Baby Names

Last names for first names

What do you guys think?? Personally, I've been a fan of last names for first names but as I'm considering my own baby girl's name.... I'm starting to waiver. Specifically, "Reynolds" is a family name and I've really liked that for a girl: Reynolds Kirkland. Is that too masculine or is it too much of a surname? Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!!

Re: Last names for first names

• I'm not a fan of surnames as first names. I don't mind a surname in the middle name spot. I don't think of Reynolds Kirkland as a girl name (nor a boy name for that matter). To me, it doesn't sound feminine at all. I'd prefer 'girl name' Reynolds LN.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I actually like some LN as a FN on boys. DS is Reed which is a common last name. However I really don't like it girls. Reynolds is terrible for a little girl. If you must use it in the MN spot.
  • Loading the player...
  • LN as FN can be okay. (For instance, I like Franklin on a boy) Most are NMS.

Reynolds is not a great name for a boy or a girl. I think you can do better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really don't like it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• DaisyZH said:

I really don't like it.

Agree.
  • I know a little 5 year old girl named Reynolds. She's precious. It's a very special family name. I think if you love it, then use it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm usually a fan of the ln as fn thing. But Reynolds is not even remotely feminine. Mn it if you must.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I typically don't mind surnames as a fn if it's a family name, but Reynolds is awful--especially for a girl. It's truly terrible.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• mermomof6 said:

MauiBliss said:

Reynolds? Like the aluminum foil? Yeah, no. If it's a super special family name, middle name it. It's really, really bad as a first name for a girl. She's the poor kid that has to live with it for the rest of her life. 

Isn't Kirkland also a store brand name?
    Costco
  • I am more okay with last names for first names on boys but have a hard time liking them for girls. If you really like it, I would use Reynolds as a middle name.
  • When you say last names are you referring to Anglo Saxon names or any ethnicity? There is nothing remotely feminine about Reynolds Kirkland. Chose one of them as the MN and chose an attractive female FM.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Some surnames as first names are fine, or have firmly migrated into acceptable territory. Surnames as middle names are perfectly fine. Reynolds as a name is bad, and for a girl is terrible.
  • Yea.... Definitely not in the "if you love it, use it" camp. It's all well and good for you to love it, you don't have to go through life introducing yourself as Reynolds.

• My MIL counts herself lucky.  Her sisters got surnames as middle names, while she got a feminine MN.  They were jealous.  So....  I wouldn't even mn it. 
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • For me it depends on the name.
    Reynolds... No.
    But some people have James, bailey, Benjamin, etc as last names which are great first names.
  • Reynolds doesn't work as a FN for either sex IMO. Since it has family significance it would be better in the MN spot. 

What was the first name of your ancestor Reynolds? Why not use that, or a variant, instead? 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • If you like it and it has special meaning to you I say use it. It is not one of those weird made up names and a bit unusual is better, in my opinion, than being one of the hundreds of little girls running around with the current trendy names. My daughter's name is Winslow (also called Winnie) and I adore her name and so do so many people who have met her. She gets compliments on her name almost daily! I say go for it.
  • nublet said:

If you like it and it has special meaning to you I say use it. It is not one of those weird made up names and a bit unusual is better, in my opinion, than being one of the hundreds of little girls running around with the current trendy names. My daughter's name is Winslow (also called Winnie) and I adore her name and so do so many people who have met her. She gets compliments on her name almost daily! I say go for it.

I disagree. I'd rather be one of 15 Charlottes than the only Reynolds. I think you should MN Reynolds if you like it and keep searching for a FN.
  • Reynolds Kirkland sounds like a law firm.

Also RJ Reynolds.

Also no.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of the worst names on here in a while.
  • I am all for family surnames as FNs, but only if they're suitable for the child's sex.  Most surnames sound masculine, and especially Reynolds, which is a familiar if uncommon boy name with an S at the end.  Use it as a MN or save it for a boy.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I like some last names as first names. Unfortunately I think Reynolds is too much with your last name. It's one I would typically think of to use as a first name either.

Anderson
    Griffin
    Sawyer
    Beckett
    Carter
    Quinn
    Dawson
    Cooper
    Reid
    Jackson
    Greyson
    Harrison

These are the more typical ones that come to mind
  • Whoops....my bad!! Must've missed that detail.

I guess I just jumped to conclusions with Reynolds
  • Reynolds Kirkland is bad.

I can see the charming(trendy) appeal to surnames for girls but not these 2 together. Names need balance.

Suggestions:

Reynolds Lilly
    Reynolds Edith
    Reynolds Margaret

Kirkland June
    Kirkland Emily
    Kirkland Lenora

What girl names do you like outside of family names?
  • I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer a real last name as a first name to a made up last name as a first name. Neither is really my style, but if you're going to do it I respect a real name more. So Reynolds is better than, say, Windsor - what my mother in law likes, as if we are British royals or something (!) - because at least it's real.

Reynolds is masculine enough though that I'd only go with it for a girl personally if I lived in the Deep South or some other place where last names as first names are common. I've known southern girls (now in their 30s) named Greer and Campbell, and it seemed to work for them.

Good luck choosing!

Um, I live in the "Deep South," and don't know any girl with a masculine surname as a fn.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Love it for a boy, hate it for a girl!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers 

• LOATHE this trend with the heat of 1000 suns.

Reynolds is God-awful for either sex, but particularly heinous on a girl.  If you want to use it, MN it and pick a nice, feminine first name.

I am going to have to second this....yeah...please don't do that to your child.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"