April 2015 Moms

Young mums

Is there any young mums, still in school or anyone who has any tips on working out a schedule for breastfeeding. Dying to know as I still want to be able to breast feed my daughter before and after school and store breast milk for during the day for day care whilst I finish year 12. Scared my nurses and doctor won't be able to help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Talk to your school nurse. You may be able to pump during your lunch hour. Hopefully your school staff will be supportive and allow you to have the supplies you need.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you, yes they've all been very supportive and want to help in any way possible to accomplish the last year of high school.
  • No advice (ftm here) but i applaud you for finishing school while raising your baby.
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

• Way to go trying to do the best for your baby by breastfeeding and finishing school! It's not going to be easy but you can do it! Good luck!
  • Go Momma, Go!!! I think you can see we are all proud of your determination! Sounds like you are a smart girl who will be able to make this happen. In addition to the nurse, maybe have a joint meeting with the counselor. I think those two will be able to help you get the resources and time to pump when you need to. :-) good luck and great job already!
  • I agree with everyone else's posts- talk to your school nurse and your counselor. You might also want to talk to any teachers that you may have had who have had babies while working at your school- they may be a good person to have in your corner. The school should be able to accommodate! So proud of you for finishing strong AND doing what's best for baby!
  • I'm a high school teacher and we had a student do this during part of her junior year and during her entire senior year.  I agree you need to have a plan going into the end of this school year.  Also, when you schedule for next year you need a plan for that as well.  You will need to talk to your counselor to be sure that your schedule will accommodate time to pump.  As a teacher I pump during my prep period and during lunch, I just make sure those are spread 2-3 hours apart.  See if you can have an on-line class for next year so that you can pump during that period (I know in my state if a student asks for an online class when scheduling the school has to honor that and pay for it).  Like a lot of other people have said, talk to the nurse on a place that you can pump (it has to be someplace other than a bathroom).

I think its great that you want to BF your child, especially while still in school!
    Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • alie78_80 said:

I'm a high school teacher and we had a student do this during part of her junior year and during her entire senior year.  I agree you need to have a plan going into the end of this school year.  Also, when you schedule for next year you need a plan for that as well.  You will need to talk to your counselor to be sure that your schedule will accommodate time to pump.  As a teacher I pump during my prep period and during lunch, I just make sure those are spread 2-3 hours apart.  See if you can have an on-line class for next year so that you can pump during that period (I know in my state if a student asks for an online class when scheduling the school has to honor that and pay for it).  Like a lot of other people have said, talk to the nurse on a place that you can pump (it has to be someplace other than a bathroom).

I think its great that you want to BF your child, especially while still in school!

I completely agree with this. I'm a high school teacher also. Use your study hall, lunch, possibly an online class, or see if you qualify for early release. There will be lots of options. Good luck!
  • I'm in the same position you are, and I just talked to my school about graduating early, I'm a junior but will be finished by March, just talk to your teachers, nurse, counselor, and principal, someone should be able to help you, good luck!
  • Perhaps you can take the summer to take an extra or an online course or two to free up time in your schedule for the fall. Even if you can take many online courses this summer--younger be able to continue to pump during hat time and work it so you graduate a semester early. Kudos to you for really trying to make this all work for you. I am overwhelmed myself at the ripe age of 37. As a teacher--it makes me so happy to see a young woman with a solid head on her shoulders.
    January Siggy Challenge--Exercise Fails

Met: 2/27/10 Married: 2/16/13 1st LO EDD: 4/10/15
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • I too am in my year 12.. Luckily i was able to transfer to an alternative school where i can have my baby in the schools daycare and breastfeed whenever i need
  • Good for you! Hugs and well wishes that you're able to figure out a schedule and plan that works for you and baby PLUS school! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"