C-sections

Info on C-Sections

I was told after my 21 week ultrasound that I/my son had marginal insertion on the placenta. For those who do not know what that is, the jist of it is that the umbilical cord is inserted into the side, instead of the top of the placenta. Please, correct me if I am wrong because I do not understand. 
Anyways, my in laws both worked in the medical fields their whole lives, and they are suggesting that I schedule a C-Section to avoid any and all risks during labor. I have heard many positives, and negatives, but would just like to be informed on what exactly happens. Also, will I be able to hold my son directly after? Will this ruin all chances of ever delivering a child naturally? Will this leave a huge scar across my tummy? 
And please, the only replies I ever get are nasty. I'm asking for help, for advice, not to be treated like an idiot. 

Re: Info on C-Sections

• There are a lot of posts in which people share their experiences, but I'll share mine:

We arrived about 2 hours before the scheduled surgery for pre-op stuff. I was given some medicine to help with nausea, had a blood draw done, and waited. Once it was time, I was wheeled down to the OR, given the spinal, and lain down, at which point DH was then allowed to enter the room and sit by my head. DS was born about 10-15 minutes later.

Under normal circumstances, he would have been given to DH to hold right next to my head while I was sewn up, then he would have been taken to the nursery for a quick check-over while I was taken to recovery. We would be reunited in the recovery room and taken to the room we'd be staying in together. (This was not how it went for me: DS had a collapsed lung, despite being almost 10lbs and full term, so he was actually checked over and taken to NICU directly from the OR. I was able to see him for only a moment before they put him in the bassinet with O2. This was hard)

Recovery varies from person to person. The biggest recommendation is to understand you just had major surgery. Taken the pain medicine they offer and move around once you're able, just take care not to over exert yourself in the process. I'm not going to lie, the first time I stood up, it hurt. But the more I did it, the easier it became and within 3 days or so, I was able to function with only the occasional dose of OTC Tylenol.

To answer your specific questions:

Will I be able to hold my son directly after?
    In my experience, no. While your arms may not be completely numb, they may be compromised. You will give to hold him in recovery and DH should be able to hold him early on.

Will this ruin all chances of delivering a child naturally?
    Nope. VBACs are growing more and more mainstream. There are added risks due to the c-section, but many feel the risks are lower with a VBAC then with a repeat c-section for subsequent births. Your doctor will have more info on that, so don't be afraid to ask!

Will this leave a huge scar across my tummy?
    The scar is honestly barely visible after awhile. Mine is about 5-6 inches wide and very thin and it's not on your stomach. It's low, and will probably only ever be visible when you're naked. Even then "visible" is not quite the word. After almost 2 years since my second c-section, the scar is barely noticeable and I can really only see it because I know its there and where to look.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You do what you want don't let your inlaws scare you into a CS. Talk to your ob and do what you feel is right. I didn't get to hold either of my babies, first was emergency and the second was RCS, high risk but he was completely healthy, I had placenta previa. I couldn't hold him until he came back from the nursery when they weighted him and did all that stuff.

It depends on your dr and hospital, but you can go for a VBAC. My OB would do it an told me I was a perfect candidate but the hospital won't do it. They had to many lawsuits (83% were from patients not Drs)

My scar is maybe three inches long and hides behind my underwear, no ones sees it unless I show it, even in a swimsuit.

Everyone has diff experiences. My DH couldn't come in the OR until they had me open and they made him leave as soon as they pulled the baby out. The first time he didn't come in at all and the surgery and getting the baby out took all of 5 minutes, the second it took 17 minutes. I was also given something to help me sleep after the first as they were stitching me up. Recovery is also different the first one was hell and the second was better until about three weeks after and I started hurting bc I was starting to do more, like laundry, dishes, chasing a toddler, it was hard on my body.

Anyways talk to your DH and your OB they are your main support. Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all very much I appreciate it!!!
  • First, talk to your OB and see what she/he thinks about the situation. That said, my c-section was great. DD was breech.

--Showed up, waited in our room for go time, got all gowned up, got IV.
    --Then they took me to the OR alone. The anesthesiologist talked to me, asked some questions, inserted the spinal, and laid me down on the table. Everyone was really nice. I was not strapped down at all.
    --DH came in then and sat by my head. They had everything draped and then they started. Only took about 10 minutes or so?? Hard to say. I didn't feel anything other than mild tugging. 
    --DD was born! The doctor told us she was a girl (didn't know) and showed DH right away. He went with her (to the other side of the drape!) while she was weighed and wrapped up and then they brought her by my head. She stopped crying when she heard my voice. :) DH held her by my head for a while.
    --Took some pics with the baby while they started to finish the surgery. 
    --DH and the baby went back to the room while they finished with me. Didn't seem like it took super long.
    --I got to BF baby right away as soon as we returned to the room. 
    --My recovery was excellent. I didn't need nearly all of my pain meds and had to keep reminding myself not to pick up my toddlers right away. :)
    --the only issues I had were having to have my catheter re-inserted (boo!!!) b/c I couldn't pee at first. After another 24 hours or so with the cath I was back to normal. I also had nausea from the anesthesia for about the first 12 hours after the c-section, when back in our room. But, that wasn't that bad. I threw up the whole time during labor with the first 2 kids anyway so it balances out!

Good luck with your decision.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"