March 2015 Moms

Washing Baby Items

Hey Everyone, 
I am in major nesting mode and I am itching to start washing LO's clothes/linens. I know it is too early (25 weeks). When do you plan to wash your baby's clothing and linens?
Thanks!

Re: Washing Baby Items

• Probably after my shower, which isn't until late January. I don't have much to wash right now.
  • I've already done a lot of washing too.  This is baby #2, so no shower to wait for.  I've gotten a lot of used clothes from friends, so I've gone ahead and washed all of the newborn and 0-3 stuff.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • I washed a bunch of clothes last week and their stored in a space bag. I plan to wash the rest of the items (crib stuff, swing fabric, carrier fabric) after the holidays. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Probably after my shower, which isn't until late January. I don't have much to wash right now.

This. I want to wash but know it's too early. So I'm waiting until after my shower - late January as well.

TTC Since July of 2010
    BFP: July 4th, 2014
    EDD: March 15, 2015

• I'm waiting until after my shower in January. I have bought several clothing items on my own, and I want to make sure I don't get a duplicate or too many of one size before I take the tags off. I know carters doesn't have a return time limit, so I was waiting to make sure nothing that I've already bought needs to go back before I wash. I may have gone a little crazy on Black Friday..
    Me(29), DH (29)
    Married December 2011     TTC#1 Since November 2013
    Dec. 2013... BFP! 12/31/13... Natural M/C 1/29/14 (8 weeks)
    July 2014...BFP!... 17dpo beta 581...19dpo beta 1419!!.. stick baby, stick!
    EDD: 3/20/15.. It's a boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm waiting until the nursery is done, since I don't have anywhere to store things before then.
  • I'll probably start washing clothes and bedding after the nursery is done and after my baby shower. We still need to move furniture out and paint. So maybe in January or February. Plus, I need to use up my existing laundry detergent and buy some fragrance free detergent. I'm going to miss the smell of fresh clean laundry (assuming the fragrance free doesn't have much a smell. never used it before).

• Thanks for asking - I was planning on early March so things would be fresh, but I'm dying to do it ASAP. I'll likely do it in Feb now ... Esp since I'm realizing there will be no fresh laundry scent anyway!
  • Once we set up the nursery then I will wash and put away.
    I don't think anytime is to early.
  • Once the nursery is set up. We have the furniture, but I haven't finished cleaning out our office (soon-to-be nursery). So as soon as I have a dresser ready to go, I'll start washing and putting things away.

I just get overwhelmed when I try to figure what to do with an entire office. I just kinda spin in circles and say, "Ah, screw it." LOL. I need to just dive in... and soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 28 | SO: 28
    BFP: July 22, 2014 | EDD: March 28, 2015
    For Suzy and all M15 Loss Moms
  • I'm gonna say the end of January, or as soon as we get moved in at our new house so it could be February. Luckily I'm due towards the end of March so I'll have time. My moms already washed his outfits and such for when we are at her house(which will be often). I hardly have anything yet though so not a lot to wash clothes wise! Once my husband gets home it'll be a different story because he's going shopping for clothes. The only thing I'd worry about washing this early is of they get a smell from sitting. Not a bad smell, just a strange one from being in the closet or drawer, like a stale smell.
  • Whitfry said:
    I'm waiting until the nursery is done, since I don't have anywhere to store things before then.
    This too... Even if I had a full load to wash, it seems silly to wash and just leave them in baskets on the floor of the empty nursery, which is currently not so empty since I've set up a gift wrapping station in there.
  • edited December 2014
    My poor neglected kid doesn't even have clothes to be washed yet.  :(
    The only reason mine does is because a few people have given us some things and I bought two crib sheets while we were at Ikea in September.

ETA: I definitely meant this as an "I'm in the same boat with nothing done." :)
  • Yes I agree with @kmvisioli

With my first, I washed everything beforehand. Then I was left with a lot of stuff he never wore. This time around I will only be washing a handful of newborn stuff and then leaving tags on everything else. Of course, I will wash sheets and changing covers, etc. but everything else can just wait.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I already washed and stored most of the stuff! I'm no where near ready with other things like the car seat, sleep set up etc. but it makes me feel better crossing off one thing.
  • Momme4lifeMomme4life member
    edited December 2014
    I'll probably pull my 2yo's things out of storage between Christmas and time to go back to work/school and wash those. The new things I'll wash once it's time for maternity leave.
  • I will probably wait until after we move next month because that is when I will really be able to nest and have an actual room for the nursery. Then I will wash again once I have my shower.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I third @LBeez13‌ and @kmvisioli‌. No experience but I've heard this from a few other moms. You definitely want the option to exchange or return any items not used. Also if they are not able to be exchanged or returned you still can resell (yard sale, Craigslist, eBay, etc) and will likely get a better bang for your buck with brand new items.
    3 MCs
    1 Rainbow Baby: Born 4/4/15
    BFP: 4/23/17  EDD 1/5/18
  • We will do the same as we did for DD - wash what we are taking to the hospital and a few other extra sleepers. The rest will stay with tags on it until we are home, settled, and know DS size. If we then need to exchange/ return, we can without hassle.
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We've started washing/organizing in his closet and dresser, but we got lots of hand me downs and have even purchased some clothes at a swap for cheap that already had tags off. Anything with tags is waiting until he's here.
    For SuzyQ0525 and all other M15 losses

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • Same as most - I'm antsy to start washing the meager supply I have (all gifts) but the nursery is mid - paint/drywall so nor ideal storage. And I kinda wanna know if we're talking about a LO that fits/doesn't fit into newborn stuffs.
  • I too am in major nesting mode and have washed most everything I have. I have a lot of hand me downs so I have been trying to organize the different sizes etc.  I am finding it quite overwhelming...anyone else?
  • We are team green and saved everything from our first 2 (have one of each), so we are reusing everything.  I'll probably wash some neutral stuff that we have, as well as whatever baby is wearing home from the hospital.  We haven't even started working on the nursery yet.  I'll probably wash clothes once I have a place to put the clothes. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • With DS, I yanked tags off new items and washed things immediately. I then regretted it when I realized I had too much of some things and wished I could return them or exchange them for other sizes.

This time around, everything new I've bought is still hanging in the closet with tags on it. I will probably wait until she's nearly here before finally sorting through all of that stuff.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 3rd baby + Team Green = no clothes yet.

Well, not completely true. I did get 3 onesies when I was at Lambeau Field for the baby... but they are big enough for next football season...

I also have no baby clothes from my other boys saved (youngest is 5 now)... I'll prob either snag some from the hospital or just send hubby out once baby makes it's arrival.

imageimageimage
  • drudolph11drudolph11 member
    edited December 2014
    We have already washed everything we have just cuz i went baby clothes crazy and got way too many. Someone gave me like 4 huge bags full, i bought a bunch and then people bought me some for my birthday in September so i had a ton. I know i will get a bunch for my shower so i went ahead and got the ones i had done. Now as i acquire more i just wait until i have a full load and do them. I don't think there is any wrong time to do them. I mean hell the sooner you get them done the less you have to worry about at the end when your miserable and swollen and popping out like a balloon (or at least that is how i anticipate me feeling at the end lol). Although i went organization crazy as well and have them hanging up by size and type. Well actually they are now laying on the floor cuz we are doing demo on the room and she doesn't have a closet anymore at this moment lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
    photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
    For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"