July 2015 Moms

Hyperthyroidism/Thyroid Issues and pregnant?

Just wanted to see if there was anyone else. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism on October 10th, and started meds. Found out I was pregnant on the 31st. It's been a bit of a roller coaster getting meds switched, seeing an endocrinologist, etc. I'm higher risk anyway due to my loss history, and this just makes it more so. SO nervous. Even though I already had a u/s done at 7 weeks, I'm anxious for my next one on Dec 16.

^Caleb^ - 4/13/08, stillborn at 33 weeks
^Angel 1^ - 9/2009, m/c at 4.5 weeks
Benjamin - 6/25/09, Happy and Healthy!!!
^Angel 2^ - 9/2010, m/c at 8 weeks
^Angel 3^ - 3/2011, m/c at 7.5 weeks
Nathaniel - 1/17/12, Happy and Healthy!!!

^Samuel^ - 7/11/13, m/c at 11 weeks
BFP - due 7/14/15, praying for a Happy and Healthy baby!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hyperthyroidism/Thyroid Issues and pregnant?

• I have Graves Disease (hyperthyroid). It was controlled and went into remission a year prior to conceiving DS. My endocrinologist monitored my levels every 4 weeks throughout. My levels stayed normal, no medication required. With this one, my endocrinologist also is monitoring, but is more concerned with the first 12 weeks since my levels have been fine for over two years now. They will likely test LO when he/she is born. There is an increased risk for preterm labor, and low birthweight when hyperthyroidism is not well-controlled. Just keep your appointments with your Endo, keep your OB in the loop, and monitor your symptoms. Keep a log! If anything seems off, call and get labs done. They suck, but it's what is best for the baby. I had no problems in my first pregnancy and my son is healthy and no signs of thyroid troubles. Happy thoughts coming your way!
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
  • Was not diagnosed with Graves, but everything happened really quickly. Both my OB and the endo I saw said my m/c last year could have been due to undiagnosed hyperthyroid. My symptoms didn't really go back any further to where it could have contributed to my earlier losses. Honestly I'm more scared of the higher risk of m/c and stillbirth than I am passing on thyroid issues (sad but true). Having experienced my first son being stillborn and 4 other miscarriages, I don't need anymore added risk. :/ I am on PTU/Propylthirouracil but not a full dose. My OB is very supportive. I didn't really care for the endo I saw just after I found out I was pregnant. She told me to call when I found out the pregnancy wasn't viable, but so far have not been able to get in with anyone else. I'll have repeat labs on the 16th, but things seem better under control (blood pressure, pulse, hot flashes, etc.)
    @katdesear - Thank you for posting. That is very encouraging that your levels stayed normal. :)

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Your OB can pull labs as well (mine did anyway) and monitor your levels also if you'd prefer to avoid the asshat you saw. I cannot believe he'd say such a heartless thing! They are not so great at interpreting results if they don't fall within the normal range. Maybe you could only see the Endo if your levels fall out of normal?
    BFP January 11, 2013
  • Thanks. I'll check out the boards on babycenter. My OB is putting in a call to an endo he would like to go see but isn't taking new patients. I'm supposed to have monthly labs and see the current endo every 3 months. My OB's office will likely be running all of the labs since I have to get other monthly tests done too.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I had thyroid cancer so I have no thyroid and rely completely on medication to regulate my thyroid levels. You should have lab work completed monthly during your pregnancy, but it sounds like your doctor is on that. Just be vigilant about your medication.

FWIW, it took me about 6 months during my first pregnancy to become regulated. At one point I was hyperthyroid, at another point I was very hypothyroid. My son was born full-term and healthy even with the thyroid rollercoaster.

Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also have Graves' disease. I feel so bad for those of you that hate your endo. I absolutely LOVE my doctor. I have been in remission for 4 years. I called my doctor as soon as I found out I was pregnant and she sent me the next day for labs. With a little tweak to my sin thyroid I'm good to go. I do go see her now every 6 weeks throughout my pregnancy. Which for me is great because I love her and her office staff. Good luck to all of you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also have hashimotos. I've been on thyroid meds for a few years. I've never gone to an endo though, it's always just been regulated by my PCP, and then since I was seeing my RE so often she started watching it as well.

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I just got diagnosed with hypothyroid at the start of my pregnancy. Just went for labs today and they upped my synthroid from 25mcg to 50mcg
    ~Jenny~

BabyFruit Ticker
    Excitedly Expecting our first!      EDD July 10

VOTE on my Name List
  • @Trebletrouble13‌, I'm so jealous of your a symptomatic-ness (?)!!! I've had "normal" results for years now and been off my PTU for almost 3 years, but I still have all the symptoms :-(
    BFP January 11, 2013
  • I have PCOS and when I let my endo know I was pregnant she ordered earlier labs including thyroid. My # is the normal range but barely so she started me on synthroid and wants to monitor through at least labs every 4 weeks. I love my endo as well.
  • I have been on compounded T3 for about a year now. My OB said definitely to stay on the medicine and to check up with my regular doctor who prescribes it each trimester. This way he can test to make sure doesages don't need changed along the way because pregnancy can change the way your thyroid works.
  • Many people with thyroid issues have normal levels on medication but still have symptoms. Its a common problem and is usually due to people being on the wrong medication. Synthyroid is the biggest medication out there that does it. I've has hypothyroidism for 8 years now so I've seen my fair share of what works and what doesnt! Pregnancy messed heavily with my levels the first time but not the second. This pregnancy is acting like my first. I've already had my medication upped once and am required to have it checked every 4 weeks. Hopefully it doesn't go up to much I'm running out of dosages!
  • I have hypothyroidism as well. I'm taking synthryoid as well. I get my labs done on Wednesday. I was told that if there is any change it'll probably be 1 pill for 5 days, the following day 2 pills, then the final day no pill. I'm hoping that it's all in the "normal" range when I get the results.
    image image 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"