July 2014 Moms
Options

Sippy Cups

nolemomma14nolemomma14 member
edited December 2014 in July 2014 Moms
I was taking a drink today, and DS kept reaching for the cup and opening his mouth. He does that regardless of what is in my hand, so I don't think it's a sign he's ready for a sippy cup, but it did get me thinking.

So when do you plan to introduce a sippy cup to LO, or when did you introduce one if you have an older child? Will you put water in it, or just some formula/breast milk?

Edit to add: what kind of sippy cup will you use?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Sippy Cups

• Options
    I'm interested in responses to this too. DS always reaches for my drinks and puts his mouth on every cup I hold!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD1 was 4 months when I gave her a sippy cup (empty) to play with whenever I needed her to not maul my drink. She started out by just playing with it, then started mashing it into her face and eventually got the hang of putting it in her mouth by herself. 

This was 6 years ago so guidance may have changed. Her first drink in it was milk at about 5 months then gradually introduced baby juice (not sure if that's a thing here or not) or water sometime after 6 months.

I gave her a toothbrush to play with long before she had teeth too, to get her used to the texture and the concept seemed to work so DD2 (5 months) has got a spoon and a sippy cup that come out when the adults are eating or drinking.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started giving DS a sippy cup with a little bit of water or watered down Apple juice around 6 months and I plan to do the same with DD. I started using the soft tip nuby cups but they leaked so I switched to the munchkin cups. I'm planning on getting a couple short sippy cups for DD to start with, and they will probably end up being a stocking stuffer for her.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited December 2014
    If I recall correctly, I started offering a sippy of water around 7 months and I think I started with a Nuby soft spout cup.
  • Options
    eta: like this one
  • Options
    We will probably start with a straw sippy around 6 months with a little water or breastmilk.
  • Options
    I feel like it was around 9 months for DS, but that seems late, so maybe we started earlier. I know that we did only put breast milk in them until we switched to WCM at 12 months. We'll probably do the same this time. We started with the soft spout sippys that are more similar to a bottle nipple.
  • Options
    FTM here so no firsthand experience. The AAP recommends introducing a cup at 6mos with breastmilk or formula. Since that is the recommendation, we are going to try at 6 mos. We have already let her play with empty sippys a few times.

• Options
    abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited December 2014
    With DS, age 5, we offered it around 7 months with formula, but he never got the hang until around 10 months, by 1 year we were completely done with the bottle.For months it was more of just exposure by play, he would not drink much, mostly just spill it. Never did juice until about age 3 and started water at age 1. We tried all different kinds of sippy cups, from very expensive control flows to the take and toss cheapies. Take and Toss is what ended up being our preference. 

DD's pedi said formula or water in a sippy at 6 months.
  • Options
    One of the monthly emails I get was talking about introducing LO to sippy cups now, but a lot of the responses to that email were voicing that for most babies, it was too soon.  FTM here, so I'm not going to introduce him to any just yet, but giving him one to play with/mouth sounds like a great introduction.  I'll ask the pedi about it next week when we go for for the very-belated 4 month exam and shots.

• Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I gave one to DS to play with today. He held it pretty well, and if anything it kept him entertained for a while!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I've been giving my LO a sippy cup with breast milk in it at dinner since 3.5 months. Only in the past 2 weeks is she really understanding it! She really resisted the bottle (no trouble now) but a sippy cup was suggested as an alternative! It doesn't hurt anything to give it to them now with breastmilk or formula!!!
  • Options
    I am horrible at being able to keep bottles and sippy cups clean (even with a dishwasher). So I really enjoy using Tupperware cups with the white sippy lids for when the kids are at the table. They aren't spill proof but super easy to keep clean bc there are no valves or anything.

The bonus to them is that you take off the lid and use the cup as a regular cup when you're ready to transition. And the child is already used to the feel of the cup itself, which I feel helps make the transition smoother.

The downside, obviously, is that there could be a lot of spills. We haven't had many (I can only recall two) but I'm sure this LO would love to change that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"