One & Done: Only child

Toddler bed questions

So-- I think it's time for the transition to a toddler bed, finally. (If you are on mobile-- DD is nearly 3!)

A few questions:

How long did it take your LO to get adjusted to the idea of having "free range" in their room?  I have always kept DD's door closed and would continue to do so, but I do have a video monitor that I would continue to use.

Do most/ all toddler beds take crib mattresses?  Or do I have to buy a new mattress?

What about bedding?  I am assuming if the crib mattress works, maybe I just need to buy a "toddler" quilt?  Right now she just uses a fleece blanket as a cover.

Thanks, and hold me.  I'm scared.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

Re: Toddler bed questions

• Thanks ladies!

Yeah, she still hasn't figured out how to climb out of the crib, but lately she's been asking to sleep in the small foam pull out Mickey Mouse couch she has so I think she is ready for the change.

I think we will do some shopping this weekend and pick out some new bedding!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• My suggestion at her age is to skip the toddler bed and just get a twin mattress for the floor and buy a bed frame when you're no longer concerned she will fall out.  But I'm a hippie and have had L on a floor bed since he was five months old.  And also he's a terrible sleeper.  So maybe don't take advice from me! ;P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Does she get to pick the bed, too? We got a kick ass Lightning McQueen bed and that helped his interest a lot. There's headlights on it that light up and he loves to get himself all ready for bed now "I have to put the lights on, Mama!" (They're timed to go off after like 5 minutes so they're a great nightlight). It also converts from a toddler to a twin bed so we'll get some time out of it. We never had much of an issue with him leaving the bed during the night but the first week we had to do quite a bit of encouraging to get him to relax and just lay down so he could go to sleep. The excitement of the change plus his awesome car bed were a bit overwhelming.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• So I took the plunge and ordered this (her nursery furniture is also white).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031AO1OW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am going to be psyching her up the next few days for it's arrival.  Thanks for the advice!

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I stuck her crib mattress directly on the floor.  I transitioned her at 21 months.  At first she would wind up half or completely on the floor, still sound asleep.  After a few weeks I put a twin mattress on the floor and she slept on that for a few months.  Once I was confident she wouldn't fall off (which was really after only a few weeks) I put a platform bed under the mattress and built a (freaking awesome!) custom headboard. ;)  I don't regret skipping a toddler bed, though they are quite cute!

The biggest challenge is her getting up and coming to our bed in the middle of the night but that only happens when she is not feeling well.  Typically she STTN.  But she wakes early and come to our bedroom too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"