March 2014 Moms
Options

Shopping - where does the money come from?

SurpriseAt39SurpriseAt39 member
edited December 2014 in March 2014 Moms
If you were to buy something for yourself/husband/family that was needed and you would have bought anyway, but call it a Christmas gift, do you claim the money spend as 'household needs' or 'Christmas gifts'?
This is for anyone who has a specific budget (or semi-specific) OR anyone who calculates what they've spent on Christmas.

(Could be kids clothes, work clothes, underwear, dishes, bed linens, whatever you need and would have bought at some time in the next month or two anyway)

Shopping - where does the money come from? 46 votes

Household needs
10% 5 votes
Specific needs for specific person
0% 0 votes
Christmas
26% 12 votes
SS - something else
2% 1 vote
I don't know what you're talking about
6% 3 votes
I don't have a 'budget'
41% 19 votes
I don't do Christmas
0% 0 votes
I don't go here
0% 0 votes
Pink polka dots and blue stripes
10% 5 votes
^^ checking to see if you're paying attention
2% 1 vote

Re: Shopping - where does the money come from?

• Options
    We don't have a budget as in, I don't set aside a specific amount for regular needs or Christmas or birthdays.
    We buy what we need and gift what we find that we like to give.

We need new bedding for ourselves, so if we can find some we like before Christmas, that will be our gift to ourselves. (We will call it a Christmas gift when people ask what we got)

When we buy the kids clothes that they need, and toys for fun, we call them Christmas gifts.

We buy what we need when we need it, so if it happens to be near Christmas, that's what we call it. (But we don't specifically allot money)
  • Options
    ugh, I've written out a 1001 budgets; sticking to them is a whole 'nother ballgame.  We are broke so we have what I call we have to buy this to live items and the I am splurging items.  Sometimes my splurge items is creamer...seriously.  Ok, but for real I do a little of what pp stated, if it is an item needed OR wanted and it is purchased near/during Christmas then it is a Christmas item.  For instance two weeks ago I got my 11 yr old pants and new shoes... guess what he recognizes that was part of his Christmas gift.  It isn't fun nor pretty being broke but it is reality.  Thankfully my boys do not truly go without but they are also very blessed by having a generous grandmother, and sort of able to be generous grandparents.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I help my grandma every week and draw up her insulin for her.  She insists on paying me for it even though I have told her multiple times she does not have to.  So what I do is put that money into a jar all year  and use it for LO's Christmas and birthday.  it ends up being about 500$ (10/week).  what ever is left will go into her college fund after her birthday and the cycle will start again.  as for me and the hubs.  we don't but gifts per se, but we will get something for us each year.  this year was a gun safe for the ranch,  last year was new tires for both our vehicles.   
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @kelley72‌
    I am no longer in that situation, but there was a time that some months I literally had $10 at the end of the month. (Pre kids)
    I tried to do something nice for myself - a new top, a meal at the food court (I always packed my lunch for work and ate at home otherwise), a bottle of wine...whatever I wanted that month that was less than $10.

As for Christmas during that time in my life, I saved like hell to have $50 when December hit. I went to the dollar store, bought supplies and crafted gifts for my family.
  • Options
    Yes, it sucks but we are managing @SurpriseAt39   Just dealing with medical bills out the yinyang...
  • Options
    Ehhh, I don't feel like doing math. Ever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"