One & Done: Only child

What's the big Christmas gift this year?

Nobody's in the office today and I don't feel like working so I'm online shopping, which led me to wonder what big gift (if any) are you getting your kids for Christmas/whatever you celebrate this year? I've been trying to tone it down on the amount of stuff I buy for him-- I find I'm way more excited about getting a lot of things than he is-- so this year, I'm trying to do like two or three substantial gifts and limited small stuff. He's getting a new set of wooden tracks/playset for this train table, which I decided on because he told me "This needs more bridges, Mommy." I got him a plasma car and we'll see if he can figure that out. I mistakenly got him a battery-powered ride-on last year and he is nowhere near ready to drive that thing. He can do the foot pedal or the wheel-- not both-- and he's a maniac behind the wheel so I was hoping he could handle the plasma car a bit better since it's really only one task. I bought him a few more train accessories, a new soccer ball and some dinosaur books (we're really into dinos right now). 

I'm telling myself to be done now (as I online shop). How about you?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What's the big Christmas gift this year?

• Josie is the only grandchild and her birthday is in January, so I usually don't buy her much :\">

I did order her an easel that has a wipe off board on one side, and the other side you can paint.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Congrats @bostonkisses‌

I have no idea what the big gift will be! His birthday is in the beginning of December and then with christmas right after it usually takes me a while to decide. I'm honestly out of ideas- we really don't want to just buy toys just because and he doesn't have a lot and I still can't decide. The only thing I know for sure is he is getting magna tiles.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The 'big' item is an anywhere chair.  I'm kind of regretting it because now that I see it in person, I think they're kind of overrated and I could have put the money toward a bitty baby for her.  Oh well, she'll love it so it's all good.  She's getting a ton of other stuff but that's the most expensive item.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• dmlk413 said:
    The 'big' item is an anywhere chair.  I'm kind of regretting it because now that I see it in person, I think they're kind of overrated and I could have put the money toward a bitty baby for her.  Oh well, she'll love it so it's all good.  She's getting a ton of other stuff but that's the most expensive item.
    @dmlk413 We have the Land of Nod version that I bought him for his first Christmas and I'll tell you that by the time he turned 16/18 months, he has used it every day. Now at 2.5, he pulls it around to different rooms with him to use, uses it to do blanket forts sometimes he flips it over and lays on the back of it. It totally gets used, has held up great and was well worth it. I realize that it doesn't look like much and I don't deny that $100 is a bit much to pay for foam but it has worked out really well.

• eyenigh said:
    dmlk413 said:
    The 'big' item is an anywhere chair.  I'm kind of regretting it because now that I see it in person, I think they're kind of overrated and I could have put the money toward a bitty baby for her.  Oh well, she'll love it so it's all good.  She's getting a ton of other stuff but that's the most expensive item.
    @dmlk413 We have the Land of Nod version that I bought him for his first Christmas and I'll tell you that by the time he turned 16/18 months, he has used it every day. Now at 2.5, he pulls it around to different rooms with him to use, uses it to do blanket forts sometimes he flips it over and lays on the back of it. It totally gets used, has held up great and was well worth it. I realize that it doesn't look like much and I don't deny that $100 is a bit much to pay for foam but it has worked out really well.
    I'm so glad to hear that!
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I did order her an easel that has a wipe off board on one side, and the other side you can paint.

Which easel is that? I'm looking for one, too. 
    Don't buy the Magic Cabin one. It's very nifty. Marker board on one side and chalkboard on the other. With a roll of paper in the middle for painting on either side. LO has had it for two years now and uses it constantly. BUT they are always out of refill paper. And also always send us the wrong size. Melissa & Doug would have been less frustrating for us.
  • I did put flannel sheets (yes they're insane) on the wishlist for his grandparents but that's the only thing over like $30 we've come up with this year.
  • DD is getting a Nintendo 2DS. And a Zoomer Zuppies. And a Go Go Walkin Pup. She may be slightly spoiled ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • I'm late, but this is the first year I feel like we moved from more "little kid" toys to big kid stuff- it made me sad!  We bought a wii u a few months ago so she asked for games (just dance, lego stuff and wipeout).  She asked for minecraft things and a bunch of lego stuff.  And a few arts and crafts type of stuff.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • DD doesn't need anything, but I like gift giving for her (I have to hold myself back), but here is what we are getting her:

A sand art kit

Melissa & Doug wooden food cutting set

A dress-up cape

Lip smackers

A few books

A KU skirt

I am going to buy her some blind bags to go with the lip smackers in her stocking.

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"