Natural Birth
Options

Has anyone delivered while squatting?

How "exposed" are you?  I know most say "you won't care", I've BTDT a few times, trust me, I care.  Normally I wouldn't with just doctors, nurses, and DH (and other women), but as a gestational carrier, I'd like to be as covered as possible in front of the intended father.  I could ask him to wait in the hall, but I'd really rather just not have to worry about being out in the open for everyone to see.  I could do the flat on my back and I know my doc would understand my wish for modesty and cover my legs with a blanket, but I'd like to have a more comfortable birthing position than that.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
BabyGaga

Re: Has anyone delivered while squatting?

• Options
    I haven't squatted, but I've started to deliver on my hands and knees (it's what was most comfortable at the time, but for various reasons I was made to get onto my back).

I happened to be naked, but if I'd had a top on, then assuming people weren't at the business end then they would have just seen the top of my buttocks. If you had  a longer top, then that could give more coverage. 

From your ticker, I gather you've birthed other babies. What position was most comfortable for you in the past?
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Both hospitals I have delivered at had squatting bars that attach to the end of the bed. I would think that someone could toss a towel over the bar and make you quite protected from some angles. I guess this plan depends on the willingness of the dr. to duck under a towel!
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KateLouise - I've had 1 vaginal birth with an epidural and 2 c/s.  With my vaginal birth of course I was flat on my back since I had the epi.  I'm considering doing Hypnobabies right now but haven't made a final decision yet.

@MitoRachel - the new doc I'm seeing seems to be very accommodating and I don't think she would have an issue trying doing what needed to be done to keep my as covered as possible.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Gosh, I tried every position to get my first out. She was posterior and she wouldn't budge. Honestly, I felt no more "exposed" squatting than I did on my back with my legs in the air. With whatever position you choose, have the Dad just stand somewhere where his view is obstructed. If you are laying down have him stand by your head. If you are squatting have him stand a few steps back behind the doctor and nurses. That should cover most of you. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I pushed for 2 hours squatting and if I had people other than DH and the nurse in my room I wouldn't have been comfortable in any position. I would look into wearing a birthing skirt. I had a short nightgown on but the nurse was all up in there helping to turn my OP baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a birthing dress because we had originally planned to birth in the hospital. When we switched to the birthing center I opted for a water birth.

The dress was a wrap, just above knee length. I think it would be perfect in your situation. Good luck! I also wanted to say being a GC is an amazing gift! Good luck with your birth!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"