience with AH. You asked if AH can damage the embryo and / or cause a disability, and honestly you could have easily googled this information, aside from of course asking your Dr.

Now had you asked our personal experience with AH, I would have told you I tried it with 3 of 7 embryos that we transferred. It was NOT a successful cycle, however I believe that AH along with other methods can greatly increase the general success rates of an IVF transfer.

You should feel free to join other forums if you find this one too direct, but do so knowing that your question has been answered. We are people dealing with IF on an internet forum, NOT medical professionals. All we can do is share our own personal experiences with you, we can in no way educate you on the affects certain treatments may have on your future embryos. You have to be your own advocate, do your own research, and of course, have these discussions with medical professionals.  

Good luck. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You asked. You through in that you were under 35 and hag healthy embryos so it looks to me that you were looking for information you already knew. You also didn't ask for personal experiences.
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    And with that we DROP THE MIC! The crowd goes crazy!
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I have never "met" so many judgemental people in my life. Worrying about a child with disabilities is fair - and doing something that may increase the risk is not fair to the child. I could google all day and find a million different answers that all contradict each other, and maybe I would get those answers from this group as well. I didn't realize I needed to specify personal experience since you all are not Doctors - you can't give me medical advice - figured it was implied.

Yes - I read when AH is often used - over 35, bad embryos, etc - none of which I have yet I am still using the procedure bc it is common practice.

I am sorry that you don't care that IVF is still fairly new and we have no idea how it affects our children. I do care and I think we have a responsibility to know risks before we move forward. Does having a disabled child scare me? Yup. Would I do what I could do prevent it? Yup. Would I love my child if it happened anyway? Yup. It's not that complicated.

So for my benefit and yours - I will be leaving this board. Good luck to you all (and pick up your mic.)
  • Options
    Kiki33 said:

I am sorry that you don't care that IVF is still fairly new and we have no idea how it affects our children. I do care and I think we have a responsibility to know risks before we move forward. Does having a disabled child scare me? Yup. Would I do what I could do prevent it? Yup.
    if you REALLY think IVF and all it's associated invasive procedures are risky enough that they might give you a disabled child THEN DONT DO IT. it's that simple. yup. oh wait... looks like you have already DONE IT.

Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• Options

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BAM!
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"