Infertility

Question re: AMH vs. FSH levels

I got my AMH level back last week, and it was 3.8 (I'm 28, will be 29 in March).  The NP at my RE said that's within the range they want to see (anything >1), and Dr. Google seemed to think it was slightly above average for someone my age (although below potential PCOS levels), so I was feeling pretty good.

Now this morning I got my FSH level back, and it was 9.4.  NP said it was borderline high because they want to see results <10, but they weren't overly concerned due to my AMH.  Cue immediate panic.  As I've been looking around Dr. Google, I've also seen that anything >9 is considered high by some clinics.  And because I like to make my life more stressful, I've been in a state of worry ever since.

So my question is: anyone gotten somewhat conflicting AMH and FSH levels?  Anyone have any insight into if one would be a better indicator than the other?  Anyone want to just tell me to calm my tits?!?!
Me (28): fine, DH (28): MFI
Married 6/21/09
Off BCP and TTC 4/17/11
BFP #1 (ended in CP) 7/15/11
Varicocelectomy surgery 9/4/12 - T improved to normal, but still low count

Current Status: Pursuing Jan '15 IVF w/ ICSI
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

image    imageimage

Re: Question re: AMH vs. FSH levels

• BootsOrHeartsBootsOrHearts member
    edited December 2014
    **Ticker warning**

I believe AMH is a better measure of ovarian reserve than FSH because FSH fluctuates quite a bit cycle to cycle. However, AMH is still a pretty 'new' test and there are lots of anecdotes about it going UP measurably over time, which theoretically it should never do (you can't like, ADD eggs right?) so I dunno. If your RE says don't stress then DONT STRESS. :-)
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• @fizzachaudhary‌ thanks, lots of helpful responses in that link.

@lemonliz‌ I ran across a site that said that, too. But it is frustrating. It sucks enough that we are both MFI and have to go straight to IVF, but then to get another obstacle put in front of us...ugh. I go back and forth about being excited, but today I'm definitely not. Bad IF day I guess :((
    Married 6/21/09
    Off BCP and TTC 4/17/11

image    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • What was your estrogen level? If your estrogen level was high (over 50) it could inflate your fsh. Also did you take any fsh stimulating drugs the cycle before you tested?

I wouldn't stress too much about the numbers. I've been on this roller coaster a long time and I've seen those that are "paper perfect" fail time and again and those with dismal numbers succeed on the first try.

TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET c/p
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F/2-8 cell grade 1 transfer
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    6R/4M/4F 1 compacting and 2-8 cell transfer
    ectopic pg MTX given 3 month break from TTC

IVF#4 Sept 2013--BFN
    IVF#5-7 Apr 2014, Jun 2014 and Aug 2014 banking embryos for CCS testing. Praying for normals! Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

http://i61.tinypic.com/34zll06
  • @hmz819 They didn't give me the estrogen level over the phone, just said it was in "normal" range.  I'll make sure I ask when I'm in for my SIS on Friday.  I haven't had any sort of medicated cycles pre-IVF - we were sent straight to IVF since our MFI is so bad.

@lemonliz Thanks lady!  January can't get here soon enough...
    Married 6/21/09
    Off BCP and TTC 4/17/11

image    imageimage
  • **siggy warning**

I have a normal AMH of 2.something and a high FSH. FSH does seem to change each cycle as mine was 11.4 then 7 and then 12 for my IVF cycle. I responded fairly well (or at least what my RE was aiming for) with 12 eggs.

Good luck!

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013
    DX: Unexplained or possibly DOR and DH 2% morph
    3 IUIs May-July: all BFN
    IVF Sept 2014: 12R 10M 8F, 5 day eSET 9/15, 4 frosties
    Beta #1 353, Beta #2 651, EDD June 3

TRUST in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"