October 2013 Moms

What's your Christmas Eve traditions?

I know it's still early, but DH and I were talking about what we were going to do on Christmas Eve this year. My family never really had a tradition other then going to church. I think this year we're going to start a tradition of picking up chinese take out for dinner, going to the family church service, then coming home to watch Christmas movies and read the Night Before Christmas before bed. It sounds super cheesy but I'm really excited about it!

What's your tradition/what traditions are you starting this year?
Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
BabyFruit Ticker
Anniversary

Re: What's your Christmas Eve traditions?

• My parents always did 1 present to open on Christmas Eve before bath time and it is always pjs. H and I do that now plus we open our stockings. We will be reading Night Before Christmas before bed. I got a really nice, big, hard copy book. I think once DS gets a little older we will also go look at Christmas lights. This year we are doing Christmas with FIL and SMIL on CE because other wise we would have 3 places to go on Christmas Day and that is too much.
  • We go to my MILs house and eat a bunch if food and maybe watch a Christmas movie. Right now I just buy them new pajamas but as they get older I thjnk I might give them a box with a new movie, popcorn, candy, etc so we can make it a fun movie night.
    We really didn't have any traditions growing up so it's really important to me to make some for our family. I'll be stalking this thread looking for ideas to steal! :D
  • Loading the player...
  • We open 1 present and do the Feast of Seven Fishes for dinner. Then we go to midnight mass which is at 7PM. 
    November: Doing my own thing

• We are having my MIL over for Christmas Eve for brunch to eliminate one of our rounds on Christmas day.  Then, we will go to mass and my mother's.  I am working on a Christmas Eve box which includes pajamas for the three of us and im not sure what else yet.  SO excited!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Uh, we go to my aunt's house and eat cheese soup and ground bologna sandwiches. Well, everyone else eats them, I think they are f'ing disgusting. In fact, every year, I end up starving on the way home, and of course nothing is open. Putting a reminder in my calender to make sure the fridge is well-stocked for when I get home.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I host.  We have about 30 family and everyone brings a hearty appetizer to share.  I usually do a spiral ham and rolls/fixings to make sandwiches, swedish meatballs etc - some more filling stuff but we always have a huge range of things and tons of food.  We do a white elephant game/exchange that is pretty fun, especially when really funny things keep coming back year after year.  Then everyone leaves and DH and I fall into bed.  My mom used to host when we were kids and I took over when DH and I got married. 

• Divorced parents so Christmas Eve had always been my dads holiday with us. We do christmas with him in the afternoon then go to my grandmas house (his mom) and have a big Italian dinner.

I'm nervous because it always ends up being a late night and I have a disastrous kid when she's tired. My grandma has Alzheimer's and has been having issues "sundowning" and so we may move our dinner earlier, which I would love.
  • It will just be our little family. I have christmas pajamas the kids will get to open and wear that night. Dinner will consist of homemade buttermilk waffles. DH and I will also open one gift. Can't forget about putting out milk and cookies for Santa!
    Growing up, my dad always made waffles and we got to open one gift, so I'd like to keep that tradition alive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BMnatz11 said:
    It will just be our little family. I have christmas pajamas the kids will get to open and wear that night. Dinner will consist of homemade buttermilk waffles. DH and I will also open one gift. Can't forget about putting out milk and cookies for Santa! Growing up, my dad always made waffles and we got to open one gift, so I'd like to keep that tradition alive.
    As DS has gotten older, putting out cookies and milk is a must!  We (I) forgot one year in the crazy of the after party and it was horrible!

• divorced here too...usually do Christmas Eve with my mom and then dad the next day or after (depending upon when he comes in for the holiday)
    This year my dad is coming in on Christmas Eve and has ruined everything lol.  He wanted us to eat with him but my mom sent me a text saying no she isnt changing our holiday tradition for him and he should have asked.  Soooo instead of compromising I will only see my dad for a tad before he goes home on Christmas Day afternoon. 

I thought it got easier as you grew up?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • We go out to dinner at an Italian restaurant with my Dad's side of the family.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Not specifically Christmas Eve but we are having Willa pick out one ornament every year, and I was always allowed to open one gift on Eve, so I'm sure we will do that with her also.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• My parents always got us red pajamas that we opened on Christmas Eve, changed in to, and then we watched A Christmas Story until we all fell asleep. I've already bought some for LO, but they're black and grey. Because apparently you have to buy Christmas pjs in June.

#boo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"