Cincinnati Babies
Options

hospital & midwife recommendation?

#2 is currently baking (about 7 weeks along) & we're looking for a good midwife/group.

Also, anyone have any opinions on delivering at Good Sam vs. Bethesda North? I had a great non-medicated delivery with our first & would like to try for the same this time around ... but that was in a different state (we just moved here).

Answers

• Options
    Thanks @mom2boxers. Several family members have delivered at Good Sam, but it's been a few years & I'm not sure if they've made any updates since.
  • Options
    I agree with a hospital tour. I go to a group of obgyns as well, and had the option of good Sam or Bethesda. We chose Bethesda (haven't had LO yet... Due Jan 9, so soon!). The tour really put my mind at ease. The delivery rooms are spacious, and while the recovery room is a tad on the small side, I've been in the recovery rooms at good Sam too, and they are kinda small as well, so I think that's typical. I loved that you don't have to worry about sharing a room as well. To me, Bethesda seemed really nice, is closer to home, and what I was looking for.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, we'll definitely take the tour. It's just that most of the midwives I'm looking into only deliver at one or the other hospital. We're pretty centrally located & Bethesda is sounding like the best option.

With our first (a couple years ago), I had an awesome midwife & was happy with how L&D went. The hospital, however, was in the middle of a remodel & I ended up staying in the same room I delivered in. It was fine, but delivery beds aren't meant to slept on. I ended up leaving a day earlier than I probably should have just so I could be more comfortable at home. Not a big deal, just hoping to avoid something like that again.

Thanks for everyone's input!
  • Options
    Bethesda doesn't have the birth tubs, but they have a few rooms with bathtubs and all other rooms have huge showers. I am set to deliver there any day now! Have had tons of friends and family members that loved it there. Although he isn't a midwife, I recommend Dr. Kurt Froehlich. His office is minutes from Bethesda and he is very, very natural birth friendly! An excellent doctor and doula friendly!
  • Options
    You should join the Cincinnati Homebirth circle on Facebook. Even if you're not planning a home birth, they can put you in touch with both midwives and natural birth friendly ob/gyn. I planned a home birth, but after 16 hours of laboring at home (water was broken for 17hrs) we transferred into my backup care which was Dr. Guy and one of his nurse midwives helped me deliver. Sadly I was placed on pit because my contractions were slowing down and I was starting to fall asleep. But they only gave me a small dose and allowed me to do everything else naturally. 

For those cringing, my midwife has good relations with my ob, they worked together my entire pregnancy and the OB cleared me for a home birth. When I went into labor we informed the OB and my midwife checked in with him throughout the day. They both made the decision that I should transfer, he thought I would be just fine at home but thought I should play it safe since my water broke so many hours beforehand.

It was a long drive to Miami Vally in Dayton, but it was worth it in an effort to have an all natural birth. It saddens me that they had to give me PIT, but without it my contractions would have stopped completely (which obviously isn't good!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"