July 2014 Moms

need my 5 mo to accept bottle every once in awhile

I need help getting my ds to drink from anything other than my boob. I don't want to completely cut him off yet but need a bit of a break every once and again. Suggestions on nipples, methods etc would be appreciated

Re: need my 5 mo to accept bottle every once in awhile

• I'm in the same boat. We've tried everything....no luck. Please let me know if you find an answer.
    image.
  • Have you tried a sippy cup yet? We pretty much just used one with DS1 starting around 6 months because he didn't like the bottle. I used a straw one that he did well with but some do better with a soft spout. It may still be a little early but could be worth a shot.

The one bottle he did take occasionally was the BreastFlow but I had to be away from him completely pretty much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh man, I am in the same boat as you ladies! My baby girl hates the bottle!! And I'd love to leave her for more than 3-4 hour stretches. We started baby food as a last resort to start filling her tummy while I'm away (homemade with puréed veggies + breast milk). I think I may go buy a sippy cup with a straw type thing... I'm desperate!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My mom is the only one that can get him to take a bottle and some to me it takes forever. I've had the best luck with a medium flow breast like nipple by Playtex. I use the drop in liners. She usually goes in the nursery with all the lights off and rocks him while she gives it to him.

I wish he would take a bottle more regularly because it would be nice if DH could give him a bottle while I'm getting other stuff done.

Good luck!
    First Baby and a complete surprise.
    Hubby has decided to be team green so we are driving friends and family crazy!
  • We almost exclusively BF but use the Avent Natural bottles/nipples and LO takes them fine. Good luck!!
  • I had to stop breastfeeding for a whole day before she finally got hungry enough she would take it. Sometimes they just need a bottle or two to realize it's not that bad. After she accepted the first bottle, things improved dramatically. We had tried every bottle/nipple out there and withholding the boob was the only thing that worked in the end.

Mom to one beautiful July '14 little girl

• I had to trick my DS the first few times he drank with a bottle. I'd get him latched and started on the boob, and then I would slip the bottle into his mouth as he got the initial free for all gulping done.  

That being said we use the wide-neck Dr. Browns bottles with the level 1 nipple.  He refuses to take a standard size nipple.
  • LO takes MAM pacifiers and will only drink from MAM bottles.

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"