High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

overweight and high risk

This is my first pregnancy and I'm very nervous. Doctor put me on high risk because of my weight. Im 280 5'8. Im 18 weeks and just wondering if any other mommas have experience with overweight pregnancy. Doc said she'd be ok with me losing weight but does that mean I diet? She also said because of my weight I may have to have a c section? I don't want that does anyone k
now why?

Answers

• Options
    I am 5'1" and was 175 when I got pregnant. My dr never said anything to me about my weight being a factor.

I lost about 5 -7 lbs in the first 11 wks thanks to ms. Then around 24 wks I was diagnosed with GD and went on a low carb diet. I am only up about 7lbs from my start weight and I am now 33wks. So there is healthy ways to keep from gaining too much weight.

I don't know why they would want you to do an c section though. I've never heard of Drs wanting to c section a person before due to weight.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    ^ what she said! The GD diet is amazing. I gained a total of 8 lbs with each of my previous pregnancies. I started at 204 lbs and 5'6" tall. This time I started at 194 and I'm pretty much maintaining. LOTS of protein, count your carbs (don't go over 45 of carbs for meals or snacks), eat every 2-3 hours. :) Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *lurking*

I'm overweight ( 5ft 2, 250lbs) and my first pregnancy was completely healthy, even with a thyroid disorder. While being overweight can put you at *risk* for complications it does not mean you will have any issues at all. I think classifying plus size women as high risk is bullshit. If you aren't having any issues then you shouldn't be high risk.

I also find it odd that your doctor would encourage weight loss during pregnancy. While its completely normal for heavier women to lose weight during pregnancy, its not something that is normally suggested you do. It's not suggested you "diet" either, unless there is a reason (like GD.)

Being overweight is not in and of itself a reason for a csection. Your overall size (whether small or large) can really determine how well you can birth a baby.

I'd honestly suggest finding a doctor that won't classify you as high risk simply because of your weight. It sounds like with the particular doctor you have you are going to be in for fight regarding your birthing decisions. They already have placed you into a box, and its gonna probably be hard to get out of said box.

Oh, also I'll add I'm 31 weeks in my second pregnancy and its been healthy other than my thyroid being an asshole.
  • Options
    I have heard of women having trouble giving birth when they are over weight. Maybe there's a new guideline that they automatically schedule a c section? You should ask your doctor to give you more information.
    I'm just over 5'6 and my pre pregnancy weight was 160. Before Obamacare that was considered a normal weight now it's considered obese. My doctor advised me to only gain between 15-25lbs. I've already gained 30 and I'm 6 months.
  • Options
    I'm over weight. 6ft 2 and 280lbs. I was put on high risk and tested for genistatial diabeties (crap speller). Other than that I carried fine and gave birth fine. 6hrs active labour and no complications.
  • Options
    I'm 5'4" and currently 269. My Dr's told me that the risk of still birth goes up with heavier women so I would be getting non-stress tests regularly at the end. This is #2 for me and I started out at 248 last time. They have said nothing about a C-section but I did have a normal birth last time. I'm also gd this time so I've lost about 2# so far. The Dr's want me to hold my weight steady rather than lose or gain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Overweight and high risk here, 21 weeks 3 days and I've lost 22 pounds (not trying to, just sick ALL the time and no appetite
  • Options
    Oh honey, i am overweight and two births before this one were just fine. Although, with my last (and current) i did have GD. Just keep in mind, if baby is not in distress, they cannot force you to have a CS.
  • Options
    I started about where you are weight wise with my first two pregnancies. No one said a single thing to me about being high risk with either pregnancy. Both of my children were born by csec. Failed induction for my first and she ended up being 11.1 pounds. No GD. My second was a RCS. I had two very uneventful pregnancies except for some nasty morning sickness with both. I left the hospital both times weighing less than when I had started my pregnancies. I lost in the first trimester and gained slowly in the second 2. This pregnancy, I started weighing 70 pounds less and have now been diagnosed with glucose intolerance which is a fancy way of saying I was 1 point above on 1 value on my 3 hour glucose test. They put me on the gd diet which is very different from how I normally eat now and I have to test 4 times a day. All my results are normal and personally I believe I was misdiagnosed. Goes to show you that you can have perfectly healthy pregnancies at a higher weight and have crappy pregnancies even if you lose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"