February 2013 Moms
Options

WWYD (Possible Induction)

I know there are some strong feelings about induction here, so take it easy on me.  :-)

In an ideal world, I'd go up to the 40w+6d my OB would allow.  But with Christmas coming up, I decided I wanted to be induced at 40+1 if I didn't have the baby sooner.  I saw my OB today; the good news is I am between 3-4cm and she thinks there is no way I will make it past my due date.  The bad news is a two-parter: 1) she guesstimates the baby is already in the high 7lb/low 8lbs in weight, which I know is total guessing, and 2) if I were to be induced on the date I have currently scheduled, it would be with the doctor I really dislike since she is on call that day.  Like...I do not want her delivering my baby. 

I am worried now for two reasons: DS was 8lb3oz and I came thisclose to having a c-section because his head was too big to fit over my pubic bone.  He juuuuuust made it, by my sheer will I think.  So I am concerned that, with the baby possibly already being close to that size, it makes the likelihood of a c-section higher.  And if that's the case, I really, really don't want the "bad" doctor to do it.  I just do not trust her in the least and I haven't heard great things about her in the delivery room. 

I don't really know how to bring this up with my OB...I should have said something in the appointment but I usually don't process that fast.  It takes me a few to get collected and figure out what I think.  I know they will do a membrane sweep if I ask, but I know that doesn't always work and can be really uncomfortable..  I know my doc is on call next Monday, which would put me at 39+6 if I were able to be induced that day.  I know that if I go into labor on my own, there is still a possibility I will get the doc I don't like, which makes everything moot.

I'm just really confused as to what to do with the information I do have...I really don't want to go past the 17th or 18th with this baby, and I don't want a c-section if I can avoid it.  I'm trying to be reasonable, but reason is not in high supply right now.  WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD (Possible Induction)

• Options
    I agree with Kelly. I would asked to be induced at 39+6.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also remember that just because you are induced on a day doesn't mean baby comes that day. So that might help on which doc you would have.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options
    kelly321 said:
    I know this is not helpful, but it's totally your call. You know the risks of induction (higher chance of c/s, for example), but you also know the situation you're currently in, and I can understand why you would want to be induced earlier. Now, this is coming from someone who has never made it to her EDD and had 2 c/s without any preceding active labor, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think if I were in your situation I would asked to be induced at your next appt for the reasons you mentioned. I think asking to be induced at 39+6 is way different from asking to be induced at 37+0 or even 38+0 because you're sick of being pregnant.
    I was 3 cm dilated at 40 weeks, and my OB actually told me that since my body was already preparing for labor, I would not be at any higher risk of having a c-section if I was induced than if I went into labor naturally. So that might not be an issue for you. Considering that you're already dilating and Christmas is coming up, I would probably ask to be induced at 39+6 too. And I agree with Kelly, being induced then (or really, any time after 39 weeks) IMO is not a big deal. 
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    I don't think anything past 39 weeks is too early, as long as your body has made some progress.
  • Options
    RynleighRynleigh member
    edited December 2014
    I was induced with three of my four children. With my first, my water broke but contractions never started. With the twins, I was induced at 37w1d due to pre-eclampsia. My second child was my only "normal" labor without any pitocin or other induction methods. The only complicated delivery of them all was the delivery with the twins - because of the pre-e and because they were twins... 

All deliveries were vaginal. My first was the most painful of all of the labors - I used to associate that with being due to the pitocin, but now that I've also been induced with pitocin with my boys, I now know the pain with Aurielle was due to her being my first, not due to the induction - I was induced with the boys a whole three weeks early, and it was my least painful labor of all of them. My "normal" labor with Alyce was about 12 hours of "uncomfortable" labor before becoming painful, and once painful it was another 7 hours before delivery - so close to 20hrs total. My "induced" labor with Aurielle was about 14hrs from pitocin to delivery, and my "induced" labor with the boys was also about 14hrs from pitocin to delivery. Alyce was the only one of the kids to have a meconium movement during labor, Simon was the only one of the kids to experience decels during labor. Never any pressure to have a cesarean aside from being prepared for the elevated risk of emergency with the twins. 

Request more basic measures be taken first (Cervidil - not Cytotec - for ripening, then sweeping membranes, then breaking water) before resorting to stronger interventions like pitocin if you like.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    If you're already scheduled for 40+1, 39+6 is only 2 days sooner, not that big of a difference.  I'd ask for that so it can be with your doctor rather than the doctor you hate.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd absolutely go with the earlier date and better doc, especially if there is the remotest possibility that you might get c/s. Being anxious about your Dr Wong hello anything during labor at any time. Like Sagen said, it's only two days sooner.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Looks like I'm a little late to this discussion, but good luck!!  I would have definitely picked the date with my doctor of choice.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I was going to suggest checking out the bishop score thing too. But that feeling like you did everything you could always makes you feel better about whatever happens next. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up talking to three moms today at a toddler Christmas party I went to who have had experiences with my office and that doctor, and every single one said they would have done the exact same thing.  So I feel good about my decision.  :-)

• Options
    YAY! Last weekend before you get a new bay bay!

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"