High-Risk Pregnancy

STMs and GD

I'm very early in my second pregnancy and had GD with my first. My midwife suggested that I go ahead and play it safe by starting a GD diet now.

Although I haven't been tested or diagnosed yet, I've been trying to stick with the diet loosely. But the biggest issue that I'm having is that I'm pretty much starving all the time.

Did you go through this? Any advice/ideas on how to get through first tri on a GD diet? Would it be better to eat more than a recommended serving at a meal or snack or can I snack/eat more frequently and just eat when I'm hungry?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: STMs and GD

• I was also told to start a GD diet with this pregnancy early on since I had it with my last baby. But I didn't. I didn't until I was diagnosed around 24 weeks. I looked up meal plans and found if I ate 3 meals and 3 small snacks every couple hrs I was good.
    Don't wait to eat when you are hungry because you will over eat and your sugars will be high.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • I am no doctor but I always found it so hard to stick to the diet in first tri because I was soooo hungry in first tri.  I was diagnosed both times around 13 weeks and that is very early, so I'm going to take a guess that that is the earliest you can be diagnosed, since it is your placenta that messes up your body's ability to produce insulin, and the placenta takes over sustaining the pregnancy right around 10-12 weeks. 

So I assume they told you to start the diet now just to get used to it.  But the way I see it, being diagnosed so early at 13 weeks is hard to stick with the diet for 27 weeks, so I always enjoyed my first tri and didn't worry about what I ate.  I mean, don't binge on carbs, but eat when you're hungry and try not to stress.  But like I said, I am no doctor, so following what your doctor says might be best if that's what makes you more comfortable.  If you do follow the diet now, try upping your protein so you can stay full longer.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for sharing, ladies!  I feel much better now.  I was feeling so guilty every time I ate something off diet or at the wrong time.  I'm trying to stay away from the obvious sweets, extra sugars, and carbs but still eating when I'm hungry, etc.  There's still a chance this won't even be an issue, right!?  Fingers crossed.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used to be hungry in the morning, so I upped the amount of protein I was eating.  For example, I ate two eggs instead of one or I would add an extra slice of ham or turkey.  It seemed to work.  I also switched to Healthy life brand bread as it has less carbs and more fiber.  
  • I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my second. I was diagnosed at 34 weeks with my first but this time around they wanted to see me immediately following a positive test result. I've been testing 4 times a day for the last 2.5 weeks and they called me this morning to tell me they are most likely putting me on insulin :( 
  • I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my second. I was diagnosed at 34 weeks with my first but this time around they wanted to see me immediately following a positive test result. I've been testing 4 times a day for the last 2.5 weeks and they called me this morning to tell me they are most likely putting me on insulin :( 
    I'm so sorry that it looks like you're having to go that route already.  

I've almost all but given up on keeping up with the GD diet during first tri.  At this point, the hunger and nausea are just overruling the potential for GD.  

I have my first real appointment on the 19th at 11 weeks.  Hoping they'll put off testing so soon but I doubt it.  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"