November 2014 Moms

Weekly Check-In for Babies Born 11/17-11/23

Hi Mamas! For those of you that didn't see the age based check in poll, people seemed on board with the idea of a weekly place where they could check in and compare notes with other moms with babies in the same age range. This will take the place of our old ticker change check in's. Enjoy!

-Age (weeks + days..ie 3 weeks, 2 days)
-Sleeping
-Eating
-Milestones
-Questions
-AW

Re: Weekly Check-In for Babies Born 11/17-11/23

• Loading the player...
  • Try feeding from only one side in 3 hr increments to ensure he's getting hind milk.

• kstirton said:

Try feeding from only one side in 3 hr increments to ensure he's getting hind milk.

I try keeping him on one breast every feeding but he unlatches and latches so frequently on one breast (and I checked to see if I am leaking milk - none) I give up and switch to the other breast and he feeds for a while then does the unlatch/latch (estimate relatch attempts about 5-10 times before switching) and I keep latching him back on couple times until I give up and switch again. I switch breasts about 4 times during every feeding until he seems satisfied and I do massage/compression along with 5-10 relatching per breast per switch) I also put him back on the last breast that he fed from at the next feeding in hopes he'd get the hind.

During the blocked duct episode, I made sure he gets that breast first to help clear up the duct but now I'm putting him back on the other because the other leaks so bad. The left leaks like crazy, the right doesn't.

I will try the block feeding again and see how it helps. The unlatch/latch drives me bonkers but I'll persist! :smile:
  • @10xEmpire‌ Our growth spurt hit early yesterday morning at 3w 2 days. As for how long it lasts... he might be done because I've been able to put him down today and that was a no go yesterday.
  • @zengal I'll trade you boobs! The spraying and leaky is maddening. Also, so jealous and happy that the EC is going so well for you! I've been doing the "good poop/pee" at diaper changes this week and might try to be brave enough to grab a bowl next week... I'm still a little confused on how to hold Jackson to get him to pee in a bowl. Or how/when I'll be able to catch a poop since he tends to go mostly when nursing and not all at once.
  • kstirton said:

->She also has a HUGE tendency to suck, did right from the get go so we introduced the pacifier on day 2. My question is, does anyone else's lo want to suck and get fussy right after eating? this is a new thing that has been happening the past couple days and didn't happen previously - so I can't help but think it may be related to the crying. And what are ways you calm yourself when you can't seem to calm your LO??
    -AW, pic taken at 3 weeks, sorry it's sideways!!

I noticed that in G as well. What I've found out is that she is still hungry, so we switch to the other side and BF for 15-20 min or so. That helps her. I hope this helps and that your LO moves past the fussy stage quickly, I've been there, crying on the sofa just as hard as she was.

• Thank you! I'm always worried that she may still be hungry so I always wait until she's just not taking it anymore (it's obvious when she does she looks like a baby bird) :) Sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes before it starts happening. I've put her back on again and still had the fussiness. So - I don't know but I am really watching her cues to see if I think she's hungry again. It's so hard to tell with her :(

• kstirton said:

-Age 3 weeks and 2 days
    -Sleeping - she sleeps quite well in the night, but usually doesn't settle down for a long stint until 11-12 or so. Then she will sleep until 4 or so, wake up for a feeding and then sleep until 7 or so. I know I'm pretty lucky here! However, her daytime naps are decreasing dramatically and more crying has taken it's place ... :(
    -Eating - every 2-3 hours during the day. At night, every 3 1/2-4 hrs or so. A couple times she's slept from midnight until 6 and I've had to wake her up.
    -Milestones - nothing yet
    -Questions - These past couple days have been tough on me emotionally and physically. The crying has really increased. Yesterday she cried off and on from 11am until 11pm ... I had a few really good cries myself. I know to be colicky - they classify it as 3 hrs of crying, she doesn't do this in a row - rather I'll find something that soothes her for a short time, she may take a 30 min nap or so, and then she's back at it.

She also has a HUGE tendency to suck, did right from the get go so we introduced the pacifier on day 2. My question is, does anyone else's lo want to suck and get fussy right after eating? this is a new thing that has been happening the past couple days and didn't happen previously - so I can't help but think it may be related to the crying. And what are ways you calm yourself when you can't seem to calm your LO??

I'm sorry that your having a tough time and your LO is crying. We've had a little taste of that today. I've found that she is EXHAUSTED when it comes to that. Thank god it was Saturday so DH was home bc we kept alternating holding her..she would finally pass out in our arms for 10-20min and then wake back up..then cry..then nurse...then be content for 20-30min..then cry..repeat. Finally I was like she HAS to be over tired. DH rocked her upstairs in the rocking chair for 35-40min and she finally passed out. It's usually either that or she has gas/constipated. Baby yoga helped a lot with constipation/gas and the gas drops are great. Hugs to you!

IAmPregnant Ticker

First Met: March 13, 2009
    Married: September 13, 2012 
    BFP: March 4, 2014
    EDD: 11/25/2014 
    Three furbabies: Franklin (8) Amos (4) Sasha (2) 

• kstirton said:

Thank you! I'm always worried that she may still be hungry so I always wait until she's just not taking it anymore (it's obvious when she does she looks like a baby bird) :) Sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes before it starts happening. I've put her back on again and still had the fussiness. So - I don't know but I am really watching her cues to see if I think she's hungry again. It's so hard to tell with her :(

I think I remember amyg in the BFing thread mention that sometimes babies suck in response to any tummy troubles (not just hunger).
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!

• -Age -- 3w1d

-Sleeping -- decent! A few naps during the day. Our first child thought naps were for suckers. So this is amazing. And we get 2-3 hour stretches at night. Once in a while we get a 4 or 5 hour treat, too.

The bad news? As soon as we want to go to bed she can sense it and gets cranky. We are learning how to keep her settled.

-Eating -- she eats well most of the time. Sometimes she likes to yell at my boobs and the tubes taped to them. Can't blame her. I would like to do the same now and then. But the SNS is a life saver for us.

-Milestones- ??
    -Questions ??

-AW - saw our photo gallery for our newborn shoot. :) very happy.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• kstirton said:

-Questions - These past couple days have been tough on me emotionally and physically. The crying has really increased. Yesterday she cried off and on from 11am until 11pm ... I had a few really good cries myself. I know to be colicky - they classify it as 3 hrs of crying, she doesn't do this in a row - rather I'll find something that soothes her for a short time, she may take a 30 min nap or so, and then she's back at it.

She also has a HUGE tendency to suck, did right from the get go so we introduced the pacifier on day 2. My question is, does anyone else's lo want to suck and get fussy right after eating? this is a new thing that has been happening the past couple days and didn't happen previously - so I can't help but think it may be related to the crying. And what are ways you calm yourself when you can't seem to calm your LO??

DD started getting fussy after she was done eating around 2.5 wks. The LC told us that she has reflux, not to the point of being colicky though. We find that if she is fussy after she eats its because she needs to spit up or burp. She likes to be held in an upright position until she gets all the burps out. Sometimes there are quite a few and it can take a while to get out. She will usually stop fussing if we are holding her upright and patting her back. Another helpful tip with burping is to squeeze between her hips and ribs a few times alternating with patting her back. It really helps them get the burps out.

Hope you find a solution that works for you guys soon! 
    TTC since 11/13
    BFP 12/28/13 - M/C @ 6 wks
    BFP 3/14/2014 - EDD 11/19/2014 - Birthday 11/23/2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Age - 3w5d

Sleeping - not terrible. I think he's starting to sort out his days and nights. He still sleeps much better during the day but he's sleeping well in the evening and most of the night. He has a hard time settling after his early morning feed, though. This morning he was fussy starting at 4:30 am. I think he thought it was time to get up.

Eating - he's a little piggy! He can take up to 4 ounces every 2-3 hours.

Milestones - I'd like to think he's smiling at me but it's probably gas
  • Anyone else's lo constantly want to be held?! I feel like when I put her down she is fine for maybe 5 minutes... and then starts wailing. pick her up, start swaying a little... and she's fine. My back is about to break! She'll kind of start to doze off, but if you try and set her down before she's unconscious you are back to square one. I know you can't spoil a newborn, so I just try and do whatever it takes to stop the crying. It's exhausting ... am I alone here?

• kstirton said:

Anyone else's lo constantly want to be held?! I feel like when I put her down she is fine for maybe 5 minutes... and then starts wailing. pick her up, start swaying a little... and she's fine. My back is about to break! She'll kind of start to doze off, but if you try and set her down before she's unconscious you are back to square one. I know you can't spoil a newborn, so I just try and do whatever it takes to stop the crying. It's exhausting ... am I alone here?

I can't put him down for long if he's awake but, at least with my experience with DS1, that's pretty standard at this age. I just wear him when I have work to do and he's needing to be held.

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @kstirton‌ Yup! About 3-5 days ago LO stopped being okay with getting put down no matter how deeply asleep he is. I had one 1 hour stretch during the day on Friday, a 20 minute stretch today, but otherwise I only get 5-10 minutes :( It'd be easier if we'd figured out baby wearing but sadly that's still a challenge. Definitely tough...
  • @kstirton‌ @jkl6 @PineApple85‌ I know I don't belong in this thread but I have something you may try to put the LO down (I haven't tried it yet, but just got done googling) when we hold our babies they get used to the warmth so when we put them in a crib, pnp, or swing it's cold and the temperature change shocks them. I read we can put a blanket around a heating pad and place it in the crib and when we are ready to put them down take the heating pad out and cover the baby in the blanket with either swaddling or just covering them. It also said that you could put a blanket in the dryer and place it in the bottom of the crib too.
  • CarebellaCarebella member
    edited December 2014
    @oklahomamom09‌ everyone belongs in these threads ;-) that's how we can learn from those ahead of us and help those behind us!
    -Sleeping. Don't wanna jinx it, but she's a good sleeper. She usually sleeps all night with 3 and 4 hour stretches from 11pm to 9am on average.
    -Eating. We EBF on demand. She typically eats every 2 - 3 hours during the day.
    -Milestones: None really yet. Still a squishy newborn :) she tries and lifts her head a lot.
    -Questions.

Is anyone else's baby cross eyed sometimes?? Sometimes when she tries to focus on me her eye turns in.

-AW
    I'm so madly in love with this little girl! She is such a good baby that she gives me baby fever. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • @zengal, yup, I'm still tempted to burn my K'Tan in frustration. I've got the pouch part okay but I'm not sure if he is sitting right and when I pull up the outer loop I feel like we are both getting crushed. I bought the Small to start but according to the pictures it was too big and they say it's better to go smaller because it stretches. But now I can't help but wonder if the XS I did an exchange for is too small :(
  • I started out with the mai tai carrier from infantino (I think) and I'm getting the boba wrap tomorrow. I can't wait to try it! Wanting something that felt a little more secure and love the "pouch" affect of the boba and moby wraps. Hoping I can figure it out fairly quickly as LO loves being worn.

• @budzer originally I think the idea was one sequence of days checkin for each day of the week (@carebella brilliant idea) It seems like that went out the window when people started making check ins.
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • @carafern The first one that got started today I believe was correct. The second one... eh, I didn't want to ruffle any feathers so I just asked the OP if she could update to include the 8th since the plan didn't have it in exact weeks. I may try and post right away each day for the next week or so, LO permitting, to get things back on track...

And as much as I'd love to hog all the credit it was a team effort! I'd thought of it but hadn't mentioned it. So when someone asked about it I was all over a clicky poll :) Then the idea got fine tuned with the help of a couple of other mamas in the poll thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"