September 2012 Moms

Wacky Wednesday

124»

Re: Wacky Wednesday

• So I'm eating some leftovers MIL sent over. Is putting sugar on corn a thing? There is definitely sugar in this corn.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • So I'm eating some leftovers MIL sent over. Is putting sugar on corn a thing? There is definitely sugar in this corn.
    Lol maybe she was trying to make kettle corn :-/
  • Loading the player...

Some of my Southern relatives do it. I think its gross. Also, lol at your MIL finding yet another way to sneak sugar into things. That's crazy!

I have many Hispanic students in class and recently a little girl brought corn (cold, obviously bc it was in her lunch box) as her morning snack....with cayenne pepper sprinkled in it!

I swear, I got heart burn just looking at it. 
    :-&
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I have many Hispanic students in class and recently a little girl brought corn (cold, obviously bc it was in her lunch box) as her morning snack....with cayenne pepper sprinkled in it!

I swear, I got heart burn just looking at it. 
    :-&
    My college sweetheart was a Southsider, and we ate a ridiculous amount of street vendor corn with mayo, parmesan and cayenne. Pregnant me would say no way, but early 20s me loved it!
  • I think I need to talk to my MW/OB office. I had a complete meltdown today in reference to buying this car. I was so set on it. Then my sister is giving me solid advice and so was DH. So then I wasn't so sure anymore. This is the first day I've even thought of buying the car so It's totally spur of the moment and I have time. But I just broke down crying. Really over nothing. I killed my phone because I woke up late and didn't get to put the case on. $200 to replace it. That's my deductible. Crazy. I've cried all the way home and pretty much the entire evening. 

I cried yesterday when I had to cancel my u/s appt and couldn't grocery shop. I cried because I burned the bacon. I did the same thing Sunday morning. Then DD gave me coffee and not a hot chocolate and I couldn't have all that caffeine. We went to get our Christmas tree and I was crying on the way out. 

This is getting ridiculous. I'm crying daily or every other day. It hasn't been this bad the whole pregnancy. It has been progressive I think over the last month or so. I feel like a basket case. I feel completely crazy. DH has no idea what to do. He hates when I cry and all I do is cry now. It's really stressing me out. I'm sure he has no idea what he is going to come home to every day. 

They may say it's just normal pregnancy hormones and need to wait it out but I am really tired of feeling crazy. It's really not fair to my family. 
  • @redneckmomma25‌ I am mobile so can't see your siggy. How far along are you?

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Hyaline said:
    Old school etiquette rule that I find myself following because I work with both PhDs and non PhD instructors--it is NEVER wrong to say Mr. or Ms.  Even for Senators, doctors, etc.  So if you think you might fuck up, just fall back on Mr.  If you can pull out Senator and Representative, go for it, but don't beat yourself up if you use Mr. on either of them.
    Wrong. Doctors get pissed as all get out if you call them Mr instead of Dr. I have also had this happen with a judge- he was pretty pissed that I called him Mr. I was always told to address them by their title, and let them decide if they wanted me to address them differently."Nice to meet you Senator Bigbucks." "Nice to meet you IV, you can call me Bob." 
    That reminds me of the clip of the Senator yelling at a General for calling her Ms. instead of Senator, but she calls him Mr... I always err on the side of more formal because you'll never offend someone by using their title, and like IV said, they can always tell you that something less formal is fine.
    Yeah, the doctors may get pissed, but they're in the wrong, etiquette-wise.  And it tell me, instantly, that they think more of themselves than they ought to.

As I said, go for the title as long as it doesn't screw you up.  But if you slip and say "Mr." you're not wrong to address anyone that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BPerBPer member
    edited December 2014
    We just had to decide employee Christmas bonuses. 

What was proposed was that an engineer who has been here 90 days and hasn't worked overtime once should get the same bonus as our kickass employees of 8 years who worked countless weekends, all-nighters, and did a ton of travel. 

Yah, no. 
    We found out this week that H's cousin gets double H & BIL's Christmas bonus to "even out" their total yearly income.

H's cousin has no title at the dealership, sleeps in his office which is open to the showroom, comes in at 10am, leaves by 4, and never works Saturdays.

Meanwhile H, & BIL work until 8 3 nights a week, 6pm is an "early night", and they get 6 Saturdays off a year.

Pretty fucked up.

• melody921melody921 member
    edited December 2014
    melody921 said:

What was proposed was that an engineer who has been here 90 days and hasn't worked overtime once should get the same bonus as our kickass employees of 8 years who worked countless weekends, all-nighters, and did a ton of travel. 

Yah, no. 
    There are companies that still give Christmas bonuses? I'm envisioning Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when he gets the jelly of the month club certificate.
    We do $1k minimum, up to $3k this year because things are tight.

I think a smaller Christmas bonus and then some incremental treats and merit-based rewards throughout the year are far more appreciated, with a much greater positive effect on morale.  And I have learned that if you have a bad year and cannot give as much for Christmas bonuses, people get really disgruntled.  There's no such thing as giving extra one year and back to normal the next; employees view the extra as the new normal and damn if you don't give it to them the next year. 

If you give $1k bonus and spread the other $2k out as merit-based rewards throughout the year, it is easier to cut back in a bad year without employees getting disgruntled.  Anyway, old school cronies just don't see it.  I've heard way too many whiny complaints over a $3k bonus "being $200 less than last year" - these bonuses become expected, or worse..... counted on (by those with budgeting/financial problems).  Nobody looks at them as a gift from us, some don't even say thank you.  The thousands of dollars in bonuses is literally money out of my pocket, so a thank you would be really fucking nice. 
    I have never gotten a Christmas bonus in my life, so I'd be happy with $100. I'd be ecstatic if I got $1k. WTF is the matter with people? It's a bonus, not a given!

ETA: Why is the bonus $ coming out of your pocket @tinyhumantoe?

• Independent rep calls me 5-10 times a day.  I sent him an email last night explaining we can schedule a call for Friday.

He calls anyway at 10am.  10:30.  Again at 11am, is told I'm in a meeting, I ask if it is urgent since he keeps calling.  It's not.   Receptionist explains we have a meeting with congressmen after and I will have to call after.  He calls at noon. 

I want to ask him what he was having difficulty understanding.  Surely it's not acceptable to call anyone like this.  Instead I'll bite my tongue and close the relationship gracefully (something I didn't really have the balls to do, but I can' t live like this!!!).  He just fucked himself so hard, I hope it was worth it. 
    I had someone do this to me (she still is kind of doing it). We have a contract with her that runs out the end of March. She has been hounding me for the past two months to renew before year end to get the "discounted rate." I told her we were not in a position to renew three months before our contract is up, and she can either give the discounted rate to us later since we're already clients or else we'll be shopping around. She didn't bend, I told her I'd be looking into other options. She will call me three times in one day, never leave a message, but I know her number, then follow up with an email that says "I tried to call you. Can we schedule a time to talk?" WTF. She has used up all my patience at this point bc she doesn't listen. I pretty much told her don't ever call me again, I'll call you.

• BPer said:

Yah, no. 
    We found out this week that H's cousin gets double H & BIL's Christmas bonus to "even out" their total yearly income.

H's cousin has no title at the dealership, sleeps in his office which is open to the showroom, comes in at 10am, leaves by 4, and never works Saturdays.

Meanwhile H, & BIL work until 8 3 nights a week, 6pm is an "early night", and they get 6 Saturdays off a year.

Pretty fucked up.
    AHHHH that is aggravating!  What the F!  Your inlaws do that?

• melody921 said:

I have never gotten a Christmas bonus in my life, so I'd be happy with $100. I'd be ecstatic if I got $1k. WTF is the matter with people? It's a bonus, not a given!

I am a shareholder, so any $ we give in bonuses is out of the shareholders' pockets (it decreases my annual dividend).  Don't get me wrong, I want to share with the employees.  I just don't agree that throwing the whole wad at them at Christmas is the best way to do it.

If someone got a $20k bonus one year, and $18k the next year, they would be disappointed at the $18k.  And they're often told that it's because the company didn't have as good of a year.  So then they'll spend the next year criticizing anything the company spends money on that they don't see as necessary and concerning themselves with things that are none of their business (other people's salaries, etc.).

I also have a rule of don't give a bonus you can't reasonably give every year regardless of how good/bad business was.  Half of our workers spent that money on Christmas presents for their families based on the fact that they got it the past few years.  So if you don't give it one year... they are in a bind and it affects their work. 

I say give a consistent Christmas gift, then distribute the rest of the money as merit-based bonuses throughout the year.  It has a much greater affect on worth ethic and morale. 

Anyway, my hill to die on. 

• danabsddanabsd member
    edited December 2014

It's a 2008 Infiniti M35X. 90k miles on it. All wheel drive. White. It's beautiful. 

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but my dad has the hybrid version of the same car. The back seat is really really small. I would make sure you can get 2 car seats in there and drive before you make any decisions. :-S

• danabsd said:
    It's a 2008 Infiniti M35X. 90k miles on it. All wheel drive. White. It's beautiful. 
    I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but my dad has the hybrid version of the same car. The back seat is really really small. I would make sure you can get 2 car seats in there and drive before you make any decisions. :-S
    The back seat is way bigger than my jeep seat. maybe not as wide. No final decisions have been made yet anyway. 

@tinyhumantoe I'm 23 weeks today. 
  • melody921 said:

melody921 said:

Yah, no. 

There are companies that still give Christmas bonuses? I'm envisioning Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when he gets the jelly of the month club certificate.

I think a smaller Christmas bonus and then some incremental treats and merit-based rewards throughout the year are far more appreciated, with a much greater positive effect on morale.  And I have learned that if you have a bad year and cannot give as much for Christmas bonuses, people get really disgruntled.  There's no such thing as giving extra one year and back to normal the next; employees view the extra as the new normal and damn if you don't give it to them the next year. 

If you give $1k bonus and spread the other $2k out as merit-based rewards throughout the year, it is easier to cut back in a bad year without employees getting disgruntled.  Anyway, old school cronies just don't see it.  I've heard way too many whiny complaints over a $3k bonus "being $200 less than last year" - these bonuses become expected, or worse..... counted on (by those with budgeting/financial problems).  Nobody looks at them as a gift from us, some don't even say thank you.  The thousands of dollars in bonuses is literally money out of my pocket, so a thank you would be really fucking nice. 

My company used to give us $20 Ralphs (Grocery) gift cards. lol.

• danabsd said:
    melody921 said:

Yah, no. 

My company used to give us $20 Ralphs (Grocery) gift cards. lol.
    The first company I worked for out of college gave us all a reusable grocery tote bag. It got a hole in it about a week later. The next year, we got mini flashlights that broke. The year after that, a cheap travel coffee mug that was too wide at the base to fit in the cup holder of a car. I'd rather get nothing than something POS.

• melody921 said:

Yah, no. 

DH's company includes performance based bonuses as part of their salary forecasting, it is expected everyone could max out. They also do quarterly performance bonuses too to keep the incentive within reach as it is only a few months away at most. The company profit sharing bonus is the one that is not included in the yearly budget and is determined at the end of the year. It is small compared to the personal performance bonus. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• @hmp1 We made a decision to do $1k bonuses all around, $500 for anyone who has been her under 6 mon. 

Then we are doing a profit sharing bonus (merit-based, i.e. not everyone gets the same amt) after we have our final end of year.  I still think it is more effective to spread compensation across the year like your H's job does.  We don't really have anyone whose incomes are partially performance based so maybe it wouldn't work well.

Oh well, I won a small battle, maybe I can work on refining next year.

• melody921 said:

Yah, no. 
    The last few years I've gotten a bonus. Last year it was an extra paycheck. Two years ago I unexpectedly got paid my whole maternity leave. I love my place of employment!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"