October 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth Diaper Check In

How are things going everyone?

What is your fav diaper right now?

Have you transitioned out of NB? What is fitting or not fitting right?

Tip or new thing you learned CDing to share with us Moms?

GTKY: what is your Favorite childhood Holiday memory?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cloth Diaper Check In

• Options
    I'll play!

We just tried cloth for the first time this afternoon. The first one worked, second had a small leak, but I'm excited to at least start reducing the number of disposables we're using.

We tried a BumGenius Freetime and a 4.0. The 4.0 was less bulky, which I liked, but that's the one that leaked a bit too. I definitely need more time to decide what I prefer.

Since I'm totally new to this, we decided to go with OS diapers. LO is right around 10lb and just outgrew her disposable NB diapers, so I figured we'd give it a shot today. They look pretty big, but on the smallest snaps actually seemed a bit tight around her waist - is that how it should fit? Can I move it out just one snap around the waist or does it have to be the same on both sides? Leg holes seem to fit well with the Freetime, but were a little loose with the 4.0.

Seeing as we just started today, I'm in no place to offer any advice!

Favorite memory is putting up the tree with my mom every year while my dad was at work. We listen to the same holiday CD (The Roches) and talk about each ornament as we hung it.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    hecklethecklet member
    edited December 2014
    How are things going?
    Well I don't love the extra laundry routine and stuffing pockets... DS has yet to have a diaper rash and I also hate the smell and fit of disposables, so there's that!

I'm loving my SoftBums echos and kawaii pure and naturals

Yep, just making sure the legs and waist are nice and snug fitting to avoid leaks! No huge issues with fit so far

Cj's stick is awesome! Super easy to apply and yummy scent

GTKY: what is your Favorite childhood Holiday memory? Stockings! They were my favorite memory of Christmas with the family. We would open them first thing christmas morning.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Loving my cloth diapers! I used a disposable at my mom's today and hated the smell and feel. So weird.

My new penguin Blueberry is making me smile :) I also love the Harper print I snagged - English teacher nerd.
    My Kawaii NB fit her best though.

Transitioning now. Her legs are still skinny but she has a belly so I feel like we are in between a bit.

Hmmm loving my cloth wipes. It is easier for us to just wash it all than throwing out something separate.
    Love Cjs as @hecklet said.
    Love the cloth board on the bump to swap for used diapers.

At my grandmother's house everyone gathered 20+ people to open presents and eat and laugh and play. Fond memories of that :)

• Options
    How are things going everyone? Everything is going great. I was really worried about keeping up with the extra laundry once I went back to work. So far, so good.

What is your fav diaper right now? All of mine are bumgenius AIO and I love them. I have a couple of flips that are growing on me. I want to try new inserts for them. Any Any suggestions?

Have you transitioned out of NB? What is fitting or not fitting right? We were never really in newborn. I had a few lil Joeys that we haven't used in about 3 weeks.

Tip or new thing you learned CDing to share with us Moms? I've been doing the cold cycle no soap, hot cycle with soap, cold cycle no soap to finish. I've had no issues with staining or leaks/absorption so far.

Opening one present Christmas Eve and the huge party at my grandmothers.

Alexander Flynn ~ September 24, 2014

Untitled

• Options
    @MrsSarahRenee‌ yes,cloth wipes ftw!! I love using them. Disposable wipes just don't cut it.
  • Options

hecklet said:

@MrsSarahRenee‌ yes,cloth wipes ftw!! I love using them. Disposable wipes just don't cut it.

Agreed!
    Do you use water or add something else? We have been using Kissaluvs diapering potion but I don't know if it is necessary...

• Options
    How are things going everyone?   Pretty Well.  C seems to love her CDs and aside from getting time to assemble them (stuff and snap down) once they are dried, it hasn't been any added trouble.  

What is your fav diaper right now? BG Freestyle.  Great for overnights as they are so absorbent.  For day time, the pocket diapers that I can buy off of Zulily are working well and have the cutest prints!  C is currently in one that has cute flying dragons, rainbows, and castles on it.  

Have you transitioned out of NB? What is fitting or not fitting right?  Moved her out of the NB fitted and covers right before Thanksgiving.  Most AIOs fit, but I have to be sure to double check the leg gussets as she is skinny!

Tip or new thing you learned CDing to share with us Moms?  I am loving the Grandma Eli's butt ointment.  While she hasn't had any diaper rash, I put it on nightly to help prevent due to typically going 6 hours or so before her first change.  The ointment smells great.  

GTKY: what is your Favorite childhood Holiday memory?  Waking up early and getting to get my stocking.  While I had to wait on the rest of the family to wake up before presents were opened, stockings could be opened once that person woke up.  There was always a small toy or such to keep me busy until the rest of the family woke up (youngest by 6 years, so I was always up first).  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    @MrsSarahRenee‌ yep just water with the wipes for us!
  • Options
    How are things going everyone? Not as good as I hoped as she keeps leaking.

What is your fav diaper right now? Most of my collection is Fuzzibunz One Size Elite

Have you transitioned out of NB? What is fitting or not fitting right?  They fit her pretty much from birth.

Tip or new thing you learned CDing to share with us Moms? Change often with cloth.

GTKY: what is your Favorite childhood Holiday memory? Not sure.
    Bean - 02/19/12
    Burrito -  10/04/14
  • Options
    @Arctic_Seal‌ Where is it leaking? Is there not enough absorbency or is the fit not good? I haven't tried any FB yet.

• Options
    Yay! I was just wondering if there was a cloth diaper check in. I'm fairly new to the group. DD is 7 weeks old today :)

What is your fav diaper right now? We've pretty much only used prefolds and I love them. I have GMDs and some generic Indian prefolds from Nickis Diapers. I love the Thirsties Duos for covers.

Have you transitioned out of NB? Long ago. We started CDing at 2 weeks old. by then she was out of NB in a matter of days.

What is fitting or not fitting right? GMD small prefolds still barely fit. I have lots of OS pockets, but I have all kinds of leaks with them. I'm thinking bad fit.

Tip or new thing you learned CDing to share with us Moms? Don't be afraid of CDing! It's really not hard...and it's such a good feeling saving all that money!

GTKY: what is your Favorite childhood Holiday memory? Christmas at my grandmas. My dad is one of 11 and all of his brothers and sisters and all of their kids would squeeze into my grandma's little house. Wall to wall people! I loved it. You had to find creative places to sit and eat. One yet my cousin at in the bathtub. My favorite place was always the stairs or under the kitchen table :)
  • Options
    @Arctic_Seal‌ Where is it leaking? Is there not enough absorbency or is the fit not good? I haven't tried any FB yet. 

This is my second kid cloth diapering and I know they don't have a ton of absorbency (as in they MUST be changed every 2 hrs) but they are definitely trim which I like.   They leak only pee out the sides and bottom.   I think it may be a bit of a fit issue and a bit of an absorbency issue as I am still in the small liners for the most part.   They come with small and a medium/large size liners.   

Also, I do have the generation prior to the current generation of the FB OS Elite.
    Bean - 02/19/12
    Burrito -  10/04/14
  • Options

This is my second kid cloth diapering and I know they don't have a ton of absorbency (as in they MUST be changed every 2 hrs) but they are definitely trim which I like.   They leak only pee out the sides and bottom.   I think it may be a bit of a fit issue and a bit of an absorbency issue as I am still in the small liners for the most part.   They come with small and a medium/large size liners.   

Also, I do have the generation prior to the current generation of the FB OS Elite.

Just wondering I think my LO just outgrew the absorbency of newborn but her damn skinny legs don't really fit one size yet. She is so tall though so it is making finding a good fit tough.

Anyway - good luck!

• Options

For those CD overnight, what are you using and does LO get extra cold due to the diaper being wet for a long period of time?

I haven't found something I love but she is up every three or four hours so I change her during the night fairly frequently.

• Options
    Going well now that I've learned how to stuff inserts for a boy! I also needed to move up to the regular sized insert, the infant one was soaked in half an hour.

Using BG 4.0s, I used them with my DD, just starting when she was a bit older. My little guy is pretty big so I started about 2 weeks ago with my 4.0s. They fit him well but he's a chunk!

Tip: cloth wipes are the best! I keep mine dry then wet as needed with a solution of water, a few drops of baby's soap and a few drops of baby oil. The soap helps clean up messes a little better, my flannel wipes feel weird with just water, and the oil keeps everything soft and smooth. I want to switch to n EE since I know more about them now.

Maybe that BBB will accept one coupon per diaper? $5 of each made for a great deal on some new diapers!

Favorite ones- there are so many more good AIOs now vs 4 years ago, but I don't a mixup of brands so I've stuck with BGs. They fit perfectly on my DD from 10- ish weeks to over 2.5 years, and they still look fantastic. Why change?

I have lots of happy memories of Christmas, one of my favorite things is decorating the tree. I get so sappy and emo at Christmas..
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • Options
    hecklethecklet member
    edited December 2014
    hippohat said:

Going well now that I've learned how to stuff inserts for a boy! I also needed to move up to the regular sized insert, the infant one was soaked in half an hour.

Using BG 4.0s, I used them with my DD, just starting when she was a bit older. My little guy is pretty big so I started about 2 weeks ago with my 4.0s. They fit him well but he's a chunk!

Tip: cloth wipes are the best! I keep mine dry then wet as needed with a solution of water, a few drops of baby's soap and a few drops of baby oil. The soap helps clean up messes a little better, my flannel wipes feel weird with just water, and the oil keeps everything soft and smooth. I want to switch to n EE since I know more about them now.

Maybe that BBB will accept one coupon per diaper? $5 of each made for a great deal on some new diapers!

Favorite ones- there are so many more good AIOs now vs 4 years ago, but I don't a mixup of brands so I've stuck with BGs. They fit perfectly on my DD from 10- ish weeks to over 2.5 years, and they still look fantastic. Why change?

I have lots of happy memories of Christmas, one of my favorite things is decorating the tree. I get so sappy and emo at Christmas..

@hippohat‌ What do you do differently for inserts for a boy? More absorbency up front ?

• Options

For those CD overnight, what are you using and does LO get extra cold due to the diaper being wet for a long period of time?

I haven't found something I love but she is up every three or four hours so I change her during the night fairly frequently.
    I haven't had problems with LO getting cold, he really only gets upset if there is a leak and his Jammies and onesie get wet. I really like my SoftBums at night. I have lots of fitteds with covers for when LO is older and sleeping for longer stretches.
    @MrsCunningham22‌ If you are worried about LO feeling cold- a fleece liner wicks away any moisture from the baby and would be s good (simple) option to try.

• Options
    hecklet said:

I haven't had problems with LO getting cold, he really only gets upset if there is a leak and his Jammies and onesie get wet. I really like my SoftBums at night. I have lots of fitteds with covers for when LO is older and sleeping for longer stretches.
    @MrsCunningham22‌ If you are worried about LO feeling cold- a fleece liner wicks away any moisture from the baby and would be s good (simple) option to try.

We've started using a small workhorse fitted with Disana wool pull on. Took the wool plunge and love it! Sometimes I add a doubler but not always. LO is never cold, I put him in a long sleeved shirt and socks and all is well. I'd recommend it if you're up for the (potentially) new world of wool!
  • Options
    Hi! I've been popping up here and there on the cloth board but didn't realize O14 had a check in either! Or maybe I did but forgot due to sleep bumping...

All is going well here. We use flats and fitteds with covers and have a few sunbabys in the mix that I stuff with flats or 2 thirsties fab doublers. So far no leaks except when we go too long between changes, and that's my fault not the diapers :) I need to get a pail and liner though, our large bags fill up quickly!

Loving my Disana wool cover for nighttime right now, over a workhorse. Helps that it's blue, my favorite color! I've just started using the one size pockets and the prints are fun (our newborn covers were all solids).

We are halfway out of newborn. OS covers are fitting and nb are almost too small so getting lucky with fit so far. Sunbabys leg snaps get really small so I'm actually pretty happy with them so far.

Im so new to this so no tips but I agree cloth wipes for sure. I changed one diaper with disposables and I felt like I needed 3-4, with cloth I rarely use more than 1!

GTKY: Favorite holiday memory is probably skiing with my family. We've done it around this time since I was 3 or so, always so fun!

PS, does anyone have experience with bigger size workhorses? When LO starts pushing the limits of smalls I'm curious whether a jump to large for night would be too extreme. Any advice?
  • Options
    Not great. I am a bad CDer. She sort of grew out of her NB prefolds a couple weeks ago and I haven't broken out her all in ones yet.
    Currently using Pampers Swaddles... 

I really liked the OsoCozy better fit prefolds. I use the regular fit as burp cloths. Her little belly is too big for the NB size now. Since I got a variety of types, I have all in ones that I need to bust out. As I said, I think I suck at this CDing thing since apparently I am lazy.

Following

I used to love to go to the livingroom when I was a kid and watch the twikle lights when I woke up in the middle of the night. Last year this time, I recalled that memory when I found myself doing that very same thing again. Christmas is such a magical time. I hope my daughter grows up to love it.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    @TheOtherJacobsons‌ Do You just need a routine and to find a way to make it easy? If it wasn't easy on me, I know I wouldn't do it. Don't give up if it is important to you! And if it isn't important, focus your energy and mom guilt on something else. ;)

• Options
    @hh94 I was wondering the same thing about larger workhorses... NB seem to get a lot of love on the CD board but I don't see much about other sizes...

I think I need larger prefolds. Anyone doing anything to make the NB prefolds last longer? (Adding a doubler or insert?)

• Options
    SaraML13 said:

I CD overnight and just do the same as during the day: small prefolds and Thirsties covers. DS pretty consistently sleeps for a 6 hour stretch, so I don't feel like wet diapers are waking him up. He sleeps on a swaddle over either footed pjs or a long sleeve onsie.

Regarding stuffing pockets, I have some BG 4.0 pockets that I haven't started using yet. They came with both a newborn insert and a larger insert that can be snapped to different lengths. Can I use the larger insert snapped down to the shortest length with the diaper snapped down to the shortest rise? Or can I only use the newborn insert with the shortest rise?

We just started CD, so I'm no expert, but I tried using the NB insert twice with the 4.0 and my LO leaked out of them both times. We also have a couple of Freetimes and those worked well, so I just stuffed the 4.0 with the thicker insert on the smallest rise. It seems to fit, but I haven't actually tried using it yet.

Just realized this post may not be at a helpful...
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    @TheOtherJacobsons‌ Do You just need a routine and to find a way to make it easy? If it wasn't easy on me, I know I wouldn't do it. Don't give up if it is important to you! And if it isn't important, focus your energy and mom guilt on something else. ;)
    I was pretty good from 6 weeks until about 2 weeks ago. I finally got the hang of folding the prefolds and got to enjoy it. Even did CDing out of the house when travelling. It's not that it's not easy. This thread actually got my butt in gear, I am washing a couple of all-in-ones to try it out. If It doesn't work out, I am probably going to consider selling my stash. I didn't open any of the all in ones and I think I have something like 15 - 20 of them. 

• Options

I was pretty good from 6 weeks until about 2 weeks ago. I finally got the hang of folding the prefolds and got to enjoy it. Even did CDing out of the house when travelling. It's not that it's not easy. This thread actually got my butt in gear, I am washing a couple of all-in-ones to try it out. If It doesn't work out, I am probably going to consider selling my stash. I didn't open any of the all in ones and I think I have something like 15 - 20 of them. 
    If you decide to go the disposable route:
    If you have any medium prefolds I would like to buy them from you. Also if you are looking to sell your covers. But I hope you continue CDing if you are so inclined :)

Sames but I like AIOs!

• Options
    Yup. I have the regular insert folded down to the smaller size - with DD I put the fold in the back, with DS it needs to go in the front.
     image image
  • Options
    The newborn insert is pretty much useless alone for me, many people use it as a doubler when they're bigger. It's bulky, but I have the regular insert buttoned down with the rise on the middle setting - DSs chunker thighs need the extra room :)
     image image
  • Options
    Ok, can someone please help? What's the deal with wool? What's a workhorse? And what do the little knitted pants do? I'm clueless on night diapers, I never found a good routine with DD. Is there a site with a good overview? I feel like an idiot on my local cloth BST.
     image image
  • Options
    hippohat said:

Ok, can someone please help? What's the deal with wool? What's a workhorse? And what do the little knitted pants do? I'm clueless on night diapers, I never found a good routine with DD. Is there a site with a good overview? I feel like an idiot on my local cloth BST.

Workhorse is a fitted diaper from green mountain diapers. I liked the newborn ones a lot. No reviews on any other sizes yet.
    No clue on your wool questions sorry!

• Options
    CDing is going ok. We only do it the evening and weekends since we don't have a big stash yet. But just ordered 4 pockets and an AIO, should be here next week.

I'm liking my BG FT, Nicki's pocket. Trying fst today.

No tips, yet. Just keep going!

GTKY: I loved Christmas tree hunting before my parents split.

@TheOtherJacobsons‌, just one diaper at a time. You can do it!
  • Options
    hippohat said:

Green Mountain Diapers has a lot of info on their site. Click around the wool products for an explanation. That site is where you'll find the workhorses as well as the "GMD prefolds" you hear about!
  • Options

I usually put DD in either a fitted or a larger sized prefold with a stay dry liner and a bunch of CJs Butter slathered on. I haven't had any issues with leaks (knock on wood!). The longest stretch she's slept so far is about 7.5 hours. She also runs VERY warm, so I haven't noticed her getting cold :)
  • Options
    courtney8806courtney8806 member
    edited December 2014
    hippohat said:
    I only have one wool cover, but I'll tell you what I know. Wool is supposed to be naturally resistant to liquid and bacteria, so it rarely leaks and doesn't get stinky. It sounds gross, but if you use them for nighttime covers, you only have to wash them about once a month or so (unless they get poop on them). You reapply lanolin to them as needed to keep them waterproof and then just let them dry between uses. I've only used mine a couple of times because DD still wakes up pretty often throughout the night, but I think it'll be a really good option when she STTN and is pooping less.
    As PP said, the Green Mountain Diapers website has a lot of great CD info, but mostly about prefolds, flats, and fitteds. Here is a link to the definitions of different types of diapers: https://www.nickisdiapers.com/diaper-definitions.html
    Also, if you search Pinterest for cloth diaper 101 or cloth diapers for beginners, there are a lot of great blog posts explaining them. There are so many options is can definitely be overwhelming!
  • Options
    Btw, I just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone is interested:

I have: 12 One-size WAHM-brand pocket diapers in solid gender neutral colors with snaps. Each comes with a microfiber/charcoal insert. Each has been used once, some maybe 2-3 times. A few have light EBF staining...I haven't tried to sun yet. Here is the listing from the mom who makes them: https://www.etsy.com/listing/157564804/cloth-diapers-one-size-fits-from-newborn?

We just really prefer to use prefolds, so I figured I would go ahead and de-sash these. I'm looking to sell the lot for around $75. :)
  • Options
    I have 12 Kissa's Hybrid Countour diapers to sell: (New in packaging)

$35 ea + shipping
    $65 + shipping

or $135 + shipping for all of them. 

I purchased a variety, but these don't make sense to have if I have the AIOs. 

I am only asking what I paid for them. PM me if you are interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"