Formula Feeding
Options

Switch to WCM

Our LO just turned 1 and we are struggling to get off formula. He is a horrible solids eater, so I am hesitant to transition him to WCM completely, because he gets so little nutrition from solids. His ped was OK with us using toddler formula until we get him eating solids more consistently. Any moms have any ideas on how to get him off of formula and eating solids better. We have already decreased his amount at feedings drastically in hopes it would make him more hungry at mealtimes, but that hasn't helped much at all.

Also, he is still getting up 2-3 times/night to eat. Comforting doesn't do anything and he would cry all night if we let him CIO. He won't go back to sleep unless he eats. We have cut his MOTN bottles down to 2 oz, but anything less and he is up about an hour later, hungry again. Any advice for getting him to STTN would be amazing, too. Thanks!

Re: Switch to WCM

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Are you offering solids before or after formula? I had my DD1 in Switzerland and found their recs on how to introduce solids to be quite different from US ones. Personally i liked that and plan on using those guidelines with this baby...
    To the point - they consider solids to be an important part of a baby's diet, not just play time, and solid meals (amounts, types of food and number of solid meals are obviously age appropriate) are offered before breast/bottle... I found that DD being actually hungry made her eat her solids better.

But overall I wouldn't stress about the transition too too much. It will happen, just keep trying and your LO will switch slowly. Also there is nothing bad about toddler formula (other than comparative cost I guess) so if your LO will take it, keep giving it to him. My sister was giving her son toddler formula till he was 2 I think. I was eye rolling at that but it worked for them so who cares...
  • Options
    @harmonicbabe26‌ yes, we always offer solids when he is acting hungry. He almost always refuses and throws a fit until we give him a bottle. At that point, I give him 1-2 oz and then try eating solids again.

@tricia560‌ thanks for your response! We have tried watering down what he gets at night, but he will wake about an hour or so later hungry again. I think he is truly hungry, and like you said, I'm sure it will get better once he starts eating better during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"