Cloth Diapering
Options

NCDR- nursing in public

This probably belongs on the breastfeeding board, but I don't know them...

Can someone please give me very specific suggestions for how to nurse in public without flashing my nipples at strangers while I'm trying to get her to latch on? How exactly to position a blanket would be really helpful. If I cover from my shoulder over her head, I can't see to get her to latch (I'm uncoordinated and she roots around and bobs her head like a hyperactive chicken.) I'd pretty much have to throw a full sized blanket over my own head and cover us both, like a bad ghost costume, and that would be weirder than just whipping them out. I can get covered up once she's all settled, but I'm struggling with the nipple wrangling.

Philosophically, I'm pro breastfeeding openly wherever you want, and I admire women who are confident enough to do it. I believe "if you don't want to see it, stop looking" and I get pissed off when people sexualize something that's not sexual. When I see a woman nursing in public, I want to give her a high five and bring her a snack. But I'm a weenie

Re: NCDR- nursing in public

• Options
    Do you have an actual breastfeeding cover? I have an udder cover that has a piece of wiring (not sure if it;s actually wiring but I don't know what else to call it.) and It sticks out so I can peak in and latch her. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Or do it in a carrier. My favorite to nurse in was my ring sling. You can also use the tail to block any side shot of boob if you were concerned about that type of thing.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    It takes some practice, that's for sure. I'm in the same mindset as you in that I'm all for public BFing, but I get a little self-conscious about it.

Anywho, if you have someone with you, use them to help create a shield or help hold the blanket.

If you're alone, I've found that placing a blanket under my bra strap (to help hold it in place) and over the top of LO's head, but not over her face, helped cover enough to get her positioned. Then once latched, I moved the blanket to across my chest, just shy of her nose, leaving her head exposed. That way she doesn't get hot, but I feel covered enough.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm active on that board too, but they don't have as many fun NBR threads LOL. When NIP I like to be covered up for latching also (I'm sure that is a UO). Anyway, what I did though was got rid of my fancy nursing covers. I then took the aden&anais muslin blanket and double knotted two corners together to go over my head like a backwards cape just on the side she's feeding. I'm then able to see her enough to latch and she does the head bobbing too. It's less now that she's almost 3 months. I don't know why it's easier with the a&a to see her than the other covers, but it works and is one less thing to carry in my "isn't it obvious I'm a FTM?" diaper bag. HTH but curious to see the other answers too!
  • Options

Wear a nursing tank top. Pull shirt up, undo nursing tank. Tummy is covered, top of boob is covered, everything but the nipple is covered. And the baby's head will be blocking nipple shots.

Oh yeah, this is what I wear so when I do move the a&a after latching, I'm still covered up.
  • Options

Or do it in a carrier. My favorite to nurse in was my ring sling. You can also use the tail to block any side shot of boob if you were concerned about that type of thing.

Sorrynotsorry to threadjack but the nearest BW/CD store is an hour from where I live and learning how to nurse in the ergo or ring sling is the main reason I want to go! I'm not skilled enough to learn from YouTube.
  • Options
    It's very difficult for me to NIP without showing a lot, just because of the size of my boobs, but what I often do is just turn towards a wall or something while I get him latched, or have my H stand in front of me for a minute until we get settled. I don't bother with a blanket - it just makes things worse.

But honestly if you do it in front of a mirror you will see you really aren't showing that much at all. 

I also wear a nursing tank under a regular shirt. It helps a lot. Sometimes an infinity scarf too.
  • Options

IMO using a cover or blanket while you're latching tends to attract more attention. It's like waving a huge flag of 'NURSING OVER HERE!'

Yup.

And I do what @Brandiewine11‌ does and might turn toward a wall. But I don't care much
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I don't mind people knowing that I'm nursing. It's the whole "someone might see my nipple or the giant stretch marks on my boobs" factor that is my personal hang-up.

• Options

I don't mind people knowing that I'm nursing. It's the whole "someone might see my nipple or the giant stretch marks on my boobs" factor that is my personal hang-up.

This and the fact that I don't like a lot of skin showing under any circumstance. Like if I wear a tank top now, I have to wear capris, not shorts and I wear a tankini for the pool/beach. My mom said when I was in preschool, I'd cry and say "I'm naked" if she tried to put me in a tank top.
  • Options

This and the fact that I don't like a lot of skin showing under any circumstance. Like if I wear a tank top now, I have to wear capris, not shorts and I wear a tankini for the pool/beach. My mom said when I was in preschool, I'd cry and say "I'm naked" if she tried to put me in a tank top.
    Haha! If I wear a tank top now, I have to wear a cardigan over it.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Threadjacking again...I realize now I hadn't watched the ergo nursing youtubes, only the ring sling (I claim lack of sleep). I prefer the ergo and now that L has more head control, nursing in it seems doable via YouTube. CD board, you inspired me again!!! Thank you and TGIF!
  • Options

I had the opposite problem with my son- I had an extremely low supply that couldn't be fixed, so I was nursing mainly for cuddle time but mostly giving formula, so I would just give a bottle when we were out. I live in a very liberal area, and when I gave him a bottle in public I swear I thought people were going to spit on me. You would've thought I was shooting him up with heroin. I feel lucky to have the option this time.

On a related note- where do you like to get nursing tanks and shirts?

• Options
    I love the Target nursing tanks.
    Me too. They're not too expensive and fairly long.
  • Options
    esd said:

I always wear a nursing tank and just pull my shirt up slightly. You really can't see anything. I'm larger chested so I hold my breast up while nursing - if he pulls off, I just put a finger or 2 over my nipple until he relatches.

This is what I do. I also apply pressure to my nipple if she unlatches and I start spraying.
    TTC since 11/1/12
    BFP 1/2/13
    Ultrasound showed no heartbeat 2/14/13
    BFP 12/7/13
    EDD 8/18/14
    1st Beta 89, 2nd Beta 214
    Stick Baby Stick!!!
  • Options
    Target nursing tanks are great, but I think the Liz Lange nursing shirts aren't any more convenient to access than pulling up a regular shirt. My go-to for the colder weather is wearing the Target nursing tank under one of their Mossimo henleys or the Old Navy henleys. That way I have the option of opening the buttons or pulling up my shirt.
  • Options
    I liked nursing tanks because they covered my belly, but I agree with @DecafGrandeMocha that they're not much more convenient than pulling up a regular shirt. I eventually got tired of wearing nursing tanks all the time, so now I just pull up my shirt. One trick that works for me is to wear one of those stretchy, low support sports bras instead of a bra with more structure. I just pull the bra up when I pull up my shirt.

Good luck, @JNU76! I always felt like I was doing a juggling act when NIP.
  • Options
    I just wear a regular ribbed tank top. They're stretchy enough you can just pull them down at the neck.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love henleys for breastfeeding! i also agree that nursing while wearing is amazing! G2 is a master at nursing in the Tula. People always just assume she's sleeping (which can actually lead to really awkward interactions as people try to see her face...).
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"