Potty Training

Any Suggestions?

My twins are potty training together and at my house doing great we reward them with money (a max of $5 a week) in a little plastic bank and at the end of the week they can go buy a toy with what they save up... Anyway, I am pregnant and have been told by my doctor "you need to rest as much as possible" so for a few hours a day they go to my mom's house which shouldn't be a big deal for them because she has watched them frequently before. But my SIL has been at her place a lot lately and she puts her daughter in Huggies which have Mickey Mouse on them, and they will have "on purpose" after "on purpose" until they run out of underwear (and diapers) making the only option a Mickey Mouse diaper. Then refuse to wear their Mickey Mouse underwear because they want the diaper... And I really have no idea how to handle the situation... I don't want them to think it is okay to go in their pants to get something they want, but I don't want to punish them for their "on purposes"

We make sure they get plenty of time with me in the mornings... we all play together and have 1 on 1 story time everyday before my mom picks them up... 

I am thinking about for every "on purpose" taking one piece of their money... But I really think that will cause more tantrums than good. 

Sorry for my bad grammar. 

Re: Any Suggestions?

• I think taking money away would be too abstract for them, but I have no experience using that method of reward or punishment.  If you try it, could you post in here and say how it went?  Do they continue having "on purposes" after they wear the diapers?  If not, could you get a supply of them to wear at grandma's house.  I'm guessing the phase will pass at some point.  DS has on purposes sometimes, but his are usually to get my attention.

Also, I'm really sorry to hear you are on pelvic rest.  I've done it, and it bites.  Wishing you well!
    Yes, they continue to go in the diaper and then when they come home they throw huge fits about being changed, even if they have pooped in the diaper they still want it over underwear. 

And I will post my results of taking the money with accidents since that is the only thing I can think of to try that won't cause potty anxiety. 
  • I'm a little confused. Are the accidents only happening at your moms or all of the time? Who is providing the Mickey Mouse pull-ups? Isn't it possible to just make those not an option?

I would not take money away for two reasons. I don't think you should punish for accidents. But also I agree with curling that he punishment is too abstract. If they earned $5 this week but had $3 taken due to accidents they still have $2. I doubt they are old enough to understand that and would still have money leftover.

I personally would just not make the Mickey Mouse diapers an option. If your SIL is the only one buying them than there's no way for your kids to need them. Id buy them an extra pack of underwear to keep at grandmas for accidents. And if she needs to use diapers (which if they are trained I wouldn't) then I would get generic ones. It sounds like they are being "rewarded" with the huggies for accidents so just take that particular "reward" out of the equation. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • ashiscute said:
    I'm a little confused. Are the accidents only happening at your moms or all of the time? Who is providing the Mickey Mouse pull-ups? Isn't it possible to just make those not an option? I would not take money away for two reasons. I don't think you should punish for accidents. But also I agree with curling that he punishment is too abstract. If they earned $5 this week but had $3 taken due to accidents they still have $2. I doubt they are old enough to understand that and would still have money leftover. I personally would just not make the Mickey Mouse diapers an option. If your SIL is the only one buying them than there's no way for your kids to need them. Id buy them an extra pack of underwear to keep at grandmas for accidents. And if she needs to use diapers (which if they are trained I wouldn't) then I would get generic ones. It sounds like they are being "rewarded" with the huggies for accidents so just take that particular "reward" out of the equation. Good luck!
    At home they haven't had an accident in over a week. My mom after a couple accidents "gives up"... and I can't get her to encourage them todo better when they have an accident. Nor can I find another babysitter that I can afford... So I was hoping to find something that could keep them motivated while they are at her house. They can pull everything down, go, wipe, pull everything back up, and wash their hands on their own so they don't need any help, just "reminders". 

I am starting to think that a babysitter is just not going to be an option. 
  • Ok. I wasn't sure if the accidents were all the time. If your mom won't deal with accidents I'd ask her if she would be willing to use boring white pull-ups on the kids so they aren't getting the Mickey ones. You could probably get generic from any store.

If she isn't interested I think you might want to look for other child care options unfortunately. Good luck!
  • They are almost three, they have been potty trained for about 6 months. We switched the banks to the mini M&M tubes... and when they have an on-purpose we take one coin out of it and they have to put it back in the dish they HATE having to do it and it has completely cut out on-purposes, although they are still having an occasional accident. We also bought a case of Thomas the train pull-ups for while they are away from the house and it really seems to be helping the on-purposes at my mom's house too. Knowing, they are going to get the same pull-up regardless of on-purposes, and that having an on-purpose results in no additional attention but going on the potty does eliminates the attention aspect as well... Atleast for my kids. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"