April 2015 Moms

Moms who have had c sections

hi ladies. I just found out I have placenta previa I know there is a chance it might move but having a c section is my biggest fear.
Being awake while they cut me open sounds way to scary especially since with me first the epidural didn't really work 100%

Did any of you opt to be put out for the c section instead of being awake? What was your recovery like?

I'm worried with having a two year old already and a Dh that works away from home that this is going to be impossible for me. (I don't live near any family as they are all on the other side of the country so they can't help either)

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed I did try searching but didn't see anything about ladies being put out instead of being awake

Re: Moms who have had c sections

• I had a c-section with my first, but after 32 hours of hard labor and pushing, I was more than ready!! It's normal to feel some anxiety, but this is where TRUSTING YOUR DOCTOR is imperative. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with your dr and things will go smoothly. I'm worried about the recovery now that I will have an almost 4 year old to care for as well. I was awake for the last and will be for this one. I can't handle the idea that other people will meet and know my baby before I'm awake, so I'm opting to not be put under. The only thing that bothered me last time was hearing a noise like you do at the dentist from the "spit sucker" and realizing it was just like a "spit sucker" only it was blood. Now I'm coming prepared with headphones to block it all out. :-) Good luck to you!!
  • @swoon13 I guess I just worry it won't move because they found it at 22 weeks and it's a complete coverage rather then just partial. The next scan is at 30 weeks and if hasn't moved by then she will be scheduling the c section for 37 weeks. I know I should think positive that it will move but it's still like having a nightmare come true for me lol.

With my first my biggest fear was being induced and that happened so I guess I just think I have bad luck and this will happen too. I know it's silly reasoning.
  • Loading the player...
  • rmaurer08rmaurer08 member
    edited December 2014
    rsaj0807 said:

The complications from being put under and intubated are far greater than a spinal. Also, you're placenta will probably move. You're jumping the gun big time.

OP, this is an EXCELLENT point!! I should have added that you are causing yourself additional (and probably unnecessary) stress. Unless your dr has already specifically stated that you will be having a c-section (mine has for other medical reasons) then just wait and see what happens. :-)
  • @swoon13 I guess I just worry it won't move because they found it at 22 weeks and it's a complete coverage rather then just partial. The next scan is at 30 weeks and if hasn't moved by then she will be scheduling the c section for 37 weeks. I know I should think positive that it will move but it's still like having a nightmare come true for me lol.

With my first my biggest fear was being induced and that happened so I guess I just think I have bad luck and this will happen too. I know it's silly reasoning.

I know you are feeling uneasy, but there is some chance your placenta will move. I have a partial pp and I fear a CS, too. However, I am choosing not to worry about it until I have to. Otherwise it's just borrowing trouble.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • And also a spinal is different than an epidural. I think (don't quote me) that there is less chance of a spinal not working than an epidural. That's why they do spinals for c sections and not epidurals.
  • Being awake while being cut open is very scary thinking about it. But well worth it, and in the moment you won't be thinking about being open on the table you will be thinking about your beautiful baby. 

And the recovery with a two year old can be a little tough, but it is manageable. 
  • Thanks ladies I didn't realize they used something other than an epidural for a c section. I will try not to think about it until the time comes!
  • Last time, I had an epidural and was wearing off by the time I had the c section. They switched it to a spinal and I was pretty much instantly numb. Remember, the anesthesiologist will be in the room the entire time to make adjustments as needed. 

Even though you are awake for it you don't see anything because they put up the sheet. 
    imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My sister-in-law had an emergency c-section with her first and had to be put under.  She said coming out of it was horrible and her husband was doing skin-to-skin with the baby for 4 hours waiting for her to wake-up to try breastfeeding.  She said she was so woozy and messed up it was just terrible.  She had a scheduled c-section with her second daughter and was awake and said it was so, so much better.
  • I've had a vaginal delivery and three c-sections. I felt that the sections were way easier in terms of recovery. I'm so glad I was awake. General anesthesia is for emergencies only and WAY more dangerous than an epidural.
  • taahirataahira member
    edited December 2014
    I don't think you should even be concerned yet. I also had complete previa which resolved its self. In almost all cases it moves up or far away enough so you can have a vaginal birth.
  • I had severe PTSD after my first CS. I was terrified of my 2nd. I discussed being put under many times with my doctor. It's not good for the baby. Dad isn't allowed in the room...they shove a huge tube down your throat. Just no bueno, You can however ask for a sedative to help. I did that and the deal was they would knock me out one once baby was out. I did so good with the sedative I was able to stay awake the whole time. I just played on my phone. Anyway, Versid is the drug they gave me.
  • I could see that...it can take a bit of time for them to make the incision and get in there and it is a very strange thing to be happening even if you can't see it - I talked to my DH, nurses, whomever to be a bit distracted. When they actually get the baby on the outside...well that's a different story.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • JJBodenJJBoden member
    edited December 2014
    saltbox40 said:
    I had severe PTSD after my first CS. I was terrified of my 2nd. I discussed being put under many times with my doctor. It's not good for the baby. Dad isn't allowed in the room...they shove a huge tube down your throat. Just no bueno, You can however ask for a sedative to help. I did that and the deal was they would knock me out one once baby was out. I did so good with the sedative I was able to stay awake the whole time. I just played on my phone. Anyway, Versid is the drug they gave me.
    You played on your phone during the birth of your child?! That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. To each their own, I suppose.

After they took him out.. You bet I did. I had a playlist on my phone and I flipped though pics of my older son to distract me. I chose not to focus in the fact that my guts were out in the open and being sewn back up. ETA: baby and daddy were out of the room. Not like I was avoiding them. It takes longer to be sewn back up than to get baby out. I wasn't looking at pics until after he was out and no longer in the room.
  • Just wanted to add to the others that have said the placenta can move- my cousin had complete coverage and was scheduled for a c section next week and the did an u/s today, saw the placenta had moved, cancelled the c and are going to let her go into labor on her own. Pretty sure they would keep checking the placenta right up until the surgery and most likely, as others have said, it will move.
  • I had a csection due to complete breech presentation with my first. I agree with pp that it's not as bad as you think and it's much better to be awake than out for the birth of your child. My biggest concern for the section was the off chance that they would need to put me under if there were complications.
  • I wouldn't worry too much, the more you think about it the more stressed you will make yourself in the meantime!
    Are you just incredibly uncomfortable with the idea or something else? Personally I've made myself pretty stressed thinking about it as one of my biggest fears has to be being awake during any type or surgery, even very minor things. :s Can't tell for sure at this stage if a c section will actually be needed anyway (well, possibly in a few cases) I wish you the best with not needing one however x.

A PP mentioned not being able to ask for one. In regards to this, It is likely depending on the hospital. I have heard of women opting to be put under and my local hospital does give the option of being put under when a c section is needed. 

• When I was pregnant with my first daughter I wasn't planned for c-section till on Labor my gyn told me that am having complications to dilate my uterus was only 5cm open and couldn't open anymore than that so she told me that my baby was too big that's why I had the c-section, but with this second baby she said that I can try the natural birth delivery
  • Epidurals are used for labor. A spinal block is used for a CS. If they cannot do the spinal, if mom and baby are in distress and the baby needs to come out ASAP, then you will undergo general anesthesia. That includes having a tube down your throat to breathe for you. The general anesthesia consists of a few meds pushed through your Iv to knock you out. I don't really recommend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"