Babies: 3 - 6 Months

success with gripe water?

Anyone have success using gripe water. DD is really gassy and uncomfortable only at bedtime everynight.  I can get her down but she ALWAYS wakes up 30 minutes after screaming and in pain....she passes alot of gas.  I tried it tonight and she seemed to calm down, I just don't know if it's a fluke or it really works.
TIA

Re: success with gripe water?

• It works for us but I only use it for hiccups. LO gets hiccups almost every day and I just give him a couple drops and they magically go away.

• Thanks...I feel the dosage is so much....she seemed to do well last night.   Time will tell.
  • Loading the player...
  • Never worked for my kids. I ended up trying Cocyntal by Boiron for DD, but I can't say for sure if it helped. Seemed to, but who knows if it's just one of those things. They come in single doses, so it's a lot less to give and a lot easier to give than gripe water. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We LOVE gripe water!! We've only ever given LO half the dosage too, like maybe 1/4 tsp from the dropper, never needed more than that. We give him for hiccups sometimes as well. He loves the stuff though. 

Is she on formula? Might want to look at changing to a sensitive type possibly. Obviously talk to your pediatrician first if you desire.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We LOVE gripe water!! We've only ever given LO half the dosage too, like maybe 1/4 tsp from the dropper, never needed more than that. We give him for hiccups sometimes as well. He loves the stuff though. 

Is she on formula? Might want to look at changing to a sensitive type possibly. Obviously talk to your pediatrician first if you desire.
    No, I breastfeed. I thought maybe a sensitivity....but it just started lately....hasn't been going on for awhile. She has a 4 month check up in less than 2 weeks so I will check when I go if it's still going on.
  • We use gripe water as a carrier to give him his infant probiotics and vitamin D drops.  We also use it from time to time if he's gassy or really uncomfortable, bearing down, etc.  Sometimes it works like magic and sometimes it doesn't seem to do anything.  We never use more than 1/8 to 1/4 of tsp and use a hollow medicine spoon.  We usually give it to him in two parts so that he has time to swallow it - otherwise it spills all over his shirt.
  • We were at a loss to figure out why or DS was incredibly gassy ( even after simethicone drops, extra burping and trying sensitive tummy/lactose intolerant supplemental formula) and would cry everytime I put him in his bassinet. My cousin suggested that it could be reflux, she went through the exact same thing with her daughter. The pyloric valve doesn't always close properly for some kids and leads to symptoms very similar to what OP describes. The trick to fix this, which we confirmed with our Ped., is keeping baby at a 45 degree angle for appx 20 min after feeding. We also purchased a Fischer Price Rock and Play, which honestly has been the best $50 I've spent yet! We even got an extra one for Nana's house. The rocker keeps baby at a 45 deg angle and is lightweight, portable and I keep him in it beside the bed for feedings.It rocks with his movements or just a flick of my finger. I suggest trying the angle after feedings to see if it seems to help.
  • I have also tried the gripe water, and I really have not used it enough to decide if it's working or not. I like that it is homeopathic- I use many homeo remedies in my work in wildlife medicine with excellent results.

• we tried INFACOL with my DD when she was 8 weeks.. didn't really seem to work 
    then we used Gripe Water which works miracles! 5ml after a feed when i can see she's getting gassy works amazing.. but the top of the list is COLIEF ! thats the biggie. it cost £11 for 7ml and you put 4 tiny drops in the bottle \ mix with milk. You can get it on prescription !!  but we use gripe water mainly unless she's really bad then colief. Sometimes we put the 5ml Gripewater in 2-3oz of cooled,boiled water and that helps her poo also.   hope this helps.
  • I use the Mommy's Bliss...it seems to work the best with the hiccups! 
    <<a href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"