Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

8 months old and will not eat baby food

My LO just turned 8 months old. We have been EBFing since birth. At six months I started to introduce a variety of veggie baby foods (sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, pumpkin, peas, green beans). All of the flavors were a battle. I assumed that eventually I would find one that he liked. In the beginning I would nurse and immediately after try the baby food but he had no interest in it, I also tried offering the baby food in between nursing feedings but still no luck. I have tried a variety of times during the day as I had read worked for others but still no luck. Since he was about 5 months old he has visually shown an interest when my husband and I are eating, he will follow the food with his eyes, open his mouth and move his tongue like he wants some but then when I put a spoon of his food near his mouth he squeezes his lips closed, swats the spoon away, and gets very frustrated. I have recently tried fruit flavors but still no interest. He never gags or has issues swallowing, it just seems like he doesn't like the flavors or maybe the texture? I have had luck giving him small chunks of a fresh banana and sucking on an apple and he loved them both. I feel like at 8 months he should be much more interested and accepting to baby food.

Has any one else gone through this? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Re: 8 months old and will not eat baby food

• Options
    Why does he need to have baby food? There is no need or benefit to it. If he is showing interest in real food then that's what I would give him.

By 8 mos my DS was eating real food for 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. He was eating a modified version of what I was eating. Try steamed veggies, soft fruits, pasta, cheese, shredded chicken. The only thing he can't have at this age is whole nuts and honey but everything else is fair game. Give it a go.
  • Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited December 2014
    If he's not into the puréed stuff, try table food. Let him play with the different textures and the tastes. Let him try being in control, some babies prefer that to the spoon. I agree with pp, look into BLW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same as PPs. BLW and real food for the win. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"