3rd Trimester

Size and people's big mouths

So I'll be 30 weeks in a couple days. I'm high risk because of Type 1 Diabetes, so I worry a lot, like any momma-to-be, about my baby being healthy.

I have heard this entire pregnancy how "small" my bump is. I am not a skinny person so it's not my body type. It gets to me sometimes because it makes me worry that something isn't right. My doctors tell me everything is perfectly fine so I usually don't let it stress me out, but I do hate it.

Today though, someone I work with literally said "You're 30 weeks??? Is it...ya know...healthy??" I couldn't believe someone would ask that! Way to make a person feel insecure.

You gals getting any of these people with no filters talking to you about how small/big you look?

Married 11/2008. Started TTC January 2014.
BFP 3/30/14. <3 EDD 12/4/14
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Size and people's big mouths

• We went out to dinner the night of my induction (39w3d) and a couple of older ladies told me I needed a new doctor because there was no way I was more than 7mo along. I just smiled and nodded as we went to our table. Try not to let it get to you, they have no idea what they're talking about. Not everyone gets really big and some people will comment either way.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited September 2014
    Especially if this is your first being small is normal. Some people just don't ever get huge. You are 30 weeks, trust me when I say you have plenty of time to get huge.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah people tell me I'm comically huge (including DH) and it doesn't bother me. But that's kind of my personality, I often make fun of myself. I have a friend who is more pregnant than me and looks much smaller, but she also has way tighter abs which I read can hold the baby in better. (She is an exercise fan and I don't exercise at all).

What annoys me is when people suddenly think they are medical experts, saying things like "is that healthy" or whatnot. My pregnancy has been pretty normal and unexciting so far (which is good) but a lot of people still treat me like I'm sick and should spend 9 months doing nothing!
  • I've been told twice now that I look like I'm going to pop any second and if I'm sure I'm not having twins.  I'm at 32 wks and have only gained 16 lbs this entire pregnancy.....I think people just don't have filters and/or manners, and think they have to make a comment if they see a bump of any kind.  It's annoying, but as long as your doc says you're healthy and the baby is too, then who cares what some ignorant stranger says.
  • As long as your dr says you are healthy, that's all you need to be concerned with. People will give you comments and just gotta start ignoring the advice/ comments people make.
    The minute people find out you are expecting, the filters are off... and even after you have your baby... more comments such as... should you have lost more baby weight right away, to your baby's eating schedule etc...
    Its annoying but might as well as get used to it now... otherwise it's going to be a long several years for you!
  • Yea my last baby bump was little. I just never got that big (although i certainly felt huge). Since I had her 2 months ago I've had people basically imply that I'm lying about her being a week late bc theres just "no way" my belly was that of a full term baby belly. I can't figure out what the benefit of lying about it would be. People are just stupid sometimes!
  • My lovely boss has absolutely no problems telling me that I'm huge or very big.  It really pisses me off - and my boss is a woman!  My boss should know better.  I'm waiting for the day that she catches me on a bad emotional day and I flip shit on her.
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• Welcome to pregnancy, where other people lose their common sense filter and make inappropriate comments about your body.  I think it happens to just about all of us.  I've had people in the grocery store comment on how big my bump is and how much my baby must weigh.  At this point, I just smile and keep walking or walk away.

As long as you and your health care provider think that you and baby are healthy, try not to worry about it.  Easier said than done, I know!  I've started ignoring people at this point and pretending I didn't hear them.  

• People can be very inconsiderate. Try not to let it bother you. Your Dr. would tell you if something were wrong. I have been told numerous times how little I am. I try to take it as a compliment and move on.

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

• Oh yea, I'm 29 weeks, but about 2 weeks ago one lady asked me how much time I had left. when I told her, she looked at me with such wide eyes, asked me if it were twins. When I said no she commented about my weight. It's like she just read the article 'What Not To Say to pregnnat Women"....
  • I would not let it bother you , people speak with out thinking. I am 35 weeks pregnant and people tell me all the time they know how people can hide pregnancies by looking at me. Everybody carries differently some big some small, as long as your doctors say the baby is good your good.
  • Every one says my bump is small also. It is scary, my sister says stuff like " wow you look small today" I'm 37 weeks Sunday so it's frightening. I hope it's just because I'm tall and the baby has started dropping. Im just trying to trust my doctors. Good luck to you. Hope all goes great for you and LO.
  • People tell me all of the time I am too small. Yesterday I told someone when I was due and they said What?? you better start eating!

I had my 28 week appt today and the doctor said the baby is measuring right on track and is perfectly healthy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• I am 32 weeks, and people tell me all the time I look like I'm about to pop.
    I've been getting it for about the past month to month and a half. One lady asked me if I was sure there was only 1 baby, and that she was amazed I was this big so soon with my first baby. I am definitely all baby, I had someone else tell me they couldn't tell I was pregnant from the back. The majority of the comments I get are from women, which absolutely kills me. I have no idea why people think it's okay to comment on it! I've gained a total of 10 pounds due to losing a lot in the first trimester. People are crazy!

DH: 29 years old.
    Me: 25 years old.
    DS: born 12/30/14
    Baby #2 due 6/8/18

• I get comments ranging anywhere from 'Girl, you NEED to gain some weight!' to stupid jokes such as 'You know how in soap operas someone is always wearing a padded belly and faking a pregnancy, yeah, that's what you look like!' to 'Are you sure everything is alright with the baby, you're just very small.'

I usually don't let it get to me, but sometimes I'm having a bad day or week and it brings me down, especially because some of these people get carried away and don't stop at one comment, others have mostly bothered me because I thought they were supposed to be my friends but they were acting more like 'frenemies', which was unexpected. 

Hang in there and try to remember that there's no reason for baby not to be fine, and if doctors believe so as well, that's all that matters. 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't mind the "you're huge" or "omg you still have how long?" comments because I know I look monstrous. Being only 4'10", there's literally nowhere for baby to go except OUT, but what bothered me is when FI's mom commented that I look a lot smaller than last time (which I do because I started this pregnancy almost 15lbs lighter than the last one), and that the last time she saw me she thought to herself that I needed to eat more. WTF. That pissed me right off, since, ya know, I was feeling good about my weight, and overall weight-gain so far, and I eat constantly all day long.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't understand why being pregnant gives everyone the green light to comment on your body. It makes me so mad and never in my life have I thought to tell anyone that they are big/small/whatever.  

I have a long abdomen and don't put on weight easily. I'm 28 weeks and have gained 10-15 lbs (not sure, 3 weeks since last appt). But during pregnancy I've cleaned up my diet and had a really good workout routine so I think I've lost fat while gaining baby weight. At my 20 week scan the doctor actually exclaimed how the baby was literally measuring perfect for gestation - to the exact day which he said was rare. But through my entire pregnancy I've had people tell my I look small and it is really irritating. I definitely don't feel small!! I don't want anyone to comment on my body shape and I feel like family is constantly sizing me up one way or another and commenting on my bump/baby/pregnancy. I love being pregnant but I hate the attention. 

I also get tons of people telling me they can tell for sure I am having a boy or girl based on how I'm carrying. We're team green and have no idea either way. It makes me laugh because of course that's silly. My mom looked just like the old wives tales say a boy looks (all out in front) and had two daughters, gaining 20 lbs or less each time. 

If your doctor/midwife says you're fine, ignore everyone else. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have gained the normal pregnancy weight and people tell me how big I am all the time and how I wont make it to my due date. My doctor said I'm right on track. Everyone has different body frames and carries differently so I just shrug off the comments.
  • I had all kinds of issues this, my fourth, pregnancy. I ended up losing so much weight that I didn't weigh more than my pre pregnancy weight until week 35! I had gained about 12lbs my whole pregnancy. I got all kinds of questions about my health. I admit, that at times I looked sickly. But shouldn't that make someone more concerned and less nasty? Nope. Then one woman who gave me unsolicited comments about me being too skinny saw me 4 days after delivery and said I still look pregnant. When I reminded her that I just had the baby, I'm 38 and this is my fourth, her response was "So?" I don't think I've ever wanted to punch another woman in the face like I wanted to her. When I get back to work, guess who I won't be sharing photos with, or introducing to the baby!
  • I get this all the time and I try to let it roll off my back. I got this comment a lot the first time as well but it was much harder to deal with it as LO was measuring small and I had to go for a number of follow up ultrasounds. People just can't help themselves sometimes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People are clueless and as a PP said don't know a thing about how one person should look at x weeks. I wasn't really showing for the longest time, until about 30 + weeks. I asked my ob and she said I can tell and not to worry. I am big all around and have had weight issues so I guess people just see me as fat. I have been gaining weight. I am 33 1/2 weeks right now and people just now notice my bump. They still think I am small but as long as your doc says you are on track there is noting more to say. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People are so inconsiderate and don't have a filter.  

A redneck moron in Carters yesterday told me that I look like I'm about to pop and asked if I was due any day now.  No, jerk, I still have 2 months, but I'm having two babies.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I love the comment "I really don't think they calculated your due date correctly"....yeah, because doctors always screw up on that one.  And I've gotten that comment from three women..who have kids!  Just ridiculous.  I agree with all of you, just tell me I look great (even though I don't feel like it) and move on.  There is one woman at my office who always tells me that I'm what every glowing mam to be should look like...I LOVE talking to her.  Just find those people that make you feel great and when you hear a rude comment go talk to the nice people.  There is a guy at work whenever I walk past him he takes in a breath of air and plasters himself up against the wall like I need to be reminded that my belly is big.  Thanks jerk, I'm 34 weeks pregnant.  
  • Just this morning I was at the grocery store and one person asked and was shocked I still had 7 weeks to go because they said I was huge and must be having a giant baby or twins.  3 aisles later someone else said they couldn't believe I only had 7 weeks to go because I was so tiny.  Go figure.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You are 30 weeks, trust me when I say you have plenty of time to get huge.
    YES!  People are stupid and don't always think before they speak (for example my own uncle said I look as big as house…I wanted to slap him).  I am 38 weeks today and even in the last 4 weeks my belly has gotten quite large.  You still have plenty of time, but even if your belly doesn't get huge that is no indication that there is anything wrong with your baby.  Don't listen to anyone else but your doctor.  Every woman carries her baby differently, even from pregnancy to pregnancy, so if you're carrying small that is just how this baby was supposed to be carried.  When people say stupid things just smile, nod and go about your business.
  • I'm constantly being asked if I am carrying twins. I just want to punch them especially because my FH hasn't grown in three weeks so I've been worried about bub not growing. Thanks guys..
  • I think people think they're complimenting you when they say things like that.... I don't really get it.

I'm 5'4", short torso, slightly overweight to begin with............. it always floors me when people make comments about my large size.  Do I honestly look like I was a twig before I got pregnant?  Puhlease, it has taken years to double up on the chins, dudes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"