Breastfeeding
Options

question on prepping older sibling

So I BF DS#1 for a short time. I had a lot of issues (I'm hoping because of bad advice I received early on) and had to stop after 2 months. Well DS will be 3 when when DS#2 arrives and he hasn't really be exposed to breastfeeding just due to the peopel we know with kids are all about his age, so he just wasn't around it.

Earlier this week he ran into my room while I was naked, pointed to my breasts and said "circles on them" meaning my nipples. DH and I amost died laughing, but I was wondering if you did anything to help your older child understand breastfeeding. I know he will be curious when the time comes (and probably jealous too), but didn't know if anyone had any advice on this topic.

TIA!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: question on prepping older sibling

• Options
    DD was 27 mo when DS was born. She never really asked about nursing. We just said DS only eats milk and that's how he eats. Her only interest was snuggling with us while nursing. Now she knows I'm rooted to the couch during that time and chooses then to ask for food or act out. Sigh...
  • Options
    I just had baby #2 and my DD1 is almost 3. She's never had any interest in babies or dolls before. Still doesn't but she likes her sister. I did nothing ahead of time to prepare her. Doubt she would even comprehend the idea... Once we were back home and she saw me BFing and asked what Baby was doing with my boobies I told her that mommy's boobies make baby milk for C. she drinks Big Girl milk frim a cup but babies can only have baby milk. She never questioned that.

The more I deal with things like that the more I find that 'less is more', meaning address very basic info, and don't worry about more unless they ask more. And even then, keep it basic and short...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I explained to her what breasts for and that is how baby eats. Now it's very funny if someone jokes about feeding something to DD2, DD1 gets very defensive and says "Sissy only drinks breastmilk and thats it!".
  • Options
    My DS is 3 and never thought much about it. I think we just told him that she eats mommy milk.  He calls my breasts meatballs and when dc was playfully asked what DD ate, he answered meatballs. They just thought he was being silly. Hehe

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD1 was nearly 5 when DD2 came along. She wasn't nursed either and I didn't do anything to prep her, because I wasn't even sure nursing would work out with DD2.

When we brought DD2 home from the hospital, after a little while it was time to feed her and I just told DD1 that her sister would be drinking milk from mommy's breast instead of from a bottle for awhile. She thought it was hilarious and looked a little shocked like I'd maybe lost my mind, but after a day of around the clock nursing she wasn't phased by it, and 18 months later it's routine around here now. I love that she's getting so much exposure to breastfeeding and I hope that it will stay in her memories when she has her own kids in 20 or 30 years :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"