May 2014 Moms

Reflux Check-In (11/25)

This is a check-in for May mamas of LOs with reflux. Returning or new to the Check-In, we'd love to hear from you!

1 - How old is your LO and how long has s/he been treated for reflux?

2 - How is LO doing? Any new developments, successes or challenges since the last Check-In?

3 - Any questions or tips for other reflux mamas, or anything else to share?

4 - Any special plans for your LO's first Thanksgiving?  What is your favorite thing about Thanksgiving?

Re: Reflux Check-In (11/25)

• 1 - DD is 26.5 weeks old.  She was diagnosed with reflux ~8.5 weeks and had been on meds (first Zantac for a week, then replaced by Prevacid) until early October when we quit the Prevacid.  After her symptoms started worsening at the end of October, we got back on the Zantac, which we were on for almost 3 weeks.  Alas, it stopped working and so we're back on Prevacid AGAIN.

2 - Back on the Prevacid...  We started oatmeal cereal since the last check-in which everyone swore would help with her reflux, and I haven't seen an improvement.  If anything, it makes her VERY gassy.  So the couple times we tried to give it to her at night before bed, it backfired and she was up fussing and farting all night.

3 - For those of you on Prevacid, was the dosage adjusted based on LO's age/weight?  When we first started Prevacid on August 1 (Just over 2 months old and ~11/12 pounds I think) the dosage prescribed was 1 mL per day.  LO is now 6 months old and a lot heavier (~17 pounds), and when I asked the doctor she directed the same dosage.  I found that weird, so just wondering what others have experienced.

4 - We are going to MIL's for the day.  She realllllly wants us to stay overnight (It's about 60 miles / 1.5 hr drive from where we live) but Emily is such a bad sleeper even at home that I don't think anything good can come of that.  To be honest, I'm dreading the drive and going at all, bc I have a feeling she's not going to nap at all that day.  My favorite thing about Thanksgiving (besides family of course!) is usually green bean casserole, but since I'm still on MSPI diet none for me this year!!  :)  I'm just so grateful for my LO and so excited to feed her sweet potato puree on Turkey Day.  ;)
  • 1. DD turned 6 months on the 20th. She has been on Zantac since June.

2. DD has been doing great. She is getting .5ml once every other day until Friday and then I am going to completely stop giving it to her and see if she is still ok.

3. @giggler25 I am sorry to hear your LO is still struggling with this. Is she on formula?

4. Favorite thing about Thanksgiving is spending time with family and stuffing myself! We will be at the in laws from Thursday-Sunday. Saturday we will do xmas cookie decorating!
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. DD turned 6 months on the 20th. She has been on Zantac since June. 2. DD has been doing great. She is getting .5ml once every other day until Friday and then I am going to completely stop giving it to her and see if she is still ok. 3. @giggler25 I am sorry to hear your LO is still struggling with this. Is she on formula? 4. Favorite thing about Thanksgiving is spending time with family and stuffing myself! We will be at the in laws from Thursday-Sunday. Saturday we will do xmas cookie decorating!
    So exciting that you're weaning DD form the Zantac!  How has she been doing since Friday??  I hope to hear a good report!  I hope your xmas cookie decorating went well!

My DD is on breastmilk, though she started eating oatmeal cereal about a month ago and just started eating veggie purees a couple weeks ago.
  • I decreased her doses from 1ml am and pm to .5ml am and pm. Then we went to .5ml pm only and now we are on .5ml every other pm. She has been pretty fussy lately but I cant tell if its teething or reflux :(
  • @becole42‌ it is hard to mess with it when you finally feel like you have your baby feeling happy and uncomfortable.
  • @giggler25‌ I Completely Stopped The Zantac (Idk Why Every word is being capitalized but whatever) but then she started getting really cranky. I think it is because her 2nd tooth is coming in but I freaked out and started the zantac every other day again just incase it was reflux :/
  • Cookie decorating was a lot of fun btw :)
  • @giggler25‌ I Completely Stopped The Zantac (Idk Why Every word is being capitalized but whatever) but then she started getting really cranky. I think it is because her 2nd tooth is coming in but I freaked out and started the zantac every other day again just incase it was reflux :/
    Oh no!!!  My DD has been super cranky as well.... these teeth are hard!!!  I hope in your case the crankiness goes away soon and she doesnt' need the Zantac for long!
  • I haven't been on here in a while either, things have been pretty good for DD at 2 mLs Zantac am & pm.

I decided to do a trial without the Zantac before her recent 6 month appt. It was definitely clarifying. I skipped her am dose and she was fine for a few hours, then the crying, arching, painful spitting up started. It was awful. Talked to the pedi and we're definitely staying on the Zantac for another couple months here.

@becole42‌ , I didn't want to mess with the nighttime dose because 1) laying down can trigger reflux, and 2) I wanted to be able to observe any changes.
  • Update: DD has not had Zantac since early last week! The crankiness is a lot better so im thinking it was teething. She has been spitting up a little but no crying with it. Fingers crossed here! I am hoping all your LO's get relief from it soon without medicine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"