January 2014 Moms
Options

Nursing and Weaning Questions

So we are still bfing, which is great; DS is eating some solids but not what I would consider whole meals.  We still have some time before he hits my bf goal of one year but my question is about self weaning and weaning in general.  Those who weaned after one year, how did you know that they were ready?  DS is snacking more and more during the day from me, eating less and less of what I pump from the bottle, but is consistently asking for more solid food.  I actually can't eat anything in front of him that I don't want to share because he's very insistent.  We are starting the first real teething which has been great for me to nurse without any chompers but I'm wondering if this disinterest in milk is the start of weaning for him(my supply is regulating down during the day but I cant tell at night).  Sidenote: he still does not sttn and has (due to the teething I'm guessing) been waking and nursing up to four times a night.  Typical wakings are still twice a night and he eats half of what he would in a normal feeding during the day at each time.  I need him to keep nursing during the day and not so much at night.  I still don't want to CIO and haven't done my sleep training research, but straight Ferber isn't for us at this time.  Anyone have any input for me?  We recently moved and then he started teething so I feel like our equilibrium is off, of course I will be waiting for the teething to pass before I make any drastic changes to our routine.  Thanks for the input ladies, sorry so rambling and long.

Re: Nursing and Weaning Questions

• Options
    @Bookshelves‌ does feb even have a fb group?
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Options
    @tarajeannette‌ my fear with the solids is that he's going to replace almost all of his daytime milk with the solids and then make nighttime even more about nursing. He has decreased his milk intake by almost half. Every time he sleeps poorly I think about ST but then when it goes away and we are at two wakings again I'm totally functional.
    I need to make a plan and give myself time to add another pump back in to see what happens. At the very least I can give myself a little cushion if he does decide not to nurse.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've had some constipation issues in addition to the teething so I think the last few weeks have been off for him. Luckily I noticed an increase in my pumping as soon as the holiday stress ended.
  • Options
    I would see if solid food actually helps for sleeping, it did for us.

I am planning to keep up 4 nursing sessions until a year (jan 17th) them I will immediate drop my at work pumping session and give him milk. As for the 3 other nursing sessions I plan to see how that goes. I'm In no rush to wean from those but he has already lost interest haha so my guess is he will almost wean himself... But we shall see :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This overwhelms me!  Since DD didn't grow much between 6 and 9 months, I kept nursing her every 3 hours during the day and she still nurses 2 times at night.  This means I am nursing her 7 times in a 24 hour period, plus I pump at 10 PM before I go to bed.  I can't imagine quitting nursing since it is such a big part of my day. 

DD is now back on track for growing so I would like to nurse a little less. I would love to only nurse her 2-3 times per day when she turns 1.  How did you moms transition to 4 nursing sessions a day?  I feel like DD gets grumpy at that 3 hour mark even though she now eats solids 3 times per day. 
  • Options
    @holly142‌ he did it himself. I always nurse after naps and as he extended awake time it naturally extended time between nursing. I deff nurse more than 4 times right now during teething... Yes still teething.
    I've decided to wait it out and see how he's doing after the teeth come through and just relax with the thought of him weaning. My goal after one year is to night wean him first and then stop pumping at work then follow his cues for our time together. I'm fine nursing him longer in person and so excited to ditch the pump!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"