Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

After Breastfeeding...What to do?

I exclusively breastfed my DS for almost a full 12 months and now my supply is drastically declining.  Besides my emotional issues with this change, I am also struggling with what to feed him.  He won't sit still long enough to eat, what I consider, a full meal. So he is always asking for something.  What kinds of healthy snacks, lunches, dinner, do you feed your LO.  

thanks for the ideas! :)

Re: After Breastfeeding...What to do?

• Options
    keep in mind what you think is a full meal is probably way more than he needs. my son would eat whatever we ate at meals. 

for snacks: fruit, bread, veggies, yogurt, puffs, lentils/beans, cheese, etc. around 12 months i would give him a morning snack and afternoon snack, but keep it small and try to keep him eating more at meals. now at 20 months he almost never has a morning snack and it's 50/50 if he has an afternoon snack.

i do think kids can be taught to eat most of their foods at meals but one way isn't necessarily better than others. i take time and effort to give my kids healthy meals so i prefer they eat the majority of their food at meals and snacks are generally a little bit of fruit. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A good rule of thumb I think about to remind myself about portion size is : 1 tablespoon of food per year (age of child) per food group. Also I don't try to make sure she has every food group at every meal, usually just something "heavy" like cheese or pasta or a bread and something 'light" like fruit. Our daughter is just now a year and she does not do meat well yet so we make sure to give her beans and avocado and peanut butter etc to get protein. There are definitely meals where she will take one bite and then refuse more solids but want her bottle of milk and nothing else. Since she is still young I try solids first but then will give her a bottle if she isn't interested in the solid foods. As she gets older I will try to phase out the bottle but we are not being strict with that yet.

Have you done any solids yet, like puree's? I know you said you EBF until 12 months but did you let your son experiment at all with any type of solids until now? If not start on really soft easy to mash foods like berries, beans, string cheese, puffs, grapes cut into quarters. Once he has shown he can swallow things well without choking Id move on to things like mac n cheese, other chunky pastas in sauce, steamed veggies, small bites of toast/bread with Peanut Butter or jam or banana on it. Mini pancakes, roasted veggies cut into bite size pieces. Anyway thats the idea. Checkout Pintrest for other great ideas with pictures!!!!

Basicly remember that at this age babies can be very picky eaters but they will not let themselves starve. So keep offering a variety of healthy choices, eat with them so they see how much you like it too, and they will eventually get the idea.

Good Luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son loves the chicken fingers recipe on this page: https://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/infant-finger-food.html.  He eats those at lunch with steamed frozen mixed veggies.

• Options
    I read a book called Baby Bites by Bridget Swinney and that really helped me create a gameplan for what foods to try, when and how. I am sure there are many other great books too that you could check out.

Also, it is VERY emotionally tough to wean/lose supply so hugs to you. You did a great job to EBF for that long and you can still bond with that LO even if you aren't breastfeeding. I exclusively pumped for about 10 months and then decided to reduce sessions and boom- lost the supply. Cue tears and regrets. Go easy on yourself and journal or cry or whatever you need to during this transition!
  • Options
    If he's a year old or near it, he can have whatever you're having.  My second DD didn't like baby food and started grabbing food off of my plate by 6-7 months, so I just went with it.  Between meals, I try to stick with fruit and cheese for snacks.
  • Options
    DD is a grazer some days and others she eats 3 full meals.  Things she has liked since turning 1 have been rice & beans, chicken or turkey, cheese, yogurt, applesauce, apple slices, strawberries or blueberries, potatoes, and she's obsessed with avocado.  I'll offer her anything I'm eating and we're working on vegetables.  Right now I have to hide them in other things to make sure she gets the nutrients but just the other day she at half my salad so I considered that a huge milestone.

Don't think of a meal in terms of what you normally eat - your LOs stomach is much smaller so it gets full quicker.  Grazing is ok if you can keep up with it and offer healthy options.
  • Options
    Cheese Sticks, slices of ham, veggie sticks and hummus, chick peas, oatmeal, popcorn chips, cut up fruit, etc.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"