February 2015 Moms
Options

When does your doc start checking for dialation?

Best Answer

Re: When does your doc start checking for dialation?

• Options
    I'm sure it's varies among docs, risk factors, and circumstances, but I believe my doc starts checking around 36 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife doesn't until 37 weeks unless their is indication of her needing too, ie contractions. But when I had an ob they started at 30 because I was having braxton Hicks.

Honestly I think my midwife skips it almost universally unless needed.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Mine will start at 36 weeks unless I am having a lot of Braxton Hicks before then.
  • Options
    ????
    Quite the first post. Hi. Ask your doctor. Everyone is different. Some don't even check at all.
    ^ This. Mine said she won't check at all unless my MFM tells her that she needs to and after this month I'll see her more than I'll see my MFM so I doubt I'll be checked til it's go-time.
    Dr. ACPruchnik, TVMD & SBE

F15 January Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward To After Baby's Born

Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With baby #1 I had maybe two internals at the very end (she was a week overdue), none that I am remember with #2 (12 days early), one with baby #3 on my due date (she came 4 days late), and hopefully none this time around. It really depends on the practice, but usually not before 36/38 weeks unless there is a problem- and some will let you have a say depending on your situation. I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    Not until I'm in labour (unless something demands it prior to that). I'm with a MW and her particular approach is to avoid unnecessary intervention (even unnecessary evaluation). I'm sure it is different with different kinds of healthcare professionals (and within each kind).
  • Options
    With my first, I was checked once for dilation. This time I will most likely decline unless I have reason to need one.
  • Options

????

Quite the first post. Hi.

Ask your doctor. Everyone is different. Some don't even check at all.
    This!! My doc doesn't do it at all until the contractions begin. Obviously, if it's required before that he might.
  • Options

????

Quite the first post. Hi.

Ask your doctor. Everyone is different. Some don't even check at all.
    This!! My doc doesn't do it at all until the contractions begin. Obviously, if it's required before that he might.
  • Options
    Check with your doctor.  This definitely varies from provider to provider.  My OB for my previous pregnancy would have started at my 37w appt (DS was born at 36w so it was irrelevant).  My MW this time won't check until I'm in labor unless I request it, assuming there isn't some circumstance that necessitates it.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    My midwives don't check until 41 weeks. They feel it just increases stress since early dilation can hang around for weeks.
  • Options
    My Doctor starts at 35 weeks! As stated each practice differs!
  • Options
    Mine didn't at all last time.  I don't know about this time between age and some medical issues
  • Options

OP - Not smart to have your full name as your bump screen name. It is pretty easy to find someone on Facebook when they use the same picture for both sites. 

Keep rocking the shirtless bump pictures. 
    I love you chicken
    Pregnancy Ticker

Can't wait to meet our darling daughter, Abigail Elizabeth
    BFP#1: 12/14/13, EDD: 8/22/14, mmc@5wks, miso: 1/14/14
    BFP#2: 6/9/14, EDD: 2/14/15

• Options

OP - Not smart to have your full name as your bump screen name. It is pretty easy to find someone on Facebook when they use the same picture for both sites. 

Keep rocking the shirtless bump pictures. 
    Lol..
  • Options
    No checks for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I go to the hospital in labor :) 
  • Options
    My doctor is going to check at 36, but I delivered my other two children at 37 so that is logical. I don't know if they start at 36 for everyone, but my doctor did specifically say she wanted to see how my cervix is doing before I hit 37 weeks.
  • Options
    Mine started at my 30 week appointment (2 weeks ago)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I had to ask to be checked at 39 weeks, (I was curious) my doctors office really doesn't check if there is no reason because it doesn't actually tell you anything. I was 80% effaced and dialated to a 1 and they said I could be like that for awhile or I could labor any time. I went into labor a week later
  • Options
    Mine don't check at all unless I have symptoms of labor, am bleeding, or otherwise need an exam. When i asked about general cervical checks, my OB said "No, we leave that alone!"

I was relieved. I've had my cervix checked twice so far- once when I was having contractions at 20 weeks, another when I was having spotting at 27 weeks. It would be unpleasant to have it checked every appointment starting at 36 weeks or so (without symptoms, that is).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Like pp have said a lot has to do with your dr. My Dr starts checking around 36 weeks because I'm a scheduled c section and we don't want me to go into early labor.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers

DS-1/27/04 DS-11/5/12 MC-5/7/14 BFP: 5/27/14 

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"