Parenting after a Loss
Options

Need advice about formula/bottle weaning

We go the ok to move away from formula and from bottles. We asked the doctor if he won't just give up the bottles on his own. He said, he he might, around the time he goes to college. :-| 

He will drink water from a straw cup but he never could figure out the sippy cup so we gave up trying. Do we move to bottles of WCM? Then work on the sippy cup again? Do we do formula in a straw cup? Can we just give him more food instead of either milk or formula? Will there be tears? There will, won't there. 

*Gulp*

So how did you get your kid(s) off bottles and formula? Which came first? How many tears were there?  
**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: Need advice about formula/bottle weaning

• Options
    Oh also he only has 2 teeth too :-(
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• Options
    We were just at the Dr (his pedi is on maternity leave) a few days ago, and he told us he was ok with the formula (or milk), just do away with "the vessel" because the bottle can cause cavities. I am reducing the amount to just three times a day, plus more food, and will gradually reduce it. Putting formula in his sippy cup is going fine, but I'm perplexed at the cavity comment. Any idea why the rubber sippy cup is better than the rubber nipple? Thankfully, brushing his 4 teeth is a fun thing, lol. Also, Tate refuses the stubby tip sippy cup, but loves the longer one. Maybe try a different cup?

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It took M forever to figure out the sippy cup, even longer to figure out the straw cup.  We originally did water in sippy cups, but later switched to a little formula.  It seemed to be a better incentive for her  to figure it out.  With the right cup, and the formula, she picked it up pretty quick.  As soon as she could get something out of a sippy cup, I started giving WCM.  I gave her maybe 2oz a day to start and then worked up from there. 

If he can do a straw cup, I would just start with that.  You could try either formula or milk.  You can keep trying the sippy cup, but I wouldn't stress about it.  There is also a fair amount of literature that says straw cups are better for speech development too.

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • Options
    DD loooooooved her bottle and we tried a few times when she turned one to transition to sippy but she wouldn't have it. So we waited another month or so then slowly started reducing the bottle and offering her a sippy a few times a day. Then after a month of that we just went cold turkey and all she got was the sippy. Now she loves her sippy cups and will drink from any kind, straw, no straw, handle, no handle etc.. Hang in there, I never thought it would happen because she was soooooo attached to her bottle but she did it and so will baby Boots;)

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We transitioned to a soft spout sippy b/c P didn't really get the hang of the hard spout sippy.  We used Avent bottles and then the Avent soft spout.  We never did WCM in a bottle.  Then we kept giving him water in a hard spout cup until he got the hang of it and then nixed the soft spout.  There were no tears :) 

Except maybe mine ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the help ladies! We tried cow's milk this weekend and that was a no-go so we'll either have to start introducing it slowly mixing with formula or just nix it. He likes drinking water so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal and we could try almond milk for another 'drink'. I like the idea of no cow's milk. We would still give him dairy products (he loves cheese and yogurt) so i don't think he'll be lacking for calcium. 

I'll let you know what happens!

• Options
    @sunshine6888 We have that cup too! He used to be able to used it but Nanny/MIL pushes the lid down for him so then he got lazy and wouldn't do it on his own. :-| Maybe we will try it again. 

• Options
    He might also like a lower milkfat content better.  M is on 2%, because the WCM causes constipation issues.  We switched her, and we think she prefers the 2% to WCM.

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • Options
    The girls wont drink whole milk, but they will drink 2% OK, but as long as they drink enough water I am OK with it. I was never a big milk drinker. We went off the formula/bottles at 12 months pretty much cold turkey---we did mix the milk and formula 1/2 and 1/2 for 2 days, but they didn't really drink it b/c we used whole milk (ped. recommendation)
    They did have alot of practive with sippys from day care though, so that may have helped. GL!
    OH, and my girls only have 2-3 teeth each too...slow teeth getters :neutral_face:

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"