New York Babies
Options

NYC: We don't have a car, do we need car seat?

First post, first pregnancy 11 weeks. 

Husband & I are discussing whether we need a car seat since we don't have a car.  Curious to know what other NYC parents without cars have done.

Thanks!
Steph

Re: NYC: We don't have a car, do we need car seat?

• Options
    Hi & Congrats!
    We decided to get a travel system with a car seat. We rent cars a few times a year and would prefer having it just in case. I'll also want the stroller/car seat for the first few months.
    It's not necessary and we considered not getting one. It's a personal choice.
  • Options
    I think some of the hospitals require the car seat for you to leave the hospital but you should check with your OB or hospital on the policy.  You might also use the car seat in taxis?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a 2 yr old and we bought a convertible car seat when he was about a yr old. We don't have a car either. I have to say it is nice for a couple of reasons to have your own 1. You can have spontaneous trips and not have to worry about having a car seat. During the summer we would do zip car and hit the beaches 2. You won't have to fight with a new car seat. I can install mine in minutes in a rental or my parents car 3.we rented a cat with a car seat on vacation. Worst thing ever. It was disguising and didn't look up to safety regulations.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had to have one in order to leave the hospital. But we hoped in the cab no problem and went home.

You'll never know when you'll need to leave the city DS was 2 weeks old when we got evacuated for Sandy. Glad we had it so we could leave.

Duke Winter 10/11/12
    Baby Duex 05/20/15

NYC Momma 

"My stroller is my SUV"
  • Options
    Yes you still need one. The hospital isn't likely to let you leave without one (silly for Manhattan hospitals). See if you can borrow one from a friend, neighbor or family member.
  • Options
    We getting an infant one to attach to the stroller and for when we rent cars or ride in taxis. Check out thecarseatlady.com she has a lot of information about car seats and she is from nyc too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"